Author Topic: Maintaining a High Speed - High G Turn  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
Re: Maintaining a High Speed - High G Turn
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Pervert I've already sent BigRat a pm on when I can meet up w/him.

Sax, thanks for so much time and detail on the subject. I appreciate it. I agree that one of the best ways to avoid the situation to begin with is to stay fast in the F4U and keep your SA up. I am normally pretty good at maintaining my E in a fight one on one but, in some of the larger engagements where this trouble is more likely to happen I bleed too much speed looking around or, take too long to get my kill. Then, someone's on my 6 and I'm in trouble.....

Also, thanks Mtnman. I guess part of my problem is worrying too much about the reversal and trying to get a shot at him when I should just be doing my best to get out and reset the fight or come back another day. If he follows or turns away too soon I can reverse and kill him but, if he has friends that way it's best I come back another time.
 :salute

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »
My question is: How can you maintain a high G turn at very high speeds; generally 400+ MPH. This is somewhat of a "re hash" of a question that I've asked on the BBS before but, maybe I didn't ask it/word it correctly. I still got some great information but came away with the feeling that most thought it was not useful in the MA as a tactic to get to a rear hemisphere shooting solution or, maybe any shooting solution on most planes that turn well at lower speeds(zeke/Spit?/109,Ki-84, others?). This is different then going straight down to "dive out" at compression speed hoping the other plane brakes or, the downward spiral tactic where you're pointed straight down but trying to go slower hoping the other guy overshoots. This would be helpful for planes like the F4U/P-51/P-40; planes that were known for their ability to turn well and maintain control at high speeds.
    Offline I took an F4U up to 11K and put the nose down slightly to get my speed up to 400MPH. I then rolled 90degrees and let the nose remain slightly angled down. I maintained my turn over 400MPH riding the very edge of the blackout. I was able to get 2 complete turns out of the plane at over 400MPH. I lost about 6.5-7K of altitude from when I started my turn at about 10k. I maintained slightly more than 400Mph the entire time. But would this be enough to get me "around" on the planes I listed earlier? With practice has anyone done this and gotten 3 or 4 circles; and is it worth it? I understand a better low speed turning plane could stay a little slower and cut the corner for a shot but, if he missed maybe it would be the only chance he had and I would have more E and be able to go vertical and come down on top of him?
    Here is an excerpt from "Fire in the Sky" written by Eric M. Bergerud from an interview with Joel Paris an ace with the 49th Fighter Group's 7th Squadron in New Guinea;  he flew the P-40 early in the war: "If you knew what you were doing you could fight a Jap on even terms, but you had to make him fight your way. He could outturn you at slow speed. You could outturn him at high speed. When you got in a turning fight with him, you dropped your nose down so you kept your airspeed up, you could outturn him. At low speed he could outroll you because of those big ailerons; they looked like barn doors on the Zero. If your speed was up over 275, you could outroll it. His big ailerons didn't have the strength to make high-speed rolls; it was like they were set in concrete."
    Maybe this better illustrates what I mean by outturning a known T-n-B plane at high speeds.
Some interesting replys to this and some misperceptions.  First, start with looking at the physics of the issue and similar vice dissimilar aircraft.  

The first question is how do you maintain a 400mph high G turn?  Noah has it exactly right, the only way to do this with a WWII aircraft is a nose-low turn.  WWII aircraft do not have the excess power required to sustain a six G level turn so it must be nose-low to maintain speed and G.  

This really leads to the "why" would you do this question.  Remember that if you're above your aircraft's corner velocity (as 400mph is) you are limited to a 6G turn as is every other AH aircraft.  Turn rate and radius is determined by the G you're pulling and your speed so, if you're both pulling 6G at 400mph your turns are exactly the same.  OK, so if both aircraft perform the same here is there an defensive advantage?  Yes there is if the bandit is already in guns range but there's also a caveat.  In order to pull lead the bandit will have to pull greater G than you and, since you're both limited to the same 6Gs, it's impossible for him to do that provided you stay at 6G.  Essentially this means you're in a stalemate, the "caveat" comes in you realize that you don't have unlimited altitude to convert to sustain the G so something is going to have to happen otherwise you'll end up on the deck with the bandit in the same guns position he occupied before you started your high-speed spiral.  You can put off the inevitable and "hope" that help arrives or the bandit decides he doesn't want to use up all his altitude in pursuit.  As we all know "hope" is not a plan (or political strategy) so you need to consider other options such as starting the high-speed spiral and, once the bandit is committed to follow, chop your throttle and skid the plane to slow to corner velocity with the idea of tightening your turn while the bandit keeps going balls to the wall forcing an overshoot.

