Author Topic: A-26 Invader  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Re: A-26 Invader
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
The impression I get from people's posts about the A-26 is that they want it as a fighter, not as an attack plane.

You've got a valid point, but that's more just the way I've been phrasing things.

What I really mean is that a small number of people (probably those who are currently good with the A-20, at a guess) would use it very effectively as a fighter.  However, I think RipChord has said the real reasons for the A-26 best:

A26 Hell YES :aok   Just a few of these, comin in fast in shallow dive, could get from the dar ring to over the base, before fighters could get enough alt to meet them. With enough ord to clobber 2 hangers in one DB pass, they could leave a field totally defenseless in 30 seconds or less.. And then escape with 500mph dive speed.. If mem serves, it used a laminar flow wing like the pony, so it should retain E pretty well too.. Looks like the heavy gun package had 16x50cals too, LOL!!  Base cap fighters would have to remain on station to guard against these fast sneak attacks from an unknown direction.. A game changer for sure ..   
Better have those 262's with alt for defense!

+1 It fits all the criteria for addition to the game..
+1 It is a genuine "Late War" design for the LW arena's..
+1 It would be great to have a perk bomber, that is REALLY WORTH the perks, every bit!

RC

I really can't disagree with what he said at all.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2010, 03:01:25 PM »
A-26 and B-29 would probably some pretty soon after one another as the new defensive gun systems would have to be added.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 03:09:10 PM »
-1 on the A-26
we got enough U.S.A aircrafts
I'd much rather see a Pe-2, Tu-2, Ki-102, Beaufighter or Me410 than the A-26.  They can do similar jobs and aren't yet more representation to the most represented planeset.
oh yeah!!!
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
-1 on the A-26
we got enough U.S.A aircrafts oh yeah!!!

Did you even read the bits about a perked bomber, or the vote? :P
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 04:17:48 PM »
Mossie B.Mk XVI, making use of lots of this new Mossie artwork they just did, would make a nice perk bomber too.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
I'd much rather see a Pe-2, Tu-2, Ki-102, Beaufighter or Me410 than the A-26.  They can do similar jobs and aren't yet more representation to the most represented planeset.
The impression I get from people's posts about the A-26 is that they want it as a fighter, not as an attack plane.

so what your saying is that it is ok for a fighter to carry bombs
  but not ok for a attack ac to use as a fighter ? :rofl
 an a20 or a26 for that matter isent that much bigger then a mossy/p38/110 

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
I'd much rather see a Pe-2, Tu-2, Ki-102, Beaufighter or Me410 than the A-26.  They can do similar jobs and aren't yet more representation to the most represented planeset.

A26 is a buff that can also dogfite.  so we can use it to bomb the heck out of the field and cap it at the same time.  kinda like the 110's we use now to kill town and cap with it.  of course the mossie can do it too, but mossie is not a dogfiter or can carry as much ords as the a26. 

and yeah, yeah and before u guys start talking about what a great fiter the mossie is, may i remind you that all u do is bnz and run in it, get into a low turn fite and you are ded.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
I've won lots of turn fights in the Mossie.  You might want to learn to use it before you tell us what we do in it.

so what your saying is that it is ok for a fighter to carry bombs
  but not ok for a attack ac to use as a fighter ? :rofl
 an a20 or a26 for that matter isent that much bigger then a mossy/p38/110 

Not at all.  I am saying that the people asking for it don't want to bomb things with it, they want to use it air-to-air mainly.  Read their posts and the go on and on about its speed, maneuverability and firepower.  The bombload doesn't come up until somebody mentions that it would be fairly weak as a dogfighter.  Could you dogfight with it?  Of course, but it isn't going to be the wonderfighter you expect it to be.  The Mossie is superior as a fighter and it is certainly nothing to brag about in that department.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:48:43 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 05:50:04 PM »
, but mossie is not a dogfiter or can carry as much ords as the a26. 

semp

And the A-26 is?  Why not tell us how many fighters A-26 shot down in total and then compare it to the numbers shot down by Mosquitos.  The A-26 was not a dogfighter and never was intended to be one or used in that role. 

The problem is that people look at the A-26 with rose tinted glasses remembering how it was in AW.  The only problem was that the AW flight model was so porked that it made it possible to fly the A-26 in such a manner.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 12:32:19 AM »
And the A-26 is?  Why not tell us how many fighters A-26 shot down in total and then compare it to the numbers shot down by Mosquitos.  The A-26 was not a dogfighter and never was intended to be one or used in that role. 

The problem is that people look at the A-26 with rose tinted glasses remembering how it was in AW.  The only problem was that the AW flight model was so porked that it made it possible to fly the A-26 in such a manner.

ack-ack

oh brother, go to sleep.  say u dont like the a26 and leave it at that.  let the rest of us worry about how to use it, if and when it gets here.  by the way tell me how many lancs could dive bomb and outturn fiters again....

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 12:36:19 AM »
Question: How long has it been since we've had a new late war monster ADDED to AH2? Not counting the P47M...

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 12:41:27 AM »
When the Mosquito VI was first added, and until the first patch, it launched out of the bomber hangars and earned bomber perks.  You can imagine what happened when all the fighter hangars were destroyed at a base under attack.  Hordes of Mossies were spawning and trying to get up.  They were massively more effective at doing so than the B-26, the previous desperation aircraft from the bomber hangars.  The A-26, like the A-20 and unlike the Mosquito which, in the Mk VI version is properly a fighter, would up from the bomber hangars.  That is not an issue, but it would be significantly more effective as a desperation defense bomber than either the Il-2 or SBD-5.  I would guess its perk value would be significant enough to sting if thrown away by trying to up it to defend bases like that.

Question: How long has it been since we've had a new late war monster ADDED to AH2? Not counting the P47M...
Question:  How many late war monsters are left to be added?

Why should, of the few remaining late war monsters, the next one be yet another American unit added to an already well rounded planeset?  Why not a Tu-2 instead?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:43:13 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 03:26:53 AM »
oh brother, go to sleep.  say u dont like the a26 and leave it at that.  let the rest of us worry about how to use it, if and when it gets here.  by the way tell me how many lancs could dive bomb and outturn fiters again....

semp

who said I didn't like the A-26?  Don't think I've ever posted anything that remotely says what you claim, I just don't believe the A-26 should be added at this point when there are too many other planes that need to be added. 

Since you think the A-26 was used as a dogfighter and the Mosquito wasn't, why don't you show some data to back that up?  Or are you afraid that the 6 kills credited to the A-26 in A2A engagements pales in comparison to the A2A kills the Mosquito racked up during the war?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2010, 03:35:46 AM »
Just take a look at the numbers online at any single given day. The overwhelming majority are playing in LW. There for, a new late war monster would see much more use then yet another LW hanger queen. Amirite?

Karnak,

Yak-3.
A-26.
B-29.
Meteor.
Me-410.
Spitfire Mk.21
Spitfire Mk. XII.

Just a few.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:47:19 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 04:00:03 AM »
Yak-3: VK-105 engine, nothing special, inferior to the VK-107 engined Yak-9U we have.

A-26: Bomber, fighter prey, nothing special.

B-29: Would be massively perked and, per HTC, would take the effort of 10 other planes to create.

Meteor Mk III: Would be highly perked.

Me410: Great addition, mid-war utility plane, easy kill for most fighters.

Spitfire F.21: Not significantly superior to the Spitfire Mk XIV, saw practically no use in WWII.

Spitfire Mk XII: Mid war Griffon Spit, Guppy would be thrilled, but only 100 made and performance that is nothing great by 1945 standards.

Just a few: Which you are apparently unfamiliar with.  You also didn't seem to understand the Tu-2 suggestion, or you don't know what it was.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-