Author Topic: New computer - research almost done  (Read 3158 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: New computer - research almost done
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »
How very clever of you.  :rolleyes:

No matter how you think of it if you increase voltage to the point where you need water cooling then you are taking lifespan off your components. I usually upgrade every three to six months and components will easily last that long and yet I dont use water.

I also think your endorsement could cost a noob a lot of hard to come by cash. Way to go.

Who are you to say a 'noob' is not allowed to have an experiment with watercooling? What are you now, fun police? :D

I'm typing this on my 3rd watercooled rig and it has served me for two years without one glitch. I mean OMG how can this overvolted and near explosion thingy still be running?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 02:41:44 PM »
Are you a noob Ripley?  :D Noobs would have to be complete geeks (I know some of us are) to have 'fun' experimenting with water cooling. I have a lot of tech noobs in my squad and one of them WAS running water cooling. The problem he ran into was the maintenance requirements since you MUST monitor water levels regularly. It seems the coolant disappears out of the system over time. As a man that has experienced the decay of fuel and cooling systems over time I know for a fact that the system MUST degrade overtime (even if it isnt used at all) and eventually it WILL become a non-viable system. Apparently that can happen a lot more quickly then I suspected and I find it shocking (though not surprising) that you would suggest this for any novice system builders.

Way to go.  :aok
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 02:57:58 PM »
It didn't sound to me like Bino was exactly a n00b or anything.  I'm sure he can handle putting in a water cooling system if he wants to.

It did sound to me however that he might have gotten caught up in the techno-hype while researching and got a bit misdirected given his budget and what new stuff can do.

I'll ask you both one simple question:  If you had a choice of liquid cooling with a CRT or air cooled with an LCD which way would you go?  I bet I already know the answer.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 03:19:09 PM »
Bino...please, for the sake of us...get the LCD! You simply won't need water cooling...hell my Q9550 is at a 1ghz+ overclock on air...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 09:50:22 PM »
It didn't sound to me like Bino was exactly a n00b or anything.  I'm sure he can handle putting in a water cooling system if he wants to.

I wouldnt assume it but it doesnt matter if he is worried about money the voiding of his warranties from the very beginning is like tossing money to the gutter.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 11:02:49 PM »
Well, what did you decide to do?  Curious minds want to know.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »
Are you a noob Ripley?  :D Noobs would have to be complete geeks (I know some of us are) to have 'fun' experimenting with water cooling. I have a lot of tech noobs in my squad and one of them WAS running water cooling. The problem he ran into was the maintenance requirements since you MUST monitor water levels regularly. It seems the coolant disappears out of the system over time. As a man that has experienced the decay of fuel and cooling systems over time I know for a fact that the system MUST degrade overtime (even if it isnt used at all) and eventually it WILL become a non-viable system. Apparently that can happen a lot more quickly then I suspected and I find it shocking (though not surprising) that you would suggest this for any novice system builders.

Way to go.  :aok

How do you think people switch from noob to 'experienced' status? What you're saying essentially is that nobody should try anything outside YOUR comfort zone. Way to go!  :aok
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
Well, what did you decide to do?  Curious minds want to know.

No final decisions yet, BaldEagl.   :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2010, 12:42:32 AM »
Watercooling is a waste of time these days, use to be fun when CPUs were expensive and you gain a quite few more clocks than stock over air. But these days easier and faster improvement is to take the money from watercooling budget and just put towards a faster CPU and add a high end air cooler.

Plus why the crossfire, when you can just get a 5850 or 5870 far better option plus later down the track if you really need more perf just add a second one. For the moment a single 5870 is more performance,less hassel,less voltage and lower temp. Plus save a few bucks and get a 5850 instead. Best bang for buck at moment imho.

I have a 5870 and there isn't anything that it can't run maxed out smooth as silk. Complete overkill for AH.

<S>...-Gixer

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2010, 05:51:52 AM »
I've yet to see anything showing more than 10 - 15% gain running SLI over a good single card.

Plus on a new system with a good video card if you did get 20%, you won't see it anyway.
As any new system with a decent video card should be getting more than 75 fps with everything maxed out.
I don't know about you, but I don't see many monitors nowdays doing more than 75 mhz. So anything above that in fps your not going to see, as your FPS will be locked to your monitors refresh rate.

So is it really worth spending money on speed you'll never see?

I suspect you can get a really good air cooling for your CPU for 1/4 of what you'd spend on water.

Enough that you could certainly play with OC if that is what you want to do.

Take all the money saved and get yourself a kick butt large monitor.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »
All the parts came in last week, and so I had a nice present on Father's Day:

case:    Lian Li Pc-P50 "Armorsuit" mid-tower (air cooled)
mobo:   ASUS P6X58D-E
psu:     SeaSonic X750
cpu:     Intel Core i7-930 2.8 GHz
fan:      Zalman ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED (32 C. idle, 57 C. maxxed)
ram:     Corsair XMS3 (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
vpu:     XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB
disk:     2 JBOD x Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB
sound:  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

Running at 1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz vertical refresh, AH running with 512 textures and all the check boxes checked and all the sliders slid:

solid 85 FPS in furballs, so far.  :aok

Thanks for the input, folks!   :salute

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:08:17 PM by Bino »

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 05:31:16 AM »
All the parts came in last week, and so I had a nice present on Father's Day:

case:    Lian Li Pc-P50 "Armorsuit" mid-tower (air cooled)
mobo:   ASUS P6X58D-E
psu:     SeaSonic X750
cpu:     Intel Core i7-930 2.8 GHz
fan:      Zalman ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED (32 C. idle, 57 C. maxxed)
ram:     Corsair XMS3 (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
vpu:     XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB
disk:     2 JBOD x Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB
sound:  Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme

Running at 1600 x 1200 @ 85Hz vertical refresh, AH running with 512 textures and all the check boxes checked and all the sliders slid:

solid 85 FPS in furballs, so far.  :aok

Thanks for the input, folks!   :salute

You can go straight to 1024 textures and 4096 shadow textures on that box. 8k textures I'm not sure it might be too much for the 1Gb radeon.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:22 AM »
Ripley it should be fine...my 5770 could almost pull it with slight, slight studdering.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
say what you want..... but a good quality IT / Professional series CRT was absolutely an excellent choice of monitor being CRT type....

although the Best / Better ones cost near $500+ for a 19" to 22" even up to near $1K for even larger display, when 17" LCD monitors were costing prob less than $250.00......

the only plus I can see is the "heat" issue & the "required room needed" issue between the (2) types .......

LCD's have though, come a very long way in the past few years...... if you like the DVI lock on Frame Rate.... most LCD's have when staying direct digital signal......

YMMV......

wonder what Skuzzy prefers these days???
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
What does YMMV mean? If you don't mind me asking.(Sorry if dumb question)
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty