Author Topic: Fighter Ace 3 is going out of business!?!  (Read 13377 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: Fighter Ace 3 is going out of business!?!
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2010, 06:36:27 AM »
I 2nd that.  Having someone able to talk you through the controller setup is a must to get things done as painlessly as possible.

If your really nice I might be able to share some of my Jedi tricks.   :noid

I think that is the biggest issue.  When I left AW I went to WW2OL and simply learning the controls was the biggest challenge.  Flew it for a while a few months back and once I had worked out the controls it was actually ok.  I have given AH a couple of quick tries and it is ok.  Setup is so important as we need to feel comfortable with the controls in order to make good decisions.  I will miss the padlock and full screen view but I did ok without it in AW and will manage to do it again.  I do like the TrackIR support though and the more realistic FM  :)

Do not know where I will end up, I do know that it will be weekends only so the learning process is going to be pretty long and slow.  It happens  :)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »
funny guy fess   :)

Did not think I would let you down m8.

Seems you may get me in here on a more regular basis after all lol

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »
I am going to make some general statements here.

First, anyone from "Fighter Ace" is welcome here.  I know little about that game, but it cannot feel good your choice product/service/game is shutting down.  That, in of itself, can be very frustrating for those who made it a home to feed their zest for flying and fighting in the WWII genre.

Switching to any other sim/game is going to be a challenge.  The initial desire to compare the differences between the old and new is unavoidable.  For some, finding the flaw in the new is a right of passage to start feeling comfortable with the new.  Losing that feeling like you are cheating on an old friend can be difficult.  We would like to do whatever we can to help ease that transition.

Hopefully we can save some time and get that comfort level up as quick as possible.  Aces High is not perfect.  It has flaws.  We work everyday on solving them.  In the process, we might even add some more flaws, which we will work on again.  While it is never our intent to add flaws to the game, it does happen.

One area we pride ourselves is our flight models.  We have a pretty good library of data available on every plane in the game.  However, like anything in a book, it can be subject to interpretation, depending on the nature of the data.  We know that.  We welcome anyone to join in the "Aircraft and Vehicles" forum who has solid data on a model which could help improve our modeling.  We do not accept the "History Channel", "Discovery Channel", "Wikipedia" nor "a pilots observations" as qualified references for flight modeling.  If you go into that forum and state, "The flight model is wrong", you will not get very far.  If you are not willing to post sources for your data, it will not change a thing.  We have to have sources for the data so it can be verified.

Ok, next.  I see some tension between the forums occurring in this thread and I would ask everyone to please drop it.  What happens at other forums should stay there.  It is too easy to take things out of context when all parties are not involved.  It also serves to provide a disruptive start for those who are having to find a new home for their hobby.  Just place yourself in their position.  There is always a certain amount of pride involved in our choices.  If someone makes a derogatory remark about your choice, you will defend it.  It is human nature.  So let's not go down that path.  It serves no purpose other than to plant a seed of angst/frustration/anger.

Everyone here has a basic foundation to build from.  A love of the WW2 flight genre.  It is a good place to start forging new relationships and welcoming those who are losing a dear friend.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:07:26 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2010, 07:11:59 AM »

Do not know where I will end up, I do know that it will be weekends only so the learning process is going to be pretty long and slow.  It happens  :)

If you and any other FA players that come over need help, just ask.  There are some great people here that are very willing to help out.  The training arena is a great place to start.  You will find that the learning curve can be pretty steep here.  I can imagine that the transition from FA to AH may be overwhelming for many.  Don't hesitate to ask questions here.

I hope that you and other FA players can think of AH as a new home.  Either way, Good luck. :salute

I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline jollyFE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2010, 07:21:41 AM »
Yet another reason why I want to have Skuzzy's babies.
Every time a Nit vulches,  an angel get it's wings.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2010, 07:34:55 AM »
The Ace High Trainer Corp is ready to help.

If nothing else works any FA pilot can contact me at
ghosth@netaces.org

Or PM me here.

We will endeavor to make your transition as painless as possible.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2010, 08:02:38 AM »
The "TA" (training arena) is the place to start for sure, beyond that many others are willing to help. I'd milk bruv (and all others) for all you can as well. If your flying knights 71SQD was actually started by a few (3 I think) guys who came over from FA years ago. We use vox 171 (the far right channel with the "V" on radio text buffer). We've got an open channel policy on squad vox and any FA guys are more then welcome to fly along with us while you get settled in....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2010, 08:08:04 AM »
The "TA" (training arena) is the place to start for sure, beyond that many others are willing to help. I'd milk bruv (and all others) for all you can as well. If your flying knights 71SQD was actually started by a few (3 I think) guys who came over from FA years ago. We use vox 171 (the far right channel with the "V" on radio text buffer). We've got an open channel policy on squad vox and any FA guys are more then welcome to fly along with us while you get settled in....

I'm not to sure about being milked but yea the general sentiments are there  :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
Hi all!  Former FAer here.  While I was bummed about FA going under I must say that after flying a bit in the offline mode and checking out the website/forums i'm pretty stoked about AH! 

I'm the Training Officer for an FA Squad called The Wrecking Crew (actually a gaming clan as we have presence in several different games), and we're trying to figure out where we want to call home.  A few of us have flown AH before and really like the challenge of a more realistic FM.   

Im in the process of setting up my stick, and plan on being in game tomorrow evening.   Looking forward to getting shot down by many of you over the next ???? days/week/years that it takes to learn the new game.

Let the hazing begin! 
TWC_Jaxx   :cool:
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2010, 08:42:34 AM »
Hi all!  Former FAer here.  While I was bummed about FA going under I must say that after flying a bit in the offline mode and checking out the website/forums i'm pretty stoked about AH! 

I'm the Training Officer for an FA Squad called The Wrecking Crew (actually a gaming clan as we have presence in several different games), and we're trying to figure out where we want to call home.  A few of us have flown AH before and really like the challenge of a more realistic FM.   

Im in the process of setting up my stick, and plan on being in game tomorrow evening.   Looking forward to getting shot down by many of you over the next ???? days/week/years that it takes to learn the new game.

Let the hazing begin! 
TWC_Jaxx   :cool:
<S> sir. cant wait for more action with FA flyers :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:07 AM »
Welcome Jaxx, if you (or any other former FA players) see me online, more than willing to provide a target so you can try out things in Ah.

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:30 AM »

If you have time, I am more than willing to work with you or your squadron as they come over to Aces High.

Drop me a message on these forums or e-mail me if you're interested in making the steep climb to comfort within AH a little easier.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TWC_Jaxx

• Zinc Member
      • The Wrecking Crew
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »
If you have time, I am more than willing to work with you or your squadron as they come over to Aces High.

Drop me a message on these forums or e-mail me if you're interested in making the steep climb to comfort within AH a little easier.

Thanks, Sir!  I will take you up on that offer. I'm already digging all the AC data you guys make availalble.  I spent hours and hours flight testing AC in FA to build a solid data set and was not looking forward to doing it all over in AH. 

Are there posts that show recomended stick configs? We have a lot using X52s and 3d pros.   :salute
TWC_Jaxx
Training Officer
The Wrecking Crew- www.twcclan.com

Never leave your wingman... trust in him always.... never die alone.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 10:05:58 AM »
All of the trainers here are glad to help anyone with the transition. People get used to the atmosphere and feel of a game, so I'm sure it's disappointing to have to start over. We can try to make it easier. I trust you'll grow to appreciate Aces High.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/newscores/planeperf.php

From the homepage,  community  > scores & stats >  plane performance charts.

If you click on search here on the forums and type in X52 profiles that should get some results....

Personally I prefer setting up each button manually so you can work out what button does what.   If anyone flies with CH stick / pedals / rudders I can send them my profile.

To make things easier you could spend some time in the keyboard mapper and change all of the default keys to do the same things as they did in FA.  Like Ctrl + W for WEP or  B for brakes,  G for gears,  D/ F for flaps etc.
The Few ***
F.P.H