Author Topic: Learning from The Final Battle, and the next scenario  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Learning from The Final Battle, and the next scenario
« on: April 10, 2010, 09:48:18 PM »
Hello, all.

The Final Battle is concluded.  It had some fun parts and parts that were not very fun, mainly as a result of some groups/squadrons not seeing much action in one or more frames.  The scenario team is making adjustments to fix that.  These techniques will be implemented in the next scenario, planned to run in June or July.

I mention the above so that people know that we did notice and have worked on improvements.  I don't want to go into details here, though.  Instead, I would like to put out the writeup for the next scenario, and then people can see in detail how it rolls out with a concrete example.

We feel confident that it will enhance what we and the vast majority of players like about scenarios.

Thank you, folks, for flying in The Final Battle.

Upward and onward!  :salute

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Learning from The Final Battle, and the next scenario
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:03:33 PM »
The next scenario isn't completely finalized yet.

For scenarios, in terms of theme, we like to generate some variety in theater and plane sets.  Since we just got done with one that has Luftwaffe planes and British planes, a US vs. Japan battle would be good, but not something like Coral Sea, which we also recently ran.  We haven't had a scenario with Ki-84's, N1K2's, and Ki-61's in a long time, so a battle using those planes seemed like a perfect fit.

Also, the Philippines terrain is new, fancy, and gorgeous (thank you, terrain team!).  We wanted to run something on one of the newer such terrains.

So, we aren't done yet, but we are gearing up for a big fight in the southern Philippines between the Japanese and the 5th AF, Marine, and Naval units.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:07:23 PM by Brooke »

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
All I ask is that is is objective based and not point based. This was very fun, a few flaws, but I am glad Frame 4 overcame those flaws (for the most part) and it was fun.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 11:52:50 PM »

For scenarios, in terms of theme, we like to generate some variety in theater and plane sets.  Since we just got done with one that has Luftwaffe planes and British planes, a US vs. Japan battle would be good, but not something like Coral Sea, which we also recently ran.  We haven't had a scenario with Ki-84's, N1K2's, and Ki-61's in a long time, so a battle using those planes seemed like a perfect fit.

Also, the Philippines terrain is new, fancy, and gorgeous (thank you, terrain team!).  We wanted to run something on one of the newer such terrains.

So, we aren't done yet, but we are gearing up for a big fight in the southern Philippines between the Japanese and the 5th AF, Marine, and Naval units.

Do I smell P-38's and B-25C strafer units?!?!??!
 :x :x :x
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:53 AM »
 :x

Ill take a Ki61 pls  :joystick:

The Few GFC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »
Do I smell P-38's and B-25C strafer units?!?!??!
 :x :x :x
Yes, J's and L's.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:10:38 PM »
Yes, J's and L's.

yeah, the 190 was fun and all but its time to put me in the plane i belong in  :airplane:
this will be awesome!!  :x
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:54:12 PM »
This next scenario idea, sounds very promising....

however, I am concerned about the extreme amount of discos that have happened in each and every frame of the Final Battle, especially in and around any action close to the CV/task groups......

I think this needs to be looked into, and some testing run/data gathered and sent to HTC........

just a suggestion....

:salute   :cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »
This next scenario idea, sounds very promising....

however, I am concerned about the extreme amount of discos that have happened in each and every frame of the Final Battle, especially in and around any action close to the CV/task groups......

I think this needs to be looked into, and some testing run/data gathered and sent to HTC........

just a suggestion....

:salute   :cheers:
People were suggesting it's the 234, but I've never WSOD'd in the MA...I'm thinking it was a bugged terrain. the next scenario's terrain would be brand new.

The WSOD's really gave a blow to the axis, mainly because we had to end up flying 3+ sectors only to get discoed right before a drop.

FlyKommando.com

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 08:43:43 PM »
Did the Ar234s also disco/crash as they approached the CV??  I know my FE crashed to a black screen both times Ar234s came in over the TF (I was in a 5" gun).

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 09:02:23 PM »
Did the Ar234s also disco/crash as they approached the CV??  I know my FE crashed to a black screen both times Ar234s came in over the TF (I was in a 5" gun).
Many instances. Once we WSOD'd about 2 muinutes after, on egress. Another, it was 5 seconds after. Another, it was some WSODing on drop, another, about 25 mi from CV (or so we thought, could have been closer).

FlyKommando.com

Offline 4440

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ahxarl.com
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 09:23:12 PM »
BTW, in the beta, even I CTD'd in the 234, and I was only riding shotgun in it.

It was somewhat random as well as to who the monster chose to send out in the time warp.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 09:37:01 PM »

For scenarios, in terms of theme, we like to generate some variety in theater and plane sets.  Since we just got done with one that has Luftwaffe planes and British planes, a US vs. Japan battle would be good, but not something like Coral Sea, which we also recently ran.  We haven't had a scenario with Ki-84's, N1K2's, and Ki-61's in a long time, so a battle using those planes seemed like a perfect fit.

Also, the Philippines terrain is new, fancy, and gorgeous (thank you, terrain team!).  We wanted to run something on one of the newer such terrains.

Pac, damn if there Hogs or Hellcats I'll be in on that one also.

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
Pac, damn if there Hogs or Hellcats I'll be in on that one also.

hogs are for little men, 38's are a real mans ride!
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline HB555

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 10:14:52 PM »
hogs are for little men, 38's are a real mans ride!

But it takes a truly real man to muscle a bomber through the unfriendly skies.  :D
Snoopy Bell

HB555 A gentleman, with a school boys heart, and crazy enough to think he is a cartoon dog.