Author Topic: Tank Flipping..........Eliminate  (Read 9564 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Tank Flipping..........Eliminate
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »
I remember the old days when you flipped your tank all you needed to do was hop in the main gun, point it at the ground and fire to flip yourself right side up.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »
Yes but Fugitive, people play this game to become immersed in a WWII combat environment. By your line of reasoning, we could all be flying our planes underwater in the game, and they could all look like eels, because they are just pixels on a screen, who cares!

Your point about the lack of craters tradeoff is semi-accurate, however craters and shrubs differ in functionality. Shrubs and foliage are essential to remaining hidden (and thus succeeding) in a tank. There is definitive reason to get close to them. When getting close to them results in an atrociously unrealistic forced end of sortie, there's a problem there. It's certainly nothing like "learning to fly above the tree level". In a plane, there's little reason to get that low. In a tank, it is CRITICAL to be in and around these obstacles that are so...well, strangely deadly for some strange reason.

It's a problem that must be fixed, not simply adapted to.

I understand "immersion", but as its a game played on a 2d monitor with no "physical" sensations to use as input, certain concessions must be made. Learning to play with in these parameters is what we all you have to do.  It's the same as a re-arm pad. 30 seconds isn't enough time to shut down the engine and get the tank caps open let alone add fuel AND ordinance. The same as a "supply" box used by a GV will repair it's engine. Some concessions are made to make the GAME playable and fun.

Depends on the size and depth of the crater and the angle at which you run through it...the basement of a house is more likely to flip a tank than a bomb crater. I've taken a tank through both. How about if HTC didn't fix some of the aircraft bugs that didn't interfere with flying them? It's just a game, who cares if something doesn't work right...apply your logic to the aircraft.

There are many "issues" with the aircraft. Read the boards about the 190 !!! I fly the game as it is set up. I know that when I'm climbing in my 38 or a 109 and that spit is closing as I drag them up in a rope that there is a point that I can chop my throttle and hard rudder over and just kinda hang there as they flop around under my guns. Is it accurate? Is my plane suppose to react like that? is the spit suppose to wallow around under my nose? How the heck should I know !!! I do know that when I do it in the game that if my aim was better I'd kill then every time  :D

Seeing I'm playing a game, what matters to me is how the game is setup to react. If the FM2 in the game out zoomed a 109 then instead of complaining that "That ain't right!" I just wouldn't zoom in a 109 in front of a FM2! We all play with in the same parameters, that's all that should matter.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 10:04:43 PM »
I understand "immersion", but as its a game played on a 2d monitor with no "physical" sensations to use as input, certain concessions must be made. Learning to play with in these parameters is what we all you have to do.  It's the same as a re-arm pad. 30 seconds isn't enough time to shut down the engine and get the tank caps open let alone add fuel AND ordinance. The same as a "supply" box used by a GV will repair it's engine. Some concessions are made to make the GAME playable and fun.

Not to belabor this point, but how does shrubbery that randomly flips a multi-ton tank make the game more playable or fun?

It's not a "concession", it's a glitch. I can't for the life of me see why you are defending it.

I perfectly accept certain other actual concessions that must be made to foster better gameplay/fun, such as rearm pads, veh supplies, airspawns in scenarios...etc.

Those are legit concessions because they help gameplay.

Tank flipping on bushes does not. It is not something we should just "accept" as an inevitable part of the game either, because this is the year 2010 and it's silly to believe that this is some unfathomable problem that could not be fixed if HTC chooses to put effort into it. Many other games that feature a ground war (yes, including MMO games as well) do not have such glaring critical flaws in physics. It is not unreasonable to wish, on the wishlist forums, that such a major issue be addressed properly.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 10:07:16 PM »
everyone has there owns opinions but it's a democracy and the majority want the flipping fixed +1  :aok
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 02:58:13 AM »
everyone has there owns opinions but it's a democracy and the majority want the flipping fixed +1  :aok

sorry no democracy here, all we can do here is ask "please sir, may I have some more"  :D.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 03:06:51 AM »
sorry no democracy here, all we can do here is ask "please sir, may I have some more"  :D.

semp

Maybe not but we still pay there paychecks and in the end they want to please there customers or they will have to look for new work.  So in the end it is still a democracy although they can't please us with every suggestion that is made.  And yes, we do need to say Please  :P
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 04:26:16 AM »
I have a couple of questions first.  Is it a glitch or a fix, to keep GVs from driving through objects? 

I remember when the windmills first came out someone figured out that you could back into one, and avoid enemy hits.

Why should any vehicle roll over in the game?

It's one of those annoying parts of the game like winning a war, and map automatically resets all the bases.  So the field you just captured is shooting your M3 to pieces.

To keep my sanity, I grin and bare it.   I just hope that someone is contemplating at least, that there could be a fix for deficiencies like these.  Oh, along with that .....    stop those convoy idiots from ruining my plane on the runway and shoving my Tiger off the bridge.  Have they never heard of a horn, to at least warn me.  :lol

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:15 AM »
 :rofl Chilli I hope they fix that too
~XO Top Gun~ Retired

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »
Not to belabor this point, but how does shrubbery that randomly flips a multi-ton tank make the game more playable or fun?

It's not a "concession", it's a glitch. I can't for the life of me see why you are defending it.

I perfectly accept certain other actual concessions that must be made to foster better gameplay/fun, such as rearm pads, veh supplies, airspawns in scenarios...etc.

Those are legit concessions because they help gameplay.

Tank flipping on bushes does not. It is not something we should just "accept" as an inevitable part of the game either, because this is the year 2010 and it's silly to believe that this is some unfathomable problem that could not be fixed if HTC chooses to put effort into it. Many other games that feature a ground war (yes, including MMO games as well) do not have such glaring critical flaws in physics. It is not unreasonable to wish, on the wishlist forums, that such a major issue be addressed properly.

no the bushes don't make it more playable or fun, but it does make it more challenging. It's an obsticial that must be avoided. So we learn to avoid it, or we have it removed. Next someone will want the trees removed because they provide an unfair advantage to someone who can shoot out but you can't shoot in. Next it will be those pesky hills that HTC is putting back in. They make it to hard to aim on the run and jeep roll too easy trying to run around them so lets get rid of them again.

By making everything "easy mode" you kill the fun and challenge of the game.

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:54 PM »
Fugitive, imagine this. Imagine if there was a glitch in this game that caused you to crash to desktop every time you rolled left more than 45 degrees in a P-51.

Rolling left is an essential part of aerial combat manuevering. Would it be challenging to fly without rolling left? Very. But wouldn't it be more challenging if that bug got fixed and you could actually be challenged properly by flying against other players?

Now, back to what we have with tank flipping. It is a glitch that ends your tank sortie whenever you brush up against shrubbery the wrong way.

Getting in and around shrubbery is an essential part of ground combat. Is it challenging to have to avoid these unrealistically imposed obstacles? Very. But wouldn't it be more challenging if this bug got fixed and we could actually test our skills properly against other tankers?

There is enough challenge in this game based on plane/vehicle matchups, historical tactics and weaponry, and the base capture dynamic. Sure, I guess I would admit that avoiding having your tank flipped on a sapling is "challenging", but I argue that having sorties ended via flipping, in a completely...

a) unrealistic
b) inanimate (no other human player involved)
c) unexpected

..way, just takes another human player away from the true challenge, and the true reason we play this game: encountering other human players on the battlefield.

And as a side note, nobody is whining about trees. And ESPECIALLY nobody will be complaining once the hills come back, their re-arrival actually been overwhelmingly requested by experienced ingame tankers.

Nobody is asking for "easy mode". We are asking that a glitch that takes people OUT of human-to-human encounters be fixed, to foster human-to-human gameplay. Even if it was a legitimate non-human challenge, such as minefields, many would still oppose it. But these are BUSHES.

You are obviously hell bent on your opinion (did you write the terrain code that has the tank flipping glitch?) so I'm not going to post further to try to convince you, I just hope you can see the other side of the argument without grouping us all as easymoding whiners.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 11:23:12 PM »
I remember the old days when you flipped your tank all you needed to do was hop in the main gun, point it at the ground and fire to flip yourself right side up.

ack-ack
:rofl :rofl :rofl You could actually do that?,That would be awesome! :banana:

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 12:12:42 AM »
I too am sick and tired of tank flipping!

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 02:34:15 AM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl You could actually do that?,That would be awesome! :banana:

Yep.  Found it out when we used to have the old Pizza map and I drove off a cliff and landed at the bottom upside down.  Wondered if it would work so I tried it and laughed my bellybutton off when it worked and cruised away like nothing happened.  This was in AH1, not sure if you can still do it though.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 02:48:06 AM »

Chinese soldiers debating whether or not tank flipping is a bug or a feature

This is why Guppy isn't allowed near a tank

Damn telephone poles

House: 1  Tank: 0