Author Topic: TA-152H "White 7" Stab/JG301  (Read 6657 times)

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
TA-152H "White 7" Stab/JG301
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:00:13 PM »
TA-152H "White 7", Werknr. 150007, of Stab/JG301

Had a great time tracking down all the information for this plane. The last picture was discovered somewhat recently and tied some other well known pictures to "White 7". Since it's a newer picture, some of the older Ta 152 books are obsolete when discussing "White 7".

Open to criticism as always, especially since Luftwaffe details aren't my strongest subject.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 07:02:11 PM by cactuskooler »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: TA-152H "White 7" Stab/JG301
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 07:21:22 PM »
What is the black square shaped marking on the tail in the photo? Nice job as well :aok

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 07:36:07 PM »
What is the black square shaped marking on the tail in the photo? Nice job as well :aok

The rectangle area surrounding the Werknummer was masked off to avoid overpainting, which created the rectangle that appears black in the photo.

Better picture...

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:49:54 PM »
Love it Cactus :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 05:14:12 PM »
Nicely done! Love the RLM82  :aok
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »
Excellent work! I like your artistic styles.  :aok
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 05:41:17 PM »
 :x
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »
I ordered a new book about a month ago that is due out in June it's a leather bound edition on TA-152's & hand signed by Willi Reschke. It is supposed to have 180 black & white photos as well as 40 colour photo's & much much more. Hopefully some stuff that me be of use here in the skins department.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 11:47:22 PM »
I ordered a new book about a month ago that is due out in June it's a leather bound edition on TA-152's & hand signed by Willi Reschke. It is supposed to have 180 black & white photos as well as 40 colour photo's & much much more. Hopefully some stuff that me be of use here in the skins department.

Thomas H. Hitchcock's new Ta 152 book? I received my copy a couple weeks ago, although it wasn't that deluxe edition(which I'm still fighting the urge to get). It has two pages dedicated to this plane with pictures and a profile. Thinking off the top of my head there's also a couple pages and profiles for Green 4, Green 9, and Yellow 1, 2, and 3, among others. I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 01:26:53 AM »
Thomas H. Hitchcock's new Ta 152 book? I received my copy a couple weeks ago, although it wasn't that deluxe edition(which I'm still fighting the urge to get). It has two pages dedicated to this plane with pictures and a profile. Thinking off the top of my head there's also a couple pages and profiles for Green 4, Green 9, and Yellow 1, 2, and 3, among others. I've enjoyed it quite a bit so far.
Great I am glad I got it then :aok interestingly we seem to have a lot of the same books. :D

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 05:31:38 AM »
Beautiful work, Cactus!   

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 06:54:53 AM »
That looks very very sharp Cactus!

Will be my default Ta-152 skin.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2010, 04:01:47 PM »
Changed the color of the Green Stab horizontal bar to more of a turquoise color, as seen on one of my profiles and the NASM's Ta 152.

cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 08:44:30 PM »
Changed the color of the Green Stab horizontal bar to more of a turquoise color, as seen on one of my profiles and the NASM's Ta 152.

(Image removed from quote.)

I'd be careful doing that. Sometimes it's a clear case of "oh, they used this color" but sometimes it's misleading.

This paint has been exposed and eroding for 60 years in open storage in the Air and Space Museum in many cases. Paint colors change, fade, degrade, can be affected by environments to become darker or lighter or shift colors (look at olive drab, so many different ways it reacts to enviroments!).

Going by a picture, which is reprinted in a book, and taken on a plane 60+ years after the fact, isn't exactly the most accurate color. The lights used to take the picture, the angle of the picture, the specularity of the paint, the quality of the film crystals, the printing process, the light you read the book under, and the way you scan the page can all subtly change the color and in the end. Also, that particular picture was taken as an artistic photo showing the grains and textures in the metal more than the colors themselves.

Still not very good lighting, here's another angle of the same:

Now, after 60 years of fading, isn't it possible it's got a greenish tint to it? The LW had many different shades of green. I say this for the sake of making you think about it. The color on the skin is your call. I just wanted to caution against dropping everything and redoing it just because a picture shows something else.  :D

I would say the most logical is to look at the colors the LW was using on similar planes and base your jugdments on that, rather than a new picture. It's very informative when looking back on things, but does not really recreate the exact shade that was used way back then. I don't recall seeing any turquoise-ish colors on RVB before, so I'm a bit unconvinced blue is totally right just yet.

The skin looks nice overall. I like it. I would suggest making the green wave-forms on the underside leading edges shorter. They extend back pretty far as you get out to the wingtips.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 08:46:18 PM by Krusty »

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:43 AM »
It's not just the NASM plane that has me thinking twice on the color. I'm looking at an article that's discussing it. It says that a Stab plane would have a green bar, but they're thinking that they may have used RLM25 HELLGRÜN for it. Despite the name, RLM25 has more of a blue-green appearance than green.

Coupling that with the NASM bird, I'm more inclined to believe that it's not quite the green I have in the first post. I have nothing to say I had it right the first time, other than one of the two profiles I have. In the end I'm not sure anyone has a definite answer, and if they do I'm sure I'll be the last to find out. ;)

I would suggest making the green wave-forms on the underside leading edges shorter. They extend back pretty far as you get out to the wingtips.

Any other 152 I would agree, but not this particular one. :)

Edit: Was it 60 years ago when the NASM plane was color sanded? I don't remember hearing when they did it but I got the impression it was more recent.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 12:52:59 AM by cactuskooler »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart