Author Topic: Polish President killed in plane crash  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Re: Polish President killed in plane crash
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2010, 01:30:42 AM »
My thoughts and prayers go to those in the plane crash, and to the morning polish.

Why were so many top government officials traveling in the same plane?
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2010, 12:18:02 PM »
Its always a bit creepy when ya hear this kind of thing in the former warsaw pact countries...
Old habits die hard in that area of the world, and old agencies still have a long reach..
Its like you can never completely write out the suspicion, just creepy!

Maybe that is a little :noid  But really, it wouldn't be the first time!

:salute RC

"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
My thoughts and prayers go to those in the plane crash, and to the morning polish.

Why were so many top government officials traveling in the same plane?

They where invited by president Kaczynski to accompany him.
All of those people, including top military have their second in command already replacing them. Rules about noon traveling together where not broken.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2010, 01:10:13 PM »
There was a thick fog at Smolensk airport and the pilots had been told to try another airport in Minsk, but they still tried to land several times to Smolensk. The fourth attempt became fatal. It was kind of unusual behavior, since it is said that usually after two unsuccessful attempts the pilots head to alternative airfields.

I think that the pilot might have come under pressure from the staff to land or they would have missed the ceremony. I would think ILS would work,some say that it didn't have it which i find very,very hard to believe givin that its a presidential aircraft.Investigation will tell.
Was the weather fog all the way to the ground (no ceiling?)  What was the visibility?  What type of approach was available at the airport?  How much fuel reserve?  Time of day and forecast?  Distance to alternate?

I am assuming that the presidential aircraft had adequate avionics.  That is only half of the equation.  What was the airfield like?

In theory, the pilot in command could (and obviously should) have overridden the President on decisions regarding flight safety.  He may have been relieved upon landing, but all would still be alive.  With the information available, it seems to be a case of forcing a landing below minimum visibility.

I have flown an aircraft down to minimums four times in 7 years (2000 flight hours.)  Twice we landed.  Twice we diverted.  I never tried a second approach on the two diverts.  We did a few turns in holding one time to talk it over, but we ended up diverting.  All were memorable.

Regardless of the details, condolences to the surviving families and the people of Poland.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »
"I think that the pilot might have come under pressure from the staff to land or they would have missed the ceremony."

BBC News announced today that this was almost certainly the case. It certainly wouldn't have been any conspiracy on Russia's part, could you imagine anything more stupid than to interfere with an aircraft carrying Polish officials invited by the Russian government to commemorate the murdered Polish officers buried at Katyn?

Once more, Poland suffers.

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »
Was the weather fog all the way to the ground (no ceiling?)  What was the visibility?  What type of approach was available at the airport?  How much fuel reserve?  Time of day and forecast?  Distance to alternate?

I am assuming that the presidential aircraft had adequate avionics.  That is only half of the equation.  What was the airfield like?

In theory, the pilot in command could (and obviously should) have overridden the President on decisions regarding flight safety.  He may have been relieved upon landing, but all would still be alive.  With the information available, it seems to be a case of forcing a landing below minimum visibility.

I have flown an aircraft down to minimums four times in 7 years (2000 flight hours.)  Twice we landed.  Twice we diverted.  I never tried a second approach on the two diverts.  We did a few turns in holding one time to talk it over, but we ended up diverting.  All were memorable.

Regardless of the details, condolences to the surviving families and the people of Poland.

I guess they should of had you in the left seat for that flight.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »
Ouch, that wasn't too kind.  Who flings insults at memorial?

-Penguin

Why don't you make a respectful comment to the dead instead of being a silly kindergartner flinging poo on the playground for once?
Thanks.

Condolences to their families and to the Polish.  :frown:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 11:52:14 PM »
Just flat out tragic. :pray :angel:

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 08:15:02 AM »
I guess they should of had you in the left seat for that flight.

No disrepect intended to the deceased, their families or the Polish people.

I was just looking at the technical questions of this accident.  Weather and decision making appear to be contributing factors. 

[Edit: I am retracting my knee jerk reaction out of respect for the passing of so many people.]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:24:09 AM by RufusLeaking »
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline skopro

• Zinc Member
      • 308th Polish squadron
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 01:18:00 PM »
ppl on the ground waiting for the plane to land said they heard 2 explosions.Some others reported seeing the left wing dip in a wingover right before it hit some trees.There could have been engine failure on final, but we wont know anything until the report is released. I keep hearing that no ILS system was available at that field which givin it size  is unacceptable.

Offline Curlew

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 01:20:40 PM »
 :salute
It is I, Ens. Pulver! And I have just thrown your palm tree overboard!
Quote from: Helm
The best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Callsign---Curlew

Offline saantana

• Nickel Member
      • Dywizjon 308
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:05 PM »
A lot of good people died. Pointlessly. All individual stories. Just one I read today of a woman working as the presidential bodyguard. Her remains had to be identified by her husband by the bracelet she wore with his name imprinted on it.

Lets remember this is first and foremost a tragedy of relatives and loved ones who are left to pick up the pieces. The nation will recover quickly.

:salute
Saantana
308 Polish Squadron RAF
http://dywizjon308.servegame.org

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept my faith"

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 11:57:21 PM »
Condolences to the people who lost their loved ones  :pray  :salute
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2010, 08:01:09 AM »
Lets remember this is first and foremost a tragedy of relatives and loved ones who are left to pick up the pieces. The nation will recover quickly.

They always do. :salute
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron