Author Topic: Thank you for the nightime!  (Read 2173 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Thank you for the nightime!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
Awww, no please don't disable the night?!  :huh
Yeah, I know...it's just another sore spot that has to be dealt with in a more subtle manner. It could end up being one of those "just for today" things based on whatever setup is running...and it would be announced too.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 03:17:39 PM »
It might be fun to have a 3 hour night time event in the next iteration of a European terrain if we can scrape enough reasonable substitutes together.

Mosquito night raids against the LW is always fun in the dark if the operations area is sufficiently restricted

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
Hi Dawger!

I was the first to cheer night combat comeback but I'm aware that it's not appealing to everyone and it cannot be used at least while there is people that "cheats" tweaking the gamma...

So, it must be used in very short periods, in very special conditions... otherwise, it becomes a liability, instead of an asset and drive people away instead of pulling them in.

Just my $0,02 cheers,
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 06:30:26 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing the whole night scene getting a high priority in the future. I am visualizing ground flickering in the light of the burning towns and airfields. Searchlights lightning up the clouds. And perhaps some cities with a few lights here and there..
I really want to be a nightfighter, and I want to start my practice NOW!  :rock   :x   :aok
TheStig

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 06:37:40 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing the whole night scene getting a high priority in the future. I am visualizing ground flickering in the light of the burning towns and airfields. Searchlights lightning up the clouds. And perhaps some cities with a few lights here and there..
I really want to be a nightfighter, and I want to start my practice NOW!  :rock   :x   :aok
No problem if you're also willing to have those instrument panel lights creating a soft glow that can be seen from different angles...and let's not forget the nav and landing lights...could be quite funny when people forget to turn that stuff off.

Night is as controversial as no enemy icons..."doesn't promote interaction" is the biggest argument...gamma manipulation is second.
jarhed  

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 06:58:37 PM »
A 5 minute night flight is perfect for the arena as it adds another element to a bomber or C47 trying to sneak in,  or  just dogfighting.   Can't wait to see more of the same again soon.
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 07:08:50 PM »
A 5 minute night flight is perfect for the arena as it adds another element to a bomber or C47 trying to sneak in,  or  just dogfighting.   Can't wait to see more of the same again soon.

I've noticed the current dar settings leave no room for bomber or goon ops. The past two setups the dar coverage is 100% of the map full dot coverage down to the deck.
While this makes it easy to find a fight it makes it hard on bomber guys much less C-47 drivers. There's just no stealth factor. I believe this was done to overcome radar porkers. Porking a radar to enable a raid or capture I see no problem with. Porking the dar just to be a PITA or for quick and easy attack points is something else. I wonder what you guys would think of going back to realistic radar but hardened a bit? I would think realistic radar settings would be better for bomber pilots than 5 minutes of darkness with the current dar settings where all you have to do is fly to the dot and look up or down day or night. What are your thoughts gldnbb?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »
Does the CM setting to allow radar visible only from tower and not cockpit apply to both dot-dar and bar-dar?   I think dot-dar/bar-dar from tower and only bar-dar when in cockpit would be a good balance.  Also let's some play the role of ground-controller if they wanted.

“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 07:36:21 PM »
Does the CM setting to allow radar visible only from tower and not cockpit apply to both dot-dar and bar-dar?   I think dot-dar/bar-dar from tower and only bar-dar when in cockpit would be a good balance.  Also let's some play the role of ground-controller if they wanted.

I'm not sure on the CM settings but that's a good idea you have there.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »
That can be done.
jarhed  

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2010, 03:06:42 AM »
No problem if you're also willing to have those instrument panel lights creating a soft glow that can be seen from different angles...and let's not forget the nav and landing lights...could be quite funny when people forget to turn that stuff off.

Night is as controversial as no enemy icons..."doesn't promote interaction" is the biggest argument...gamma manipulation is second.

Oh yes, music to my ears.  :x

I really want to have instrumentlights that people can forget to turn off, nav light and landing lights also. It is things I've missed in the other arenas as well. But if we get it in AvA I will be satisfied.  :aok

Perhaps the AvA could become a testing arena for random weather too, even a change in weather across the map? It would be great for dragging more people into the arena I think, if they never knew what to expect in a way.. I know that would thrill me.
Perhaps we could even get thunderstorms building up where the cold and warm fronts meet.. A complete weathersystem within a few years..  :aok :D

Well, lets atleast keep the night for a starter..  :pray
TheStig

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2010, 04:23:56 PM »
Very nice idea Bug! I like it. DAR, DAR/BAR, hardened antennas, 5 minutes of night every hour... Maybe some low, heavy clouds circling the map... Looks nice...
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »
Clouds and fog I think can be easily done to varying degrees. Would be very cool on certain terrains where it would be fitting.
jarhed  

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
Does the CM setting to allow radar visible only from tower and not cockpit apply to both dot-dar and bar-dar?   I think dot-dar/bar-dar from tower and only bar-dar when in cockpit would be a good balance.  Also let's some play the role of ground-controller if they wanted.

Yes!    And is currently in use in Warbirds WWII (minus the dar bar).  It only takes about 30 seconds or a minute for someone to hang in tower and provide radar reports.   However AH dar bar would allow for guys inflight with low numbers to head to a reported area and then search for them....  Camraderie in Warbirds WWII arena  always have guys in the tower  vectoring others to the enemy.  In fact, some people walk into the WWII warbirds arena from the main arena and enjoy that format.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:31:02 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
one word... GAMMA :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy