Author Topic: Bombardier issue  (Read 1192 times)

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
Bombardier issue
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »
When one pickles a bomb load, salvo all with a delay, and then jumps to a gunner position the bombs stop dropping.  Why?  Since my virtual pilot is still flying, with the settings I left him with, why can't the bomdardier continue to drop bombs?
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
Re: Bombardier issue
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »
Same thing happens when you have troops in an M3.  If you go from drivers seat with a salvo of 10 and move to the gunner seat, the troops will not exit until you are back in the drivers seat.

Couple months ago was taking a base with squaddies and hit the release button and seen the troops exiting.  Jump to gunner position and took a few minutes to figure out why we didn't get the base. Mved back into driver seat and last 4 troops exited the vehicle.

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
well i dont think that has ever hapend to me but i do think the issue needs to be fixed. PS can u tell me how to start a post or subject plz and thank u :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane: :airplane:
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
well i dont think that has ever hapend to me but i do think the issue needs to be fixed. PS can u tell me how to start a post or subject plz and thank u

Don't hijack threads, make a new thread with your question....

:lol
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
Choose "New Topic" from upper right corner....  :bolt:

Offline cooldued

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »
well sry jayhawk and thanks dr death8 well lets get on the Bombardier issue than ok
Planes I'm good in the Bf-109 G14, the B-25C, and the B-17G not many but its nice for me to know :P

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:38:41 PM »
When one pickles a bomb load, salvo all with a delay, and then jumps to a gunner position the bombs stop dropping.  Why?  Since my virtual pilot is still flying, with the settings I left him with, why can't the bomdardier continue to drop bombs?

And, on another note, how about delays greater than 0.99?  The industrial center is a target that needs a longer delay.
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 04:51:17 PM »
The bomb drop stop totaly trashed my mission over an industrial center.

I release the salvo, bombs are dropping.  I get shot down and transfer to buff #2.  I am in the cockpit.  Guess what happened to the bomb drop?  It stopped until and moved to the bombardier position.

I know it has been commented that this is a "bug."  My question, when will it be fixed?  :mad:
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »
It does rather make attacking the lead bomber a priority right at the drop point.  :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 08:10:38 PM »
It does rather make attacking the lead bomber a priority right at the drop point.  :devil

love your sig im doing it right now lol
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:59:45 AM »

How true, unfortunately.  IMHO it should not be so.  Talk about gaming the game.
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 08:23:17 AM »
I wonder if adding a bombardier position that could be killed would effect this?
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »
I wonder if adding a bombardier position that could be killed would effect this?

Seems to me that it is already in effect. 

In reality, the Norden Bomb sight was calibrated/set by the bombardier to a release point.  It would then release automatically when that point was reached.  The bombardier would also hit the bomb release switch as a backup in the event the auto drop failed.  Several different bomb release switches were used over the course of the war.  Initially the manual release was a lever.  Push or toggle it into the down position and bombs would drop.  It also had a toggle switch version.  Toggle the switch and bombs released.  The classic version (as shown in most war movies) was a button release.  All of these were of toggle effect.  Swing, flip, or press and an electrical signal was sent to the release mechanism and bombs dropped.  One did not have to hold the toggle in the "drop" position.  One flick, and they all dropped per salvo settings.

So my point is, once I toggle the bomb release bombs should continue to drop.
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:07 AM »
See:
http://www.303rdbg.com/b17-controls.pdf

It might be slow to load.  It's a 16mb PDF file.

From what I read in this it is my understanding that once the drop is initiated it continues even if the bombardier leaves his position to go to the crapper.  Our "salvo with delay" is the documents "selective."

Trivia note:  In most films and stories the Bombardier announces "bombs away" when he releases the bombs.  In reality, he announced "bombs away" with the last bomb dropped.  This gave a notice to the pilot that the plane was now his to fly. 
2Slow
TANSTAAFL