Author Topic: PBY  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: PBY
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
from what i read it doesnt look the PBY does anything interesting. no ords or main gun? what would be the point in having it again?

Who said it didn't carry any ordnance or guns?  You should do a little reading about the PBY before making the claim of no ordnance or guns.

PBY's were used in both the anti-shipping and night time interdiction/harassment raids.  The Blackcats (the units famous for their night time interdiction and anti-shipping missions) routinely carried bombs in wing mounted racks.  In addition, small anti-personal bombs were stowed in the belly of the PBY and would be rolled out by the crew to drop the bombs.  Blackcats would also drop recovered shrapnel and empty beer bottles during their harrasment raids.

Blackcat with bombs on wing mounts

In case you were gonna claim that the Blackcats were special...here is a regular PBY Catalina being fitted with bombs during the Battle of Midway.

No main guns?

Blackcat PBY with 4 forward mounted .50s for strafing.

Blackcat with 20mm cannons

ack-ack
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:54:25 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »
those could carry 2 torpedoes, enough to sink the cv in game.
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2010, 06:38:51 PM »
those could carry 2 torpedoes, enough to sink the cv in game.
:banana: Well done :banana:

Offline PaintSniper

• Zinc Member
      • 91st Bomb Group Website
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2010, 06:50:43 PM »
If you need some more info look at my post: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,285115.0.html
It talks about an Anphibious version of the Catalina.
Game ID: Sniper

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2010, 07:51:35 PM »
PBY's strength was it could fly some 16 hours at 200-ish mph.....not major strength in here. Other than that my Dad flew em in Philippines, I'm not real excited about this umteenth PBY thread
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Animal14

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »
I think jayhawk and the other guy have some good ideas for the pby. I think it would help the gameplay be more dynamic by making cv's last longer. Some of these maps play like groundhog day.  I understand the "gamey" argument about cv resupply and I agree to a point. But tell me what's not gamey about a few guys neutering every bish battlegroup by killing the dd's and ca's while leaving the cv up?  I salute the hours/effort it must have taken to do that;however, I believe that the pby could add something to the game that would benefit all while maintaining as close as possible realism (cvresupplybeing all that I belive would be gamey).

Forgive me I've been up since 0400.
Animal

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 10:43:00 PM »
From what I've been reading tonight, the PBY could carry 4000lbs of ord. Bombs, depth charges and torpedoes. Forward guns as well as waist guns. The Black Cats alone sank over 112,000 tons of shipping.

Yes, I do agree now that the resupply thing is a bit far fetched, but surely HTC can find something for her to do. The PBY is too important not to be included in the plane set.

Lighten up Francis

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 12:51:55 AM »
 Karnak, you certainly know alot about the history on this stuff then I do. And yes PBYs could even be "gimmicky" <cringes>, but isn't that what online gaming is? I'm just a fan of the PBY, one saved my grandpa, I'd like to have it in the game and fly it.  :salute
I mean no disrespect to the great use it gave to us and our Allies in WWII by what I said.  I was referring exclusively to its capabilities within the context of AH.  Eventually I would like to see it, along with every aircraft that served, but right now we are missing core types from many airforces, aircraft that would provide a lot more options for AH scenario makers and in many cases be much more useful in the arenas.  The sad fact is that the PBY would be a slow, underarmed, sitting duck in the context of the AH arenas.

I am glad that one of them pulled your grandfather out of the water, but I honestly think that things like the Pe-2S, G4M2, Ki-43, SM.79-II and Wellington Mk III also have a great many stories in them and would serve a larger purpose in the planeset.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 01:38:43 AM »
You forgot the main drawback. HiTech doesn't want them. I've brought the subject up several times over the years and got the same answer every time... NO.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 04:14:31 AM »
Couple of Cat shots I have.

Looking in at where the tail would be of a Cat being restored.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2010, 06:45:24 AM »
You forgot the main drawback. HiTech doesn't want them. I've brought the subject up several times over the years and got the same answer every time... NO.
I wasn't aware of that. That is a bummer  :(
Lighten up Francis

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2010, 07:35:30 AM »
I've always had a natural affinity with other big bad Cats . . .  ;)
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2010, 04:58:28 PM »
why doesnt he want them?
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2010, 06:29:49 PM »
why doesnt he want them?
My guess is that it'd be a huge hassle and other WW2 planes should be in the plane set first. Maybe HiTech feels the PBY would take the game in a direction he doesn't want to go. Who knows.
Lighten up Francis

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »
why doesnt he want them?
You would have to ask him. I personally think it would be a great addition. A seaplane that could carry troops, bombs, torpedoes, strafe, resupply... what's not to like?

LST's would be nice to have as well. Imagine being able to land tanks at an island base.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.