Author Topic: Something you may enjoy, for free - really :)  (Read 413 times)

Offline SCTusk

• Copper Member
      • Skeleton Crew Squadron
Something you may enjoy, for free - really :)
« on: April 06, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »
If you are interested in World War 1 air combat novels (there aren't really that many out there) I've hammered out a free online one just for fun. Here's a brief extract, so you can decide if it's worth your time:

With some effort Gunn managed to stop retching and found himself staring at the altimeter. The needle had passed through 16,000 feet and was unwinding towards 15. He wasn't sure what had happened but felt like a man regaining consciousness after an accident. There was vomit all around the nosepit, he remembered some of that but the rest was unclear. He was spinning, his engine was dead, the propeller milling slowly in the turbulence. Without conscious thought he kicked the rudder and put the nose down, recovering from the spin and diving to pick up speed. The prop spun up, he reset the throttle and mixture and restarted the engine. There were bullet holes everywhere. He pulled up sharply, full throttle now and banking hard to port, looking around quickly for signs of his enemy. An Albatross, coming at him from above, 2 o'clock. He threw the machine around to the right, diving then climbing obliquely across the path of the 'V' strutter, presenting a difficult target, coming up and back around to the left early to fall in behind as the German pilot cursed and went high. Gunns' nose was down, picking up speed again after the manoeuvre, watching the Albatross pull away. There was barely a moment, a fleeting chance at one point in space and time and one point only where Gunn might raise his nose with enough speed to shoot at the departing Hun while still in range; he pulled gently back on the stick and flying his aircraft into that point he pressed the firing button.

You can read it all at http://www.ww1sims.com/

And like I said, free and strictly for the enjoyment of the flight sim community, which has given me so much over the years; thank you. Salute.  :)
"We don't have a plan, so nothing can go wrong." (Spike Milligan)

Read my WW1 online novel 'Blood and Old Bones' at http://www.ww1sims.com/
A tribute to WW1 airmen and the squadron spirit, inspired by virtual air combat.

SCTusk    ++ SKELETON CREW ++  founde

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: Something you may enjoy, for free - really :)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks SC, I will enjoy this greatly!   :salute

-Penguin

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »
 :aok

Very good.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
(there aren't really that many out there)

Most likely after WWII the WWI air war novels weren’t that glamorous anymore. Kind of like watching a model T-Ford race on today’s NASCAR racetracks.