Author Topic: Eyecandy  (Read 4848 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Eyecandy
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 04:09:55 PM »
if only that worked with buffs

What part of 15, Death Star-like guns is not enough protection?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 04:13:21 PM »
It's that trigger-squeeze syndrome. For some reason, there's never enough ammo. :P
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 04:20:45 PM »
It's that trigger-squeeze syndrome. For some reason, there's never enough ammo. :P

tHAT HAPPENS  TO me :joystick:
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »
Don't worry, we all learn to control our triggers. :t
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:54 PM »
CC Den, the taking aim and shooting take longer to reach as we learn how to prepare our shot slower and more precise  :t
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 07:12:02 PM »
In the last graphic update we saw photorealistic ground textures, bump maping, reflections, pixel lighting on the water, animated water, new trees, dynamic shadows on planes and just recently on other planes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that HTC will keep adding to this fantastic new world they've created.

Here's my wishlist:

When I'm sitting in the cockpit I feel like there's no barrier keeping me from the elements. Some additional detail on the glass and acrylic canopies wouldn't go a miss. Reflections, a scratch here and there, maybe even a little spec of dirt in the corners where the glass/acrylic meet the metal of the airframe would be awesome!

The sky could do with some attention, in contrast to the new ground it looks rather bland and after all it's where I spend 99% of my time. Some new clouds which cast dynamic shadows on the ground would also be mind blowing. They have this in Wings of Prey and it really adds to depth perception of the virtual world. Hell, maybe even some water drops on the conopie when entering a cloud?

Anyone else have ideas?

Technical hurdles notwithstanding (and there are, of course), I think these are both good ideas for the wishlist.

Volumetric clouds are more than just eye candy, IMO, if they can be implemented in a way that icons are occluded while in a cloud.  Then they became tactical tools for attack and evasion.

The canopies wish would be pure eye candy, of course, but it would be very immersive.  I think that canopy reflections could be useful if they were visible to others.  For instance, seeing the flash of the sun on a fast-moving canopy or polished bit of metal.  So, I'd also like to see reflection of the sun on other planes' canopies and bright specular points on glass/polished metal.  As an example, have you ever noticed how brightly cars' windshields and chrome can reflect the sun as they zoom past you, or even from far away? 

But there are technical issues with doing all this and not killing lower end machines, I suppose.  It's the "wish" list, so there you go.  I hope they can do it one day.

FWIW,

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »

The canopies wish would be pure eye candy, of course, but it would be very immersive.  I think that canopy reflections could be useful if they were visible to others.  For instance, seeing the flash of the sun on a fast-moving canopy or polished bit of metal.  So, I'd also like to see reflection of the sun on other planes' canopies and bright specular points on glass/polished metal.  As an example, have you ever noticed how brightly cars' windshields and chrome can reflect the sun as they zoom past you, or even from far away? 

This effect is called HDR, it's been around for a while and a lot of games have it, I don't think we'll see it in AH any time soon though.
The biggest thing for me is that I'd like to see the effects that are currently done with sprites updated (like muzzle flash, fires etc.) and the sounds system overhauled... those are both easier said than done though :)
Having an alpha bitmap on all of the windshields and canopies would be awesome.... a few of the WWI planes have them, I've noticed, as does the RV8, and armored glass in a lot of planes... and the gunsights, obviously. Not sure what the technical hurdle is here.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 07:33:03 PM »
Technical hurdles notwithstanding (and there are, of course), I think these are both good ideas for the wishlist.

Volumetric clouds are more than just eye candy, IMO, if they can be implemented in a way that icons are occluded while in a cloud.  Then they became tactical tools for attack and evasion.

The canopies wish would be pure eye candy, of course, but it would be very immersive.  I think that canopy reflections could be useful if they were visible to others.  For instance, seeing the flash of the sun on a fast-moving canopy or polished bit of metal.  So, I'd also like to see reflection of the sun on other planes' canopies and bright specular points on glass/polished metal.  As an example, have you ever noticed how brightly cars' windshields and chrome can reflect the sun as they zoom past you, or even from far away?  

But there are technical issues with doing all this and not killing lower end machines, I suppose.  It's the "wish" list, so there you go.  I hope they can do it one day.

FWIW,

I like the idea of a sudden high-spec flash of the sun on the glass/plexiglass/whatever of the canopy, and ESPECIALLY making aircraft with bare aluminum or glossy paint jobs (IE, P-51s, P-38s, P-47s in bare metal, and F6Fs and F4Us using the late-war overall dark blue, which was a specular paint) actually reflect sunlight like they should. It could help with spotting low-flying aircraft against the ground when the sun hits their canopy.

Heck, I'd like to be able to make normal maps for aircraft.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:35:05 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 07:46:05 PM »
You know what...

This is one of the best Wishlist threads in a really long time!  If not for the ideas/discussions themselves, but rather because reading through 4 pages has not been this enjoyable in..............  Quite possibly ever!!! 

There may really be nothing specific to give a "+1" to, but yet with almost every reply, daydream's flying in my head become more and more wonderful as each one is read!

<S> Kazaa <S>

:salute  :airplane:  :salute
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 10:56:25 AM »
and the sounds system overhauled...

FYI, the sound system is currently getting overhauled... or at least the "base coad" of it is, which I'm sure will allow changes to the audio system. Not sure what's planned for the future but the foundation's definitely being changed over.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2010, 12:40:16 PM »
here....Kazan's picture is just one example of why we don't need to worry too much about more eye candy just yet

For those who have seen how far the eyecandy has imporved since AH 1.0 to now, I don't crave anymore yet 

:cheers: HTC for what the game looks like right now.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2010, 01:58:58 PM »
FYI, the sound system is currently getting overhauled... or at least the "base coad" of it is, which I'm sure will allow changes to the audio system. Not sure what's planned for the future but the foundation's definitely being changed over.
I noticed that in the 2.19.0 release notes... I'm... cautiously excited :)

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2010, 02:31:51 PM »
here....Kazan's picture is just one example of why we don't need to worry too much about more eye candy just yet

(Image removed from quote.)

For those who have seen how far the eyecandy has imporved since AH 1.0 to now, I don't crave anymore yet 

:cheers: HTC for what the game looks like right now.
They have made their terrain alot better but, they haven't done anything to the sky...

Can we atleast have a different sky color like this?

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 03:53:32 PM »
That looks great for an overcast day. I don't think constant grey overcast would be any better than constant blue sunny day. More dynamic lighting and weather conditions would be nice but again I think they have done alot for the visuals lately and am still enjoying the recent graphical enhancements.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
That looks great for an overcast day. I don't think constant grey overcast would be any better than constant blue sunny day. More dynamic lighting and weather conditions would be nice but again I think they have done alot for the visuals lately and am still enjoying the recent graphical enhancements.
Gotta start somewhere. :)

Possibly not that dark a grey, but regardless I like the overcast feel...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com