Author Topic: Thank you for the nightime!  (Read 2171 times)

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
Re: Thank you for the nightime!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2010, 06:38:32 AM »
Clouds and fog I think can be easily done to varying degrees. Would be very cool on certain terrains where it would be fitting.

Just adjust the day sky/fog & cloud color settings in the Arena Settings menu to greyish colortones and we have overcast. I have that setting in my offline mode, and it looks alot better than the bright blue sky I think. Looks more realistic too..
TheStig

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
Just adjust the day sky/fog & cloud color settings in the Arena Settings menu to greyish colortones and we have overcast. I have that setting in my offline mode, and it looks alot better than the bright blue sky I think. Looks more realistic too..
What terrain. You wouldn't want that for a summer in N.Africa setup.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
What terrain. You wouldn't want that for a summer in N.Africa setup.

No, its most suitable for the European looking terrains I think.. For those kind of terrains I really like the settings USRanger uses for some of his offline missions.  :aok
TheStig

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2010, 07:53:33 PM »
I've noticed the current dar settings leave no room for bomber or goon ops. The past two setups the dar coverage is 100% of the map full dot coverage down to the deck.
While this makes it easy to find a fight it makes it hard on bomber guys much less C-47 drivers. There's just no stealth factor. I believe this was done to overcome radar porkers. Porking a radar to enable a raid or capture I see no problem with. Porking the dar just to be a PITA or for quick and easy attack points is something else. I wonder what you guys would think of going back to realistic radar but hardened a bit? I would think realistic radar settings would be better for bomber pilots than 5 minutes of darkness with the current dar settings where all you have to do is fly to the dot and look up or down day or night. What are your thoughts gldnbb?

Being accustomed to Warbirds WWII settings where there is no inflight radar at all and you have to rely on someone in tower to vector you to a fight,  I would support your suggestion of having more realistic radar settings,  maybe just  dar-bar in the sector to accomodate the less-hardliners looking for a fight but give enough mystery for them to find the bandit or the bomber.   

However I've heard repeatedly that the AvA is not really set up for realistic bombing of fields or set up as a base capture objective.  So I don't know if they'll flex outside of only accomodating to find a dogfight.  I really like wwii aspects, but that objective then makes it useless to even have bombers / troops enabled at all.   

If possible to implement:  I'm all for eliminating inflight dot dar below 200 feet for the c47 at the very very least.   
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 01:59:33 PM »
Get in there soon Bar!  This setup is one of the AvA's best IMO.

AGREED!!! I flew in last night for the first time and it was a blast. I think I may have gotten only one kill all night and never landed (not much change there  :D)but it was still a lot of fun. Having no icon keeps everyone down in the weeds trying to keep the enemy above the horizon. I cant tell you how many times I was whipping my head around trying to keeps eyes on two cons and losing one in the landscape. Or following a 47 down and trying to keep eyes on him as he ducked around trees and hills. Pretty realistic with the weather in there as well. Just awesome. Hats off to the AVA. 

:rock
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »

If possible to implement:  I'm all for eliminating inflight dot dar below 200 feet for the c47 at the very very least.   

its set for 250 for all planes. it can't be done on a plane by plane basis.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
AGREED!!! I flew in last night for the first time and it was a blast. I think I may have gotten only one kill all night and never landed (not much change there  :D)but it was still a lot of fun. Having no icon keeps everyone down in the weeds trying to keep the enemy above the horizon. I cant tell you how many times I was whipping my head around trying to keeps eyes on two cons and losing one in the landscape. Or following a 47 down and trying to keep eyes on him as he ducked around trees and hills. Pretty realistic with the weather in there as well. Just awesome. Hats off to the AVA. 

:rock

Jappa,

Glad that you made it!  I would like to ask, what prompted you to come in and take a peek?

• Number of players was 6 or more?
  • Was curious about what you had heard?
  • Was invited to stop in and see?
  • Heard about no enemy icons?
  • Heard about historical matchups?
  • Was looking for an alternative to main arenas and dueling arena?
  • Had never seen night time in Aces High?
  • Other?

Not everyone has such a gleaming  :angel: opinion the first time they fly in the arena.  You description of how you adjusted to the settings and took on the challenge is quite commendable.

This has been a slow process of building up a community that is willing to fly in an arena where no wars are won, planes are limited and also assigned to countries, and no accumulation of perk points are awarded for victories. 

The numbers of active players in the arena does not reflect the number of players looking for a challenge that is closer to WW2 simulation.  It does reflect the number willing to devote a portion of their $15 investment waiting on others to join the arena to get things started.  The only positive reinforcement comes from sharing good times with other like minded individuals.

Please help us to get the word out. Just invite one friend to come in with you, even if the arena is empty.  Actively explore the best area to dogfight each other.  Do this for 5 minutes, and I will bet you $15 that more will come in and in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes, you will have more action than you could ask for.

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »
Well.....

•Number of players was 6 or more? Yeah I think there were 6 in when my wing and I joined.
•Was curious about what you had heard? Yes
•Was invited to stop in and see? not really
•Heard about no enemy icons? Yes, I really enjoy the low or no enemy icons.
•Heard about historical matchups? I remember this from before. Ive enjoyed most of the setups that Ive seen in there.
•Was looking for an alternative to main arenas and dueling arena? Always :)
•Had never seen night time in Aces High? Once in a snapshot we started at night and flew two sorites. The second we lifted in A8s just as the sun rose. was very cool.
•Other?

I really enjoyed this set up and love to see more but im a bit biased. Puma44 and I have been flying for over a year using a lot of the real world type tactics. Brings another dimension to the game for me. We dont rack up a bunch of kills but thats not what is important to us atm. So the added realism of no icons is a much welcomed change from the MA were I find myself watching the range ticker half the time and the wings the other...

I think you will see much more of Puma and I  :salute
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends