Author Topic: just wanted to make this official (sort of)  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: just wanted to make this official (sort of)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:30:29 PM »
You could make something like 5 different Ki-43 variants on two models just by using gun package options:

Ki-43-I
  • Ki-43-Ia - 2x7.7mm
  • Ki-43-Ib - 1x7.7mm and 1x12.7mm
  • Ki-43-Ic - 2x12.7mm

Ki-43-III - Uprated engine and drop tank provisions
  • Ki-43-IIIa - 2x12.7mm
  • Ki-43-IIIb - 2x20mm
That would leave out the most important version of the Ki-43 though.  The Ki-43-II was, far and away, the most important version of the fighter.  It was stronger and faster than the Ki-43-I, but not as fast as the Ki-43-III.  The Ki-43-III only shows up at the very end of the war, so only having the -I and -III leaves the Japanese with, once again, an earlier version than they should have for most scenarios.

As to the J2M, American pilots who tested it loved it and thought it the best of all Japanese fighters.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »
well whose to say we cant have all 3 versions? after all, we have 5 versions of the F4U, 5 of the jug, and 3 of the P38, as well as 7 spits.

we can have the I for flying tigers scenarios, the II for mid-war scenarios, and the III for MA
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
You could make something like 5 different Ki-43 variants on two models just by using gun package options:

Ki-43-I
  • Ki-43-Ia - 2x7.7mm
  • Ki-43-Ib - 1x7.7mm and 1x12.7mm
  • Ki-43-Ic - 2x12.7mm

Ki-43-III - Uprated engine and drop tank provisions
  • Ki-43-IIIa - 2x12.7mm
  • Ki-43-IIIb - 2x20mm

20mm armed versions were prototypes only, they didn't see combat.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
I think this plane would be a good new addition to aceshigh. I like the guns seems by its design structure to be maneuverable and fast.

It wasn't all that maneuvarable, it was a pure local defense interceptor designed to intercept high flying bombers.  As such, priority was for speed, climb performance and armament at the expense of maneuverability.  Because the Jack didn't have a supercharger, performance as it got higher degraded though it was far more successful at intercepting B-29s than the Ki-100 was.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 07:22:15 PM »
im gonna throw this in there, the J2M3 (ive been wanting it for a long time now  :pray):

Since January huh?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
Since January huh?

no smart arse, ive been playing since last march, but i just now signed up for the forums

besides, you jolly rogers guys sitting on your high hog need some decent competition  :t

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 10:18:02 PM »
I like this plane too, always have...
But Saburo Sakai said, that flying it, was like driving a truck!  Hmmmmm?
I think he would know, don't you?

RC

Sorta, he also complained about the A6M at first and it's 20mm cannons, favoring the A5M and 7.7mm over them I believe.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
Because the Jack didn't have a supercharger, performance as it got higher degraded

Really?  I've read the J2M3 had a ceiling of over 38,000 feet.  Pretty hard to get up there without an intake compressor, neh?

EDIT:
This page at the NASM lists the earlier Kasei models 21 and 22 (the J2M3 mounted a model 23a) as both having two-speed "blowers" i.e., superchargers:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Japanese/nasm_research_2.htm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:04:32 AM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 01:04:30 AM »
no smart arse, ive been playing since last march, but i just now signed up for the forums

besides, you jolly rogers guys sitting on your high hog need some decent competition  :t

Oh excuse me, you've been waiting a year... You must have given up all hope by now.
You claim to be a P-38 expert in your signature I would expect that would make you decent competetion already.
We got our hands full if we run into P-38 guys like Corkyjr, Ack Ack, and others from SAPP and they don't have P-38 expert in their sigs.
You must be awesome.

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 01:16:56 AM »
Oh excuse me, you've been waiting a year... You must have given up all hope by now.
You claim to be a P-38 expert in your signature I would expect that would make you decent competetion already.
We got our hands full if we run into P-38 guys like Corkyjr, Ack Ack, and others from SAPP and they don't have P-38 expert in their sigs.
You must be awesome.
Wait, wait, wait.....Corkyjr is an expert P-38 breaker not an expert P-38 pilot.  Big difference there.   :P
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
You must be awesome.

what i mean by that is that i know pretty much everything there is to know about the P-38 vs. other aircraft. I am by no means an expert dogfighter  :lol

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 08:06:05 AM »
what i mean by that is that i know pretty much everything there is to know about the P-38 vs. other aircraft. I am by no means an expert dogfighter  :lol

Ah... :aok

All that aside I'd like to see the J2m make it into the game as well. Along with K-43 variants and the Ki-44.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 08:22:11 AM »
Ah... :aok

All that aside I'd like to see the J2m make it into the game as well. Along with K-43 variants and the Ki-44.

yeah i think it would be a great addition as well

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 08:32:36 AM »
Really?  I've read the J2M3 had a ceiling of over 38,000 feet.  Pretty hard to get up there without an intake compressor, neh?

EDIT:
This page at the NASM lists the earlier Kasei models 21 and 22 (the J2M3 mounted a model 23a) as both having two-speed "blowers" i.e., superchargers:

http://www.enginehistory.org/Japanese/nasm_research_2.htm

Yep, I think it's quite safe to say that all WWII operational fighters had somesort of supercharger...starting from the lowly Bristol Bulldog powered with the 645hp Mercury. :)

It's a pretty absurd suggestion that a 1850hp piston aircraft engine wouldn't have one. :)
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!