There are three different outcomes that are possible when it comes to dissimilar aircraft:  
--First, there are high high-speed maneuvering limits for some aircraft such as two mentioned, the 109 and Zeke.  Both of these aircraft stiffen up at high speeds and are forced to throttle back or bring the nose up to maintain control so the high-speed spiral can take away angles and gain separation.  
--Second, is relative Ps.  We know all the WWII aircraft will have negative Ps in a 6G turn so have to go nose-low to sustain it but consider a pony vs a hurricane.  Both can sustain 400mph turns with identical rates and radius but they are at different nose-low positions.  The Hurri's more negative Ps means he will have to have his nose lower to sustain the turn than the Pony which means the Hurri will be trading altitude for E at a higher rate.  The Hurri cannot get a shot due to his G limit and the Pony will gain an altitude and E advantage.  Either the Hurri will hit the deck first or the Pony will gain sufficient altitude/E advantage that he can transition to a vertical or separation/pitchback fight.
--The third outcome is arcing.  Pulling sustained G's above corner velocity creates a condition known as arcing.  That is, you're not turning at your best possible turn rate, your radius is pretty large, and your flight path describes a large, gentle arc in the sky.  You're neither gaining angles or separation and bandits can simply operate inside of your turn.  Let's go back to the Hurri vs Pony.  A smart Hurri will NOT follow a Pony into a high-speed spiral and play the Pony's game.  Generally speaking the Hurri has two options.  He can sustain 6G but keep his nose up a bit so he bleeds to near his corner velocity rather than sustain 400mph.  He then lowers his nose to sustain corner.  He will then have a higher rate and smaller radius  and will simply turn a tighter circle inside of the Pony's.  He will lose altitude quicker than the Pony but he'll gain angles putting him at a position well inside the Pony's turn and a bit lower.  Once he gains this position he then goes for his shot leveling his wings a bit and pulling up into the shot.  The disadvantage of this approach is that it's a bit difficult to maintain sight of the Pony because it's under his nose.  The Pony could reverse and extend and the Hurri not see this in time.  The other slightly different option for the Hurri is to again let the Pony arc but pull up into a quick high yo-yo to slow to near corner (for best turn rate and radius) and overbank to put his nose in front of the Pony.  (It's important the Hurri doesn't go too high in his yo-yo because that'll let the Pony gain separation even if he is arcing.)  The Hurri then dives back down in a low yo-yo  and accelerates while cutting across the Pony's arc to go to where the Pony will be.  When he arrives there he may have a crossing shot opportunity, if it doesn't look like he's going to have it then he repeats the yo-yo and continues.  The downside here is a smart Pony can avoid this by turning to keep the Hurri directly on his six when he tries to high yo-yo.  The Pony can then extend away creating separation.  Notice that in both of these counters the Pony MUST stop arcing.

So to directly answer the OP's questions.  The only way to sustain a 400mph, 6G turn is nose low.  No, this sort of turn will not "get you around" on someone's six because you are not flying your best turn rate/radius.  If the bandit has a high-speed deficiency than you can use the high-speed turn to redefine the fight and get him off your six but the turn alone doesn't equate to "getting around".  High speed fighting should be done at or near your corner velocity for best turn-rate and radius, above that and you're arcing with few advantages except in a limited set of circumstances.  Sustained high-speed turns (even at corner) all have a clock running on them called altitude.  There's only so much turning you can do before Mother Earth interceds so it's best to think ahead and plan for what you're going to do next.  

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 02:00:34 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 01:46:31 PM »
While not directly what the OP was asking, I frequently see comments regarding "planning ahead" vs "reacting".  Planning or thinking ahead is NOT the same thing as scripting a fight and it certainly doesn't preclude reacting to what the bandit does, consider it more as a "gameplan" than a script.  First, you must know what your airplane is capable of and what all the potential bandits can do.  Second, it's quickly evaluating the tactical situation, i.e., relative altitude, position, E and aircraft capabilities. Third, and this is the gameplan part of it, is determining what approach you're going to take in the fight.  It's not scripting out every single move of a fight, that's not going to work, it's knowing what you're trying to achieve and how best to do that.

Say you're a single fighter vs a single bandit that is co-altitude and E.  You're in a Pony, he's in a Hurri so what do you already know?  You know you're faster, and can climb better but he'll outturn you and has a killer knock out punch.  You also know the Hurri can dive real well so disengaging will be difficult unless you have a significant E advantage....on the other hand, you know the Hurri can't get away from you.  You're sure the Hurri will want an angles fight and will try to intimidate you with his nose so you immediately choose an energy fight and lower your nose to trade a bit of altitude for speed.  You already know how you want this fight to progress even before the merge.  Because the Hurri has a smaller turn radius you know you want to force a two-circle fight to keep him outside of your turn circle.  You want an energy fight so you know you want to use your most efficient and effective turn rates so you want to work around your corner velocity and use no more than one notch of flaps.  You'll also want to work with your nose higher than the Hurri's to build an altitude advantage and that you want to minimize his shot opportunities with his 20mm guns.  You also expect that he'll shoot at any opportunity so you're always prepared to jink to avoid any forward quarter shots he does take.

