Author Topic: Tanking wasn't as easy as I first thought it was going to be :)  (Read 2384 times)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tanking wasn't as easy as I first thought it was going to be :)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
i prefer using the sherman as an AA platform, great elevation on that gun :D

unlucky b25

:devil
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:00:28 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 11:47:03 PM »
As others have mentioned: learn where to hit tanks and how to estimate range so as to maximize the chance your first shot will both hit and kill.  Someone posted once showing spots to hit for each type of tank.  Here are some I have found:

M4: at 90deg (i.e. from the side) hit the side of the turret (if it's not facing you) or the side of the hull, not the tracks.  From the front, hit the lower edge of the front sloped armor (glacis) where it curves vertical.  Don't waste time hitting the mantlet (the front of the turret) or the sloped glacis.

Panzer: at 90 degrees hit the turret or the side (i.e. pretty much anywhere).  From the front try to hit the turret first to knock it out.

T34: at 90 degrees try to hit the turret or the tracks. From the front try to hit the very bottom of the glacis where it curves vertical (in a real T34 this is a very thick casting, but in AH I suspect it is modeled something like the same thickness as the glacis but at a 90deg angle).

Tiger: don't fire until it's very very close (which means you have to be well hidden or he has to be rather inattentive).  Wait till he passes and hit from the side (side of turret is best, or the side of the hull (which is thin and hard to hit).

Range:  I only know the T34 sight; if you are looking at a Panzer at 90deg (i.e. from the side) if the length of the tank is equal to a horizontal hash mark on the sight, the tank is 1200 yds away.  If it is 1/2 a hash mark, it's 2400 yds, and inversely linearly from there.  If the Panzer is head on and its width is equal to a hash mark, it's 600 yds away; 1/2 a hash mark = 1200 yds, etc.  It is similar for other tanks as well.

I hope these suggestions help a bit.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 12:12:13 AM »
Stick with one marque of tank and one version of flakpanzer. Practice, practice, practice, until you can guess the range needed to hit an M4 from how big it appears on the scope at maximum zoom. You should get to the point where you either hit with the first shot or the second shot is bang on. Then practice, practice, practice, until you can place a round between mantlet and turret at whatever range your target is at. Then repeat aiming at the front left track, etc etc, etc.

Use the pintle gun (if your tank has one) to spot bad guy tanks. Drive the tank from the pintle gun using the rudders to steer. That way when you spot a bad guy you can get 95% of your gunlaying done by swivelling the whole tank, thereby presenting frontal armour. Shoot from a stationary position until you get comfortable with ballistics and movement combined.
Retired

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 01:19:28 AM »
Practice makes perfect.  While tactics do come into play being a good shot is the most important by far.  Oh, and ground vis mode helps too.

What key do I press for ground vis mode? I usually try to get on a hill close to a hedge and wait. Kinda like deer hunting.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 01:20:30 AM »
What key do I press for ground vis mode? I usually try to get on a hill close to a hedge and wait. Kinda like deer hunting.
Shift + F4
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 01:32:10 AM »
i prefer using the sherman as an AA platform, great elevation on that gun :D

unlucky b25
(Image removed from quote.)

:devil
Bat,

I don't remember who it was now but a couple of tours ago someone shot me down 3 times in a row with a sherman.   :lol
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 06:36:57 AM »
Stick with one marque of tank and one version of flakpanzer. Practice, practice, practice, until you can guess the range needed to hit an M4 from how big it appears on the scope at maximum zoom. You should get to the point where you either hit with the first shot or the second shot is bang on.

:aok you're gonna get whacked until you can range by instinct

btw there seems to be something screwy with the M4 sight - switching between the sherman and any other tank really messes up my ranging :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 09:58:31 AM »
A little film to help keep you interested!
 some of you have seen it before!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxA1cslh2g

Kewl film there.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »
TY

been thinking about making a new one!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,269006.0.html   tank killspots

For starters when you are zoomed in on a target and have your sites where you think the bullet will hit the bad guy, put your cursor on that distance line as a reference.  This will give you a basis for aiming up or down and save time.

2nd depending on what type of tank you are shooting at there are "kill zones" To kill a Tiger-shoot for the turret where it meets the body in a frontal attack, and in the same spot at bottom of turret for a side attack.  For the t34-85 as well as the t34-76-in a frontal attack aim for the bottom of the frontal armor, I like to call it a chin shot, and in attack on the side of t34's try to aim from the center of the tracks to 3/4 up the tracks.  When fighting a m4-firefly-an m4 may seem very intimidating which they are with that big gun, but go for that same kind of "chin shot" i mentioned earlier bottom of front armor and you will get a 1shot kill.  When fighting a Panzer, almost anyplace on a panzer when hit will result in a kill, but you may get a ricochet off of some points in the armor, I aim for the turret.

3rd Whenever possible try to shoot on level ground, shooting crooked may result in missing an easy shot that would have otherwise saved your life.

4th Whenever possible find some sort of dirt mound to park behind, the less of your tank you expose the harder it will be for them to hit you, and also if you park diagonal behind a hill in for example a sherman, most rounds that do hit you will ricochet off of your turret.

5th If your find yourself severely outnumbered supplies can be a lifesaver, a t34-85 parked behind a hill with only the turret exposed is impossible to die in.  The turret on a t34-85 is indestructible, and you will have 8 extra chances at surviving with supplies around.

6th If you find yourself wanting to spawn into a field and discover somebody has it camped, spawn in a perkless ride like a panzer and dont try to shoot first sortie, get into your pintle gun and scan for enemies before starting your engine.  Wait for the camper to fire a round and kill you, "important" make a mental note of where the round came from, now it is your turn.  You spawn in a t34-85 "which has the faster turret in the game" and spin that turret around to where they were sitting, now when they appear blast them and wait for the "you cheated accusations" lol.

7th  If you wish to take out the beast the Tiger, which it is when used properly.  Ask someone if they would mind setting out supplys for you before upping, if no one will run some out yourself before upping the Tiger.  It is important to put the supplys in a spot at least 2,500 yards from the tanks you will be shooting.  I recommend a hilltop, but never park with your Tiger facing downhill, as its turret is very weak, and this exposes you to shots on top of your turret.  At a range of over 2,500 yards, only truly skilled tank drivers will be able to kill you with supplies around.  So have fun putting a Tiger to good use, which isnt often done in Aces High.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
thanks for all the tips guys I've learned a lot from you, especially about ranging I had no idea  :salute
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2010, 06:42:23 PM »
heres a key for ya

Go to sound options. turn down your engine and tread. your able to hear the enemy tanks. if your rolling and start hearing one, he is 800 yards away. If your rolling and kill engine, hear one then still hear him after your engine is back on, he is 1.3 K away. Test it and see. theres ya a gamey GV tip

One of the gameyest of the gamey tactics in the entire game.
This is one of the primary reasons you dont see me in a GV much anymore. Alot of people running around with THEIR engine sounds turned way down and the external sounds way up.  Yes I know I can do it too. but it should never be that way to begin with. Never under any circumstance should you be able to hear an engine running outside of your vehicle better then you can hear your own without first shutting down your own engine.

I say tie the internal and external sounds together so you cant turn them up or down without doing the same for the other.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2010, 09:45:59 PM »
One of the gameyest of the gamey tactics in the entire game.
This is one of the primary reasons you dont see me in a GV much anymore. Alot of people running around with THEIR engine sounds turned way down and the external sounds way up.  Yes I know I can do it too. but it should never be that way to begin with. Never under any circumstance should you be able to hear an engine running outside of your vehicle better then you can hear your own without first shutting down your own engine.

I say tie the internal and external sounds together so you cant turn them up or down without doing the same for the other.

you can do the same thing in planes as well, reguardless if it makes it alittle unrealistic to actually hear people on the vox and also to not blow your ear drum out I'm glad it is the way it is.  If it was different and I couldn't hear people talking on the vox I would quit the game.  I enjoy the conversations way more then I do playing the game.  Just my opinion and I respect yours and know where your coming from.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
Yes, I get my kicks shooting IL2's and B25's (cough) and p47's  out of the air with a sherman. :t

Don't HO a sherman :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 01:35:29 AM »
well, everything I have seen so far in the gv'ing part of this is complete nonsense. No one will tell you how to shoot through the trees and no one will tell you how to shoot something you can't see. Some one said this is gamey but no one wants to tell how it's done. I asked this to a trainer and that's the best answer I got. I sat and watched a tank i tried to shoot and my round exploded on the tree his went right through it. Another guy told me you had to sit and be quiet. well, you can't sit and be quiet because as soon as you spawn you get shot. one shot boom I'm done. aggravating day gv'ing

Edited for content
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:08:24 AM by wgmount »
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken