Author Topic: newb question  (Read 1736 times)

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: newb question
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »
No my mouse only has 2 buttons on it, not a gaming mouse. all i said was that i don't understand why people say a joystick is better, i fly well with a mouse, and if you say a joystick could make me do better, i would be shocked. Because i've done very well with it, thats all I'm saying.

Yes some people do well with a mouse, but as a suggestion to a new player I wouldn't recommend it. As for you trying a stick for a few seconds and then going back.... well ya  :rolleyes: of course your going to like your mouse better. Getting use to a stick could take weeks, not seconds. Have have done both and much prefer the stick. Also seeing as I have stick, throttle, and pedals, I almost NEVER have to take my hands of the controls during a fight.

Offline DeeACE

• Zinc Member
      • 71st Wolfpack
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 11:52:42 PM »
This is my setup i have complete control of surfaces and my feet are usually on my desk while i fly.

this controller cost 25-30 canadian, and i swear by it, i am getting a trackIR which will free up alot of buttons for other stuff.
anyway if you're not after the cockpit feel this is way better then the mouse.

<S> DEEMAN
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:56:34 PM by DeeACE »
No matter your altitude, always look up!
http://squadcentral.com/wolfpack.html

Offline billswagger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 12:52:33 AM »
That's actually pretty clever DeeAce.  Maybe you can save me the search and answer what the vox range does, and what vox channel is for?

I don't think i've heard of too many people using a console like controller for a flight sim. Part of the reason i prefer Logitech is that they include more buttons and for that price range they are usually the best of the lot.

Its probably good for playing other games too, but i think for people who play flight sims a joystick is gonna hold some advantages. If you play enough and get use to it then i don't think it matters much, just the same as using a mouse to fly.  I've always had a joystick so its never something i've tried.
I was mainly look to pan with the mouse, and i don't think flying with one is something i would ever consider.  I'm too comfortable with the set up i have.

Bill

Offline DeeACE

• Zinc Member
      • 71st Wolfpack
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 01:42:46 AM »
ah ok, i thought you used the mouse to fly, my bad i just skimmed the thread. Vox is your voice chat, range for friendlies close to you, channel for your squad or mission your in.

and yeah when i started i tried a flight stick, it was a twistie, and man did i  get frustrated, i used this controller for some FPS's and decided to try it out. I love it wouldn't go back ever. the main reason i like this so much is i have complete control of my plane at my finger/thumb tips, views, throttle, flaps, the whole shibang!

anyway since flying AH2 ive been through 2 of these, but really having to replace them every 1.5 to 2 years aint so bad. and you'll never hear me complain after a 8 hour session of a sore arm, neck, or back. Maybe sore thumbs lol

anyway welcome to AH :)

<S> DEEMAN
No matter your altitude, always look up!
http://squadcentral.com/wolfpack.html

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 06:03:55 AM »
Yes some people do well with a mouse, but as a suggestion to a new player I wouldn't recommend it. As for you trying a stick for a few seconds and then going back.... well ya  :rolleyes: of course your going to like your mouse better. Getting use to a stick could take weeks, not seconds. Have have done both and much prefer the stick. Also seeing as I have stick, throttle, and pedals, I almost NEVER have to take my hands of the controls during a fight.

Its cool you have pedals, a stick, throttle and all that, I'm glad it works for you. i didn't just try it for seconds actually, i went in to the DA to see how well i would do, i found a dogfight with a spit-9 i was a 109-E, i out flew him well, but i could not shoot.  :joystick:  :D i don't know, these comments i'm pointing out don't seem to strike you guys at all lol.

cheers  :salute

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »
Buck many of us have been here for 10 years.

We've seen mice guys come, and mice guys go.

We also know that a good joystick blows the socks off any mouse ever built.
For one simple reason. A mouse is designed as a pointing instrument.
A Joystick is designed for flying. It has all the controls needed in 1 location.
Including all 4 axis plus views, and buttons.

If there was any mouse ever built like that, it wouldn't be a mouse anymore.
It would be a joystick.  :)

Many of us have tried a mouse, and we've seen what mouse flyers can do.
Have you seen what you could do with a decent stick?

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
Some of us are just bad no matter what we use.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
Buck many of us have been here for 10 years.

We've seen mice guys come, and mice guys go.

We also know that a good joystick blows the socks off any mouse ever built.
For one simple reason. A mouse is designed as a pointing instrument.
A Joystick is designed for flying. It has all the controls needed in 1 location.
Including all 4 axis plus views, and buttons.

If there was any mouse ever built like that, it wouldn't be a mouse anymore.
It would be a joystick.  :)

Many of us have tried a mouse, and we've seen what mouse flyers can do.
Have you seen what you could do with a decent stick?

No not really, i guess i haven't taken the time to see if i am better or more relaxed flying with a stick, i may have gotten a bad joystick or something  :lol. who can tell, for one thing my mouth is bigger than my head, so you all must excuse me for my actions on this post. i have played aces high for 4 years now, so I'm no rookie just posting a lot of words, though i am new to this forum.

I didn't intend for my post on (newb question) to go like this, i just was confused on the reason why everyone stated that a stick was the best for every player. I guess to tell you the truth it bugged me, when people say that a stick will do the trick, when it takes skill and time in order to be a good fun flying pilot.

:salute

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »
Late War Tour 123 Statistics for Buck
   Fighter     Bomber     Attack     Veh./Boat     Total
Kills         37      5      8      3      53
Assists    20    0    5    1    26
Sorties    60    35    22    14    131
 Landed  16    12    4    5    37
 Bailed      5       4      0      0      9
 Ditched    0    0    0    3    3
 Captured    4    1    0    1    6
 Deaths    35    18    18    5    76
 Discos    0    0    0    0    0
Time hh:mm:ss    08:41:49    03:25:14    02:47:42    00:57:00    15:51:45
Rank    1411    764    1570    1988    1096

you could do tons better than this with a stick. Gabby Gabreski never kilt anyone with a mouse
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »
Or he could do worse with a stick.

Late War Tour 123 Statistics for Flushed
Kills            38         2           4               18                62                                                               Assists    23         0               0              14                37
Sorties    98        31       16             148                293

if he flys better with a mouse than a stick good for him. He just state his opinion. I didn't see him say a mouse was better for someone else than a joystick. The important thing is to have fun and enjoy your time spent playing it.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »
While I definitely agree with 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it' and if your flying with a mouse and doing well that is all well and good. Waaaaaay back when flight sims started, that's all they had, and you had to use a mouse. Games and gaming controllers evolved and now we have steering wheels for driving games and joysticks for flying games, controllers for other games, or mix and match. I usually state its more natural to use a joystick in the game, not better or worse. I will say you may learn the game slightly faster with a joystick as its more natural as I mentioned earlier.
I use the car analogy. You can steer a car and drive it fairly well with a crescent wrench for a steering wheel, but its more natural and easier to steer with a steering wheel.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 06:46:03 PM »
Late War Tour 123 Statistics for Buck
Kills         37      5      8      3      53
Assists    20    0    5    1    26
Sorties    60    35    22    14    131
 Landed  16    12    4    5    37
 Bailed      5       4      0      0      9
 Ditched    0    0    0    3    3
 Captured    4    1    0    1    6
 Deaths    35    18    18    5    76
 Discos    0    0    0    0    0
Time hh:mm:ss    08:41:49    03:25:14    02:47:42    00:57:00    15:51:45
Rank    1411    764    1570    1988    1096

you could do tons better than this with a stick. Gabby Gabreski never kilt anyone with a mouse

bj229r, i'm not known as buck on aces high II, i've looked at my scores in MA blue arena.

"Fighter"

Kills. 122       Assists. 21         ranking. 987           Deaths. 63     Landed. 51

Hit %.    0.056410

Sadly i'm not in the MA as most pilots are, usually i play in the DA.       

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:53:06 PM by Buck »

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 06:49:11 PM »

if he flys better with a mouse than a stick good for him. He just state his opinion. I didn't see him say a mouse was better for someone else than a joystick. The important thing is to have fun and enjoy your time spent playing it.

Thank you wgmount :aok finally somebody knows what i was talking about.  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 06:51:35 PM by Buck »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
bj229r, i'm not known as buck on aces high II, i've looked at my scores in MA blue arena.

"Fighter"

Kills. 122       Assists. 21         ranking. 987           Deaths. 63     Landed. 51

Hit %.    0.056410

Sadly i'm not in the MA as most pilots are, usually i play in the DA.       

Copy that, had to assume 'Buck' was your in-game name, but in the bigger picture, manipulating pixels with a mouse just isnt a flight sim!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 06:26:20 PM »
If you're having fun and are happy with your performance flying with a mouse, then by all means keep flying with a mouse!

Same goes for the gamepad.  Yes I have used similar gamepads for flying in the past (similar assignments as well) and while it was better than nothing, it's still far from being as precise as a joystick is.  Why?  My guess is the short-throw of the 'sticks' on the gamepad.  Basically you're trading a faster reaction time for less precision - but this isn't the only factor.  If you grew up using a game-pad type controller, then you're probably going to do better with one... at least without tanking your score by using a joystick for a couple months to get used to it...

Personally, I use a joystick because... well because it feels more realistic to me.  I've always been the type to crank the realism of MSFS all the way up.  I couldn't do without my Track-IR... and I'm very intrigued by the idea of a force-feedback setup (perhaps a G940 in my near future if they ever work out the driver bugs...) but I'm also frugal.  I'll probably wait until my X52 finally breaks before making that leap...