Author Topic: PBY  (Read 2555 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
PBY
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
Let's have a general discussion on iffen we should have it in the game. Personally, I think it's a awesome idea. War winners could resupply from CV by other means then a LVT. And the furballers would have something to shoot at. It's a win/win situation.

There's no doubt that the PBY played a huge role in the Pacific. Carrier task groups and PBYs goes hand in hand and they deserve a place at the table once and for all. Honor this fine Allied bird and all that flew her, by letting your voice be heard by the powers to be.

All I want out of the deal is a skin maker to make a skin with my name on it.  :uhoh

P.S. I wonder how many lives were saved by her service. I suspect a few ....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 11:30:16 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Re: PBY
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:34:09 AM »
Let's have a general discussion on iffen we should have it in the game. Personally, I think it's a awesome idea. War winners could resupply from CV by other means then a LVT.

I'm no history expert... PBY's flew off carriers?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:43:41 AM »
they will if i get the wheel.  :lol but no maybe they could spawn like a PT boat?
Lighten up Francis

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:01:03 PM »
I'm no history expert... PBY's flew off carriers?

No, PBY's never flew off carriers to my knowledge.   Unfortunately I also don't see how HTC could be consistent and allow them to spawn wet from the CV like a LVT.  PBY's were land based aircraft, it's really unfortunate that they would be so difficult to work a role for them into MA-gameplay because I love the PBY, I think it's just a gorgeous aircraft. 

From what I can gather it's primary roles were anti-submarine, mine laying, search & rescue, recon, and night operations.  None of which really exist in the current MA.

However Wikipedia does list a respectable bomb load for a plane that flew before the war started (4000lbs, assuming it's an accurate figure) and it would be nice to have for events and scenario's.  One idea that came up in a thread awhile back was that it could possible resupply CV groups, while not it's historical role it was kind of a novel idea that I liked.  It could also potentially be another torpedo bomber.  It wasn't designed for that role however a torpedo attack was attempted by a PBY during the Guadalcanal campaign, not sure whether that would qualify as a field mod or not though.

All in all even if it was just a so-so light/medium bomber I'd love to see it in game and would fly it from time to time just like I do with the B-25.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline RedTeck

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:07:29 PM »
Have to add a seaplane tender too I guess
So pick one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Langley_(CV-1)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Curtiss_(AV-4)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Currituck_(AV-7)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tangier_(AV-8) (Interesting history by the way)

Not sure how it would work since I believe both seaplane and vessel had to be stopped for resupply.
Ho's are like Speedos.
Nothing says you can't use it, but no one wants to see it.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:34:14 PM »
I'm all for the PBY if empty beer bottles are one of the ordnance package options.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 12:45:01 PM »
I'm all for the PBY if empty beer bottles are one of the ordnance package options.

ack-ack
I'll be tossing them out as I land on the CV.  :cheers:

Soulyss has a good point that they were land based. That's the main problem. History. I wish i could figure out a way to make it work, but man that's a tough one. Maybe they could only take off from ports? Follow to CV out and land at sea? You'd have a flying resupply right there on the CV. Rearm, rinse, repeat.  Perk it, as it is a badarse bird. It can do alot of things. They had .50s at the waist i believe? Some did some didn't. We need something to burn buff pts anyway. Ar234s are cool, but give me a PBY.  :salute
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 01:01:04 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »
With the paucity of some plane sets I just can't see the justification in adding a gimmicky US aircraft at this time.  If you want to argue for something like the H8K2 which would help one of those under-represented plane sets, sure, but a PBY seems like a bad idea right now.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
I've always liked the idea of PBYs in game, I see them as having 2-3 purposes:

1) Carrier resupply.  I think it would add more depth to CV battles if there was a line of resupply coming in for both sides to consider as well.  More than likely this would require some tweaking so people wouldn't just be flying C47s out there (slightly faster right?).  On a bit of a side note, maybe alter the damage to a carrier to allow ords to be destroyed in some manner.

2) Recon.  Someone came up with this idea and I found it really interesting.  The ability for PBYs to mark positions and directions of enemy carriers for a pre-determined amount of time.  So when someone flies over an enemy carrier, that location and direction is visible to friendlies for 5-10 minutes (or even just while the PBY is within a certain range, encouraging the PBY to circle to keep the location visible).  Other planes would be faster but a marking on the map would be much more accurate and effective (IMO). 

3) Ords, maybe.  This would be something up for discussion, could outfit the PBY with small ord load, but wouldn't be a necessity (until we get subs!).

PBYs could launch in a way similar to PTs boats off of coastal bases, although probably would have to have a separate launch point for the PBY by itself.  The downside is that this requires a lot of little changes (how CVs work, new supplies, the recon thing, the launching) for one plane.  IMO the PBY would be used enough to justify the changes, but I'm not in charge of those decisions.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:39:18 PM »
With the paucity of some plane sets I just can't see the justification in adding a gimmicky US aircraft at this time.  If you want to argue for something like the H8K2 which would help one of those under-represented plane sets, sure, but a PBY seems like a bad idea right now.
 Karnak, you certainly know alot about the history on this stuff then I do. And yes PBYs could even be "gimmicky" <cringes>, but isn't that what online gaming is? I'm just a fan of the PBY, one saved my grandpa, I'd like to have it in the game and fly it.  :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline Jonah

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »
from what i read it doesnt look the PBY does anything interesting. no ords or main gun? what would be the point in having it again?
In game ID now J3WNAH

Sorry Jonah, you are banned from using this forum!
Three day suspension for blatant forum posting rules violation.

"When the time expires you can talk D----" ~Skuzzy

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
We had a PBY buzzing around Wellington a couple of weeks ago. Seriously, the WW1 planeset would have no difficulty running a cruising PBY down. Most kills would involve a collision because the PBY would have an ENY similar to the ground due to it's relative immobility.
Retired

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 02:07:33 PM »
Reading a little more it looks like the PBY wasn't used very extensively for supply transport, which would make carrier resupply a bit of a stretch, unless someone can show me some information that they were used more for that.

Rescue operations is also a consideration if HTC ever decided to implement that change, that discussion is in multiple threads across these boards.

Also it should be noted that the PBY-5A (which I believe was also the most widely produce variant) had retractable gear allowing for amphibious operation.

Still would like to see it, but realistically I don't expect it.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:11:59 PM »
yeah there goes that idea. can we talk DUKs now  :lol
Lighten up Francis

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
from what i read it doesnt look the PBY does anything interesting. no ords or main gun? what would be the point in having it again?
Not correct bombs depth charges torpedo's it had guns for self defence & that is just the stuff I know it used.