Author Topic: torpedos  (Read 363 times)

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
torpedos
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:36:17 AM »
Why doesn't AH model the torpedoes properly? If we can have 100lbs and 50kg bombs and up to a 1800kg bombs and all the bombs in between. With all the different guns on all the different aircraft and all the different hitting powers of the said aircraft guns. Then why are the axis and allies torpedoes all mixed in as eather fast running axis or slow running longer running allies.

Axis had the long lance for the Japanese and yet the axis torp we have is well far from the L.L.

I'm not here to say we need the long lance but looking into it we have so many different types of torps used in WWII. Its silly to say the Ju88's torps are the same as the B5N's or Ki67's

ty for your time.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: torpedos
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 02:09:01 AM »
Axis had the long lance for the Japanese and yet the axis torp we have is well far from the L.L.

The long lance wasn't used by planes. (I would like to see a B5N trying to wield a 2.8 tonnes, 9m torpedo  ;))

Comparing the proper air-dropped torpedoes:
The Japanese Type 91 rev 2  weighed  ~840kg and was traveling 2000m at 42 knots.
The German LTF5b weighed ~800kg and traveled 2300m @ 40 knots.

Not that much of a difference.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:23:55 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
Re: torpedos
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 10:54:09 AM »
rgr Lusche ty,
were the torpedos for the Pt and TBM the same? i had a quick look on some page about torpedos of the US but it gave me alot (most never used) and well i just dont know too much about them to say "hay we need this"

And what about the speed they could enter the water? I know in my old game i played it was 200mph area just like in ours, but I guess it just amazes me that the 88 had to slow down to 200 as well.

Like i said i know alot but i know little to nothing about torpedos used and such.

thanks again.

edit: i was looking for german stuff and saw that the german torp used (at least on the HE-111... i know its not an 88) could be changed for speed and range like the japanese torpedos. so when we talk about range and speed being the same it is really just max speed we are looking at is the same.

Drop speeds are close to the same but not the same (i guess i would compair this to being a P51B vs P51D same thing but not in performance)

And the other thing i was trying to get to was why cant we run the torps slower to increase range...  Im not asking for fully adjustable speed/range torps. But you could have the option to pick fast or slow for all countrys if they were adjustable.

This is just info i found on the Fb5 for germany:

Weight 1,598 - 1,790 lbs. (725 - 812 kg)
Overall Length 15 ft 9 in - 16 ft 11.5 in (4.804 -5.160 m)
Explosive Charge 397 - 551  lbs. (180 - 250 kg) Hexanite
Range / Speed 2,200 yards (2,000 m) / 40 knots
6,560 yards (6,000 m) / 24 knots
Power Decahydronaphthalene (Decalin) Wet-Heater

Notes: The F5b was in service from late 1941 to the end of the war with relatively minor changes.  To control flight in the air a wooden K3 tail was used that broke off when entering the water.  This was replaced in 1944 with L2 which was similar but had ailerons operated via a heavy gyro.  The L2 tail permitted increased dropping speeds and heights, the maximums actually achieved were 183 knots and 390 feet (120 m).  The differences in weights and lengths in the table above are due to the different warheads.

Lusche and others ty again for your time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:14:35 AM by USCH »