I wish I was a bit more timid at times.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Timid
« Reply #226 on: April 15, 2010, 07:22:09 PM »
Using the formula: (W + I) * C where W = the constant of wood, which is well known to be 61, as agreed in many scientific circles. I = the variable in this equation, and stands for the word "if" from the original problem. As there are three circumstances, with 0 equaling the chance that the woodchuck cannot chuck wood, 1 being the theory that the woodchuck can chuck wood but chooses not to, and 2 standing for the probability that the woodchuck can and will chuck wood, we clearly must choose 2 for use in this equation. C = the constant of Chuck Norris, whose presence in any problem involving the word chuck must there, is well known to equal 1.1 of any known being, therefore the final part of this calculation is 1.1. As is clear, this appears to give the answer of (61 + 2) * 1.1 = (63) * 1.1 = 69.3. However, Chuck Norris' awesome roundhouse kick declares that all decimal points cannot be used in formulas such as this, and so it must be rounded to the final solution of 69 units of wood.

ack-ack

:rofl

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #227 on: April 15, 2010, 07:45:11 PM »
This thread sounds exactly like blogs where catholics, jews, muslims and atheists

Wait, I think I heard that one before!

They walk into a bar, right?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: April 15, 2010, 07:58:01 PM »
Upon further review, I come across too serious here.  This is great fun, I'm grinning like the Grinch when "a plan comes together".  After you shoot me down, most likely because I was stupid, I'm still grinning as I gaze at the pieces of my joystick now littering the garage floor as a result of me calmly unplugging said joystick, walking into the garage and using the cord to force the joystick to exceed the speed of sound as it howls through the air with the impetus of a russian satellite hurtling to its untimely demise.

I think you should care if you are killed otherwise what is the point of trying to win.

Show me a good loser, and I will show you a ....... loser.

Love this game gentelmen, and I enjoy all of it.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #229 on: April 15, 2010, 07:59:39 PM »
BTW Krusty, love your skins, fly them alot, thank you sir.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #230 on: April 15, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »
Upon further review, I come across too serious here.  This is great fun, I'm grinning like the Grinch when "a plan comes together".  After you shoot me down, most likely because I was stupid, I'm still grinning as I gaze at the pieces of my joystick now littering the garage floor as a result of me calmly unplugging said joystick, walking into the garage and using the cord to force the joystick to exceed the speed of sound as it howls through the air with the impetus of a russian satellite hurtling to its untimely demise.

I think you should care if you are killed otherwise what is the point of trying to win.

Love this game gentelmen, and I enjoy all of it.
:rofl :rofl    guess im not the only one that smashes his hardware from time to time
-AoM-

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #231 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:41 PM »

Seriously, it all depends on what all was involved with the way you win or the way you lose....

if I was to win a 1 vs 1 fight, well I won, was it a easy fight lasted less than a minute.....where is the  reward in that?  was it a win where I was with 2 or 3 others rabidly chasing down a lone player and everyone shooting at him from every direction, yet I am awarded the kill? where is the reward in that?  did I fly in on another countrymens fight and pick his opponent? the one he was just about to finish off? where is the reward in that?

did I lose flying a long 5+ minute battle with 1 opponent (with 2 or 3 opponents), now I can find reward in that... it was a good fight, it was intense....it was rewarding

did I lose while defending against 2  or more others, possibly taking at least one of them out if not more before I eventually died?  again... it was intense....it was rewarding

as many before me and all during my time playing these sims... it really is and has been all about the fight and what the fight entelled...regardless if you win or lose.... and whether you was able to learn something from the fight to carry you forward

YMMV
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #232 on: April 15, 2010, 08:27:25 PM »
I wish I was a bit more timid at times.

I wish you were too!  I was on your 6 a couple of nights ago for a good three minutes while you twisted and turned with 2 other guys near our base, quite low. I was gonna lay off but I thought "Dammit, I'm gonna at least ping this guy, I WILL get a gun solution." Eventually someone picked you.   I don't remember if I ever did get a ping on you, lol.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 08:52:39 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2010, 08:56:36 PM »
The  fights I remember, the ones that really stand out over 10 years, tend to have one thing in common.

Either I was outnumbered, or they had a major advantage.
What makes them stand out is giving it all you've got and turning the situation around. Using tactics, ACM, and skill to turn the tables. 

Now timid would have been there in the first place.
And most likely wouldn't have stayed around to fight in the second.

Thats ok, we each pay our 15$ a month and we fly it our way. That is as it should be.
And some days the "force"is with us, and we pull  off things  we  really didn't expect to survive.

Other days we go down in flames, but we go down swinging.

I tangled with 4 ponys once, might have shot one down, I know they were all over me.
I pulled every trick out of the hat and invented a couple of new ones.
In the end I pulled off a ditch once I was shot to pieces. Exited out laughing and happy as could be.
Some times you just have to buck the odds, to truly measure yourself.

I think all to often to many of us fall into the trap of thinking that winning is everything.
Sometimes losing with style can be more rewarding, and more entertaining, certainly creates more memory's that last.

Take a chance, get out of the herd and stand on your own. Give it your best, win, lose or draw.
The planes are for the most part free, its only our ego's that get damaged.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »

so here I go taking off from A63, with 2 others there with me, and here come 4 P38s all at around 10K alt...... they was not vulching , they was not diving in picking any of us off with no alt.no speed... they just kept slightly NE of A63 and at or around 10K to 12K alt....  one would come out by himself and give up some alt. just enough to entice 1 of us to go after him..... and once the bait was taken, here come 1 or 2 of the other P38s and sure enough BOOM any of the 3 of us that tried to get into a dogfight was right back in the tower......

now I heard the words "Pickers", "Gangers", etc mentioned........ and I kindly said "Ya know, they are flying smart, we are being the dumb ones for letting them take advantage of the situation, those 4 P38s were flying perfect Wingman Tactics, and I admired them for it..... they did not waiver one bit

And if this was the only fight going I'd log for the night. Wheres the fun of engaging 1 only to have his "wingman" come in and pick you? Wingman tactics in a GAME is about as timid as you can get. I can see if you set-up a 2 vs 2 fight, or even a 4 vs 4 fight, but these guy couldn't go there, no advantage and that old timid backbone locks up and away they go to RTB and land their hard earned picks  :rolleyes:

Timid is when you run from a fight, or when your in a fight and you start thinking it's time to run away. Its a game of combat, fight it out!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2010, 09:10:24 PM »
Wingman tactics in a GAME is about as timid as you can get.

I don't understand this... perhaps you could elaborate why this is timid?

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2010, 09:13:28 PM »
If that's the case, everyone in a squad is timid then.
Lighten up Francis

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2010, 09:37:33 PM »
If that's the case, everyone in a squad is timid then.

Yep, squads are just customizable hordes, everyone knows that.  :neener:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
I'd rather fly with a wingy or two in the MA, it's more fun that way.  I'll take my 1v1s in the dueling arena and my seal bludgeoning in the ma.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2010, 09:46:05 PM »
Sometimes the fun of winging up isn't for the effectiveness (I've been rather lousy at it most times) but for the comraderie.

I mean once I was flying FSO with USMC/71Sqn, we were doing Coral Sea or something, had B5Ns but with mixed roles. 6 or so of us would take torps, the rest bombs. We kept visual ID of this by having the different skins. So all this is happening on vox and somebody's clarifying to somebody else "you take the dark skin" .... to which I replied, laiden with as much innuendo as I could "They say you never go back..." and after a slight pause everybody burst out laughing.

I mean some guys were in stitches for 3-5 minutes.

I wasn't much help tactically, or with regards to mission success, but I feel I played my part that frame with one well-timed quip!

It's one of the best things about winging up.  :aok