Author Topic: Eyecandy  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: Eyecandy
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 09:36:01 AM »
FYI the material used in most canopies of Russian manufacture aged rapidly (under sunlight) to render a slightly yellow tint. (excepting the armoured glass).

Rain drop effects seem very cool............. clouds may actually work as evasive features with such as this enabled.  Do the droplets travel across the canopy?

AH1 used to have a sort of heavy cloud shadow in one of its encarnations..............
Ludere Vincere

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »
If we receive new clouds with the possibility of fog banks swallowing bases, does that mean we get to start flying instrument approaches? :D
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Yes Tilt, the rain drops are indeed animated.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2010, 10:09:54 AM »
I'm mostly with you Kazaa.

+1 for SOME sort of glass canopy. Would prefer to have possibility of minor reflections and slight glass "tint". You can even tell you're looking out a car windshield due to dirt and stuff IRl.

+1 for improvement in clouds. Current clouds aren't bad looking at all until you get in close. Then it ain't so great. Would prefer volumetric clouds.

Also? Contrails, change in tracer glow and trails (they seem really big to me for some reason), improved fire and smoke. Shadowing and self-shadowing for objects (such as the Aircraft carrier, Hangars, Tower, etc).

And absolutely more difference between field type graphics. I'd love if small fields were little dirt runways, and large ones were the full paved ones we have now.
Oh, and USRanger's ports =)

Also, one last thing... bump mapping and environment mapping for aircraft and vehicles ;-). lol

This game actually has some very good graphics in it, but it seems like there's so many constricting decisions put on them, that it's really holding the game back from a visual standpoint. Some of the screens I've seen of terrains being made are amazing (the coral and "battleship alley" on one of Ranger's maps are GORGEOUS). I understand why some of those decisions have been made, but doesn't mean I can't wish for them to be relaxed one day.  :)
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
Anyone check orange arena today?

Nice thick carpet of medium alt cloud going on  :aok
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
One solution is to have pretty clouds on high end systems and poorer quality clouds for lower end systems that block out the exact same sections of sky.  Getting them exactly the same might be a challenge, I don't know.

Good point. Perhaps there can be a feature in the terrain editor to where the clouds are specifically tailored to the terrain? The cloud position would be fixed (and obscure surroundings), so as to have a tactical advantage during evasive manuevers and such. Since they would be fixed positions, everyone will see the same cloud in the same location at the same time. Therefore no need to implement a "server" controlled placement of clouds. Only downside is that clouds dont move or shift from place to place.

Now the real challenge is, how do we make clouds that are scaleable to low end and high end computers? While providing equal tactical significance that is. Would like to hear HTC's opinion on this subject.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2010, 01:47:12 PM »
WoP?

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2010, 02:12:10 PM »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2010, 05:28:40 PM »
Good point. Perhaps there can be a feature in the terrain editor to where the clouds are specifically tailored to the terrain? The cloud position would be fixed (and obscure surroundings), so as to have a tactical advantage during evasive manuevers and such. Since they would be fixed positions, everyone will see the same cloud in the same location at the same time. Therefore no need to implement a "server" controlled placement of clouds. Only downside is that clouds dont move or shift from place to place.

Now the real challenge is, how do we make clouds that are scalable to low end and high end computers? While providing equal tactical significance that is. Would like to hear HTC's opinion on this subject.

Actually, the cloud formations are built into the terrain using the Cloud Editor, which gives you a .awa(weather) file that you place into your terrain files prior to building the terrain into its final .res form.  This gives the terrain a default cloud setup designed by the terrain maker.  One cool thing that CMs can do (or any player flying offline) is to add a new terrainx.awa file inside your AHII/AHTERR folder and it will override the default .awa file, so you can have new cloud formations & colors.  Scenario CMs use this tool to make the skies look different for different events.

Thanks for the compliments Knite.  I try. :)
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 11:50:22 PM »
If we receive new clouds with the possibility of fog banks swallowing bases, does that mean we get to start flying instrument approaches? :D
yep. e6b calculations and a stopwatch we would just need a more acurate distance calculator
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »
yep. e6b calculations and a stopwatch we would just need a more acurate distance calculator
So when you pull up your clipboard to view the E6B you couldn't see your orientation to a location on the map? I'm guessing the clouds would be too thick to read your map...  :rofl
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »

How about VOR's, too.

Perhaps a Nav computer?

or how about

Get in yer' plane, merge with someone, and duke it out instead of trying to hide from everyone?
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 12:09:09 PM »
How about VOR's, too.

ILS would be nice.  I'm not asking for autoland, just for something to allow my B-25 to do a nice and elegant landing :)
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
ILS would be nice.  I'm not asking for autoland, just for something to allow my B-25 to do a nice and elegant landing :)
That can be done with your eyes closed...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
How about VOR's, too.

Perhaps a Nav computer?

or how about

Get in yer' plane, merge with someone, and duke it out instead of trying to hide from everyone?
if only that worked with buffs
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force