So, now take it a step further.  You're above corner, your merge will be from low to high and you'll force the two circle.  The nose-high merge will convert speed to altitude and give you a very good turn rate near corner while letting you observe what the Hurri does.  If he accepts your two-circle fight then continue your fight, if he reverses and forces a one-circle fight then roll-out, unload and extend to redefine the fight as an extension pitchback. Say he accepts the two-circle fight you immediately start looking ahead toward the next merge and focus on his nose position relative to yours.  If you see that he's inside your turn radius with only a few angles you know that the Hurri has a smart pilot and this is going to take a while.  He's aware of his E state and isn't selling everything for angles.  On the other hand, maybe you see him well inside your turn circle with 45 deg of angles.  Those angles had to come from somewhere and that's E.  The Hurri has the stick back in his lap and is selling everything to get angles and a quick shot.  You continue your direction of turn to maintain the two-circle fight and start to work the turns into alternating high and low yo-yo's.  Low yo-yo's let you accelerate to above corner and high yo-yo's take you back down to corner while minimizing your turn radius.  If he has lots of angles (maybe his flaps are starting down) you know he's below 150 while you're still at 225, you've got a large energy advantage which is what you're looking for.  On the next merge you really unload and accelerate with wep into the merge and, at the merge you level your wings and go pure vertical.  The Hurri will either follow into a rope or try to dive away.  In either case he's used most of his E.  If he follows you up in the rope, drag him up.  When he falls off, you drop in and nail him.  If he runs, you immediately reverse, drop in, and nail him.

The point to the above isn't to discuss Pony vs Hurricane tactics, it's just to illustrate a throught process and decisions a pilot could make, that's what's meant by planning ahead.  The best pilots never just "react".  If that where true then they're allowing the other pilot to define the fight.  Many good sticks that claim that they just react are oversimplifying what they're doing, perhaps without even thinking about it.  While not consciously thinking through each step they have learned what choices a bandit has and how to force him into bad choices.  One of the simplist examples of planning ahead is the low to high merge.  By diving down a fighter gains speed which he then converts to altitude and turn rate after the merge while the bandit is forced into a nose low merge forcing him to fight G to get the nose back up.  If the bandit stays level he give up angles.  If he goes up then he's turning in front of the fighter and the fighter will be behind his 3-9 line as they both go up.  When a bandit makes a mistake the good stick isn't surprised because he's been working to force that mistake so expects it and reacts to it quickly and efficiently to achieve a kill.  This isn't much different than calling a play in football.  The quarterback knows what options the defense has given the offensive play call so looks to where the defense has given an opportunity and reacts to it.  From a training perspective, new sticks need to force themselves to consciously think ahead...if I do this, what options does that give him?  How will I respond to each of these options?  They need to work on this until it becomes second nature.  Being one, two or even three steps ahead of the bandit is really what differentiates a good stick from an average or poor one.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:28 AM »
God Bless U Mace! You nailed it; this is what I was getting at. I never go in to a fight planning to have someone 800 off my dead 6 but, it happens plenty(even to good sticks at time) so what are some things I can do? That was my planning part, it's only if it happens against my intentions. The high g turn/spiral would be one possibility I would have considered, there would also have to be a plan b and, maybe a plan c. However, if I can't be sure that anyone of them will work or what to look for during the maneuver how can I manage the fight at all.
    In your first reply the first part of your answer is also what I was looking for. The possibility to gain separation; can it work and what are some things I should look for? I kept thinking (even though several in this thread thought in not wise or possible) that considering the tendency of some planes to aileron lock or, not be able to pull more than 5g's this strategy could work to at least gain separation if not a firing solution. Then I could exit the fight and come back on my terms or, just go home if I'm outmatched. If they do start to gain angles on me then they've probably "sold out" in some area. They've slowed significantly in which case they may be able to get a shot but it also may allow me to go vertical on them or at least make an obleak reversal. If they don't follow me then my maneuver has worked! It got them off of my 6 which was the whole reason for the maneuver in the first place.
In my very first question I asked about being able to get 3 or 4 turns and maintain that high g turn; had anyone been able to do it in the F4U and how? I would only continue a turn like that if it was working to my advantage; getting me the separation/angle that I wanted. If my opponent didn't buy it or if it's somehow not working it's time for plan b.....Whatever that is....???
Again Mace thanks!!!
 :rock

Offline manurin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 09:32:30 AM »
Very nice writing Mace!  :aok
71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF