Author Topic: WWI Arena Idea  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
WWI Arena Idea
« on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »
OK not going to ask for any big changes or anything like that. But I have noticed that one side either outnumbers the other in a big way and instead of a good fight most times it is a gangbang. Now my idea wont get rid of this but just something to throw out there that may help alittle. Instead of having 3 countries in WWI how about just 2 countries for the time being. No other changes.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: WWI Arena Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
OK not going to ask for any big changes or anything like that. But I have noticed that one side either outnumbers the other in a big way and instead of a good fight most times it is a gangbang. Now my idea wont get rid of this but just something to throw out there that may help alittle. Instead of having 3 countries in WWI how about just 2 countries for the time being. No other changes.

Warchief,

IMHO its exactly the opposite problem. 

This is an issue that had already been largly solved by the proper implementation of a 3 country system in the MA.  Its a LOT harder for a team to bulldoze 2 separate countries than it is in a 2 country situation.  The 2 weaker will always gang up on the 1 stronger.  Until the balence shifts, then alliances switch.

I think currently in the WWI because of the field layout, what you have devolved into are 2 country wars between opposing fields.  This allows a stable negative feedback to setup.  The 3rd country can not effectively get into the mix to destabalize it. 

Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:11 PM »
An arena w/o balance is not a good arena. HTC has a good system for maintaining the balance. That system should be in place in WWI and in any "furball" environments that the game offers. Anything else is contradiction.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:21 PM »
The problem of side balancing can only be solved within the space between people's ears.  If people actually cared about fair fights, they'd switch sides to even things out.  Nothing HTC can do will change the mentality of people.  Too many of them only care about getting a kill, or covering their lack of skills by hiding in the cloud of green icons.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline BMathis

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 07:09:33 PM »

Warchief,

IMHO its exactly the opposite problem. 

Regards,
Wab
Unfortunately that's exactly the first thing that came to mind... 

Just a fyi:  You can switch countries freely in the WW1 arena, I believe without a time sitting penalty.  Go to the low side and enjoy some SA practice
BMathis
B~Smooth Xtreme Racing (Retired)
Aces High CM Staff (Retired) [Koth, Xtreme Racing League]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
Wab is correct and Imadot is correct.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Warchief

• Copper Member
      • http://
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »
I love the fights so I tend to switch to lowest number country in the WWI Arena just trying to figure out a way to keep it balanced and even.

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »

This idea will only make it worse.

Now you will have one side ganging the other with no third country for the ones who want to fight to go to. The gang will just chase every single con all over the map.

There are three contries with two bases each. Plenty of room for others to choose to up from a distant base and start a DIFFERENT fight.

Attempting to FORCE a hord into not hording will not work.

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »
Unfortunately that's exactly the first thing that came to mind... 

Just a fyi:  You can switch countries freely in the WW1 arena, I believe without a time sitting penalty.  Go to the low side and enjoy some SA practice

Indeed.  And I make it a habit to do so if I notice a trend of one side getting beat down.

But you know, I've noticed something funny.  Often there isn't even a numbers imbalance.  At least not enough to explain one side getting beat down so hard.  Often I think its simply a matter of momentum.

I think sometimes a side just gets knocked off balance and loses momentum.  That starts the self-reinforce.  Pretty soon they are just circling in their ack feeling helpless. 

If at this moment, the third country had a base at equal distance, they would have a nice, juicy, strung out conga line of the dominant country to attack at the flanks.  The dominant country would have to re-vector and defend their flank.  This would give the beat down country a chance to recover and get back in the fight.  Rock, paper, scissors. Rock, paper, scissors. The system is constantly being perturbed.  A negative feedback loop has a hard time establishing.

But you are correct.  If people want a quality gaming environment, they all have to take some responsibility to help keep the odd reasonably even.  The arena design can either help or hinder that.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
The problem of side balancing can only be solved within the space between people's ears.
Every once in a while someone on here says something truly beautiful.  Nicely said Dot.

To those with some sort of phallic devotion to a chess piece in spite of overwhelming advantage I say "bullocks".
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
Two sides and a front might actually be a reasonable idea.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:47:14 PM »
The problem of side balancing can only be solved within the space between people's ears.  If people actually cared about fair fights, they'd switch sides to even things out.  Nothing HTC can do will change the mentality of people.  Too many of them only care about getting a kill, or covering their lack of skills by hiding in the cloud of green icons.

No. U can force balance by makng ppl fly lesser planes and letting the ones that are outnumbered fly planes with an advantage. Now of course the argument of "the pilot makes the difference not the planes" may rear it's head.  To that argument I say that that only applies to the minority of pilots. The masses are balanaced by the planes available.  Enable the system that has already been created and is in use (in some arenas) and u will solve the majority of the problem.  U will force ppl to not be tards.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 09:51:20 PM by SunBat »
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:09 PM »
Yeah... the system in the MA has sure forced people not to be tards.   :rock
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:24 PM »
The facts are that oft times it is only a two sided war in WWI, since there is no capture and no strat the 3 country thing is not nearly as important for balance (which is why I think HTC will flesh out WWI) :banana:
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Why can't we have one arena named TOAD and another for the rest of us that would like a fully developed arena?

Sounds good to me  :aok
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520