Author Topic: Timid  (Read 7035 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Timid
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »
Ok... I was just reading a wishlist thread about the name in lights in game and was reading about timidness. Time to see what people consider "timid" and what isn't. Like if you're in a 262 could a person NOT be "timid"? or if you're in a zero could you actually fly away from a fight and be able to be timid? Opinions and light discussions only please :lol ... im tired of these stupid thread locking name maimer arguments back and forth.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: Timid
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:44:16 AM »
you might be considered timid if:

you don't fight until someone dies, but rather try to RTB!

you extend more then 3k

you extend and wont turn around until your chaser turns around and heads the other way(this sometimes lasting a full sector)

you BNZ from a 2k perch or higher

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »
i like the fight i had yesterday. i spotted an noe crossing the water and was trailing looking for goons in a spit9. A spit16 and ponyd broke off to engage me. I finally got the 16 but the ponyd would run every time it got reversed it til about 1.5-2k out then turn back for a ho. Just didn't really understand the concept. Like if you're afraid to get shot down why turn back to go ho?  :huh .. After about 5mins of trying to turn this into an alt advantage for me the pony proved much more superior than the spit9 as it should and neutralized any advantage i gained from avoiding his ho and run tactics. Eventually, i gave in and just ho'd him. We both died. *Shrug*
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:33 AM »
I am.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 06:58:38 AM »
A P-51 picking 10-15k targets from a 25k perch, who runs away home the instant a con appears at co-alt.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:59:49 AM »
To those I will add:

You only engage if there are more friendly's than enemy's (flying in a horde)
You only engage if you have an advantage, speed, alt, position, firepower.

you might be considered timid if:

you don't fight until someone dies, but rather try to RTB!

you extend more then 3k

you extend and wont turn around until your chaser turns around and heads the other way(this sometimes lasting a full sector)

you BNZ from a 2k perch or higher

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:02 AM »
True. But timidness=kills usually? therefore would it not be better to be timid in fights and land with a certain number of kills or to be agressive and get many kills in as little time as possible? -Btw this is purely for discussion only, i already know where i stand on the subject :aok love flying a 262 rolling scissors with 2 enemy at low alt in those roadrunners. even better if i replace the 262 with a a6m2 :D
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 07:34:33 AM »
True. But timidness=kills usually? therefore would it not be better to be timid in fights and land with a certain number of kills or to be agressive and get many kills in as little time as possible?

If your goal is to amass as many kills as possible, timid flying will help you do that.  No question about it.

- oldman

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:48:51 AM »
It never fails to amuse me how when the word "timid" pops up, the first thing out of everyones mouth is P51 :rolleyes:

9 times out of 10 these are the same guys that fly spits, F4Us, hurricanes etc. I have film, after film, after film of running 109s,190s,262s,Tempests,LA7s and Typhoons doing the same thing!

For the guys that don't fly P51s, let me clue you in on something. The P51 is not that great of a plane! It's takes alot of seat time to be able to beat a enemy aircraft at its own game. So the mustang pilot better know a thing or two before he tries to beat a 109 or 38 in the vertical, or a spitfire and hurricane in a turn fight. And the F4Us :lol....easy mode compared to P51s.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:51:28 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 07:49:50 AM »
It is quite rare in a 1 on 1 for me to run from a fight. 
(it has happened of course, typically when I am low ammo/fuel or damaged)

What many players loose sight of is they are not running from you, but the 1-5 country mates you have near by.

I generally have no fear of a single con no matter the advantage it has on me I figure I will win the fight.
(in my head anyway)

But that 2nd, 3rd, 4th (etc) con will keep me from turning and fighting.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:55:06 AM »
I would say you're timid if you let other people tell you how you should fly.  :old:

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:51 AM »
I would say you're timid if you let other people tell you how you should fly.  :old:
Exactly. Here's an example: I'm in a P51 cherry picking a LA7, and 2 spits over their field. Along comes a F4UA co-alt. What do I do? I fight the F4U, but it takes some time to get the angles on him for the kill, by this time the 3 cons on the deck have climbed to me and now it's 3vs1 against a enemy that can out turn me and 1 that can out run me.

Or I could see the co alt F4U and dive to the deck into 3 waiting cons that will stay in their ack while the F4U BnZs me. I found If you want to survive it's best not to be stupid and fly the game of the enemy.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 08:09:55 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »
I would say you're timid if you let other people tell you how you should fly.  :old:

Wow you made some new Sig material, FLS   :aok  :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 08:03:25 AM »
Wow you made some new Sig material, FLS   :aok  :D
thats being quoted for my sig
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 08:18:05 AM »
To those I will add:

You only engage if there are more friendly's than enemy's (flying in a horde)
You only engage if you have an advantage, speed, alt, position, firepower.

So basically you're saying a good untimid pilot only engages when outnumbered and has no advantage at all. Maybe you could post some training films on how to come out of that alive?
Lighten up Francis