Author Topic: New sound system?  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: New sound system?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »
Advantages of miles.

1. Better codec for vox.
2. A clearer sound mixer with the ability to easily choose multiple devices and surround sound settings.
3. Round 2 of implantation will be environmental sounds, things like random sounds in tower, hanger different terrain areas.
4. The ability to ship mp3 sounds embedded in our resource files. This will allow us to do back ground music. Most licensing of mp3 music requires you do not ship it in a stand alone file.
5. We will be able to ship in blink format allowing better compression in distribution with faster decodes.

Round one is just to get the prim system stable like our previous system. Yesterday I fixed one of the voice bugs that was causing the echo probems, but there is still a bug in the microphone side, so we backed out until I have a chance to get to that. Right now are bigger fires to put out. We most likly will be working tomorrow. Also dang power has been out all day here so we are on generators.

HiTech

Thanks for all of the efforts to put us first Dale.   It's why I'll never un-subscribe.   :rock
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 05:53:54 PM »
I can guess where that storm cloud originated  :D  I for one am looking at the silver lining  :pray 

All very sound reasons to update  :bolt:

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »
Advantages of miles.

1. Better codec for vox.
2. A clearer sound mixer with the ability to easily choose multiple devices and surround sound settings.
3. Round 2 of implantation will be environmental sounds, things like random sounds in tower, hanger different terrain areas.
4. The ability to ship mp3 sounds embedded in our resource files. This will allow us to do back ground music. Most licensing of mp3 music requires you do not ship it in a stand alone file.
5. We will be able to ship in blink format allowing better compression in distribution with faster decodes.

Round one is just to get the prim system stable like our previous system. Yesterday I fixed one of the voice bugs that was causing the echo probems, but there is still a bug in the microphone side, so we backed out until I have a chance to get to that. Right now are bigger fires to put out. We most likly will be working tomorrow. Also dang power has been out all day here so we are on generators.

HiTech

Everything I was hoping for and more, looking forward to it.

:salute
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:26 PM »
Back ground music  :rock
Lighten up Francis

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
Advantages of miles.

1. Better codec for vox.

HiTech

Round 3 be possibly stereo sounds for in cockpit sounds in the planes?  Better 3d positioning.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »
Will this engine allow 2 different sound files for interior and exterior engine noises as well?  A few custom sound packs out there give you the option to switch between the two, but it would be cool if every plane had an exterior and interior engine noise.  Flyby's sound REALLY cool when the exterior sounds are enabled.

By the way, while the new sound engine was running, everything sounded great!  Good work!  :cool:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 06:13:27 PM »
Will this engine allow 2 different sound files for interior and exterior engine noises as well?  A few custom sound packs out there give you the option to switch between the two, but it would be cool if every plane had an exterior and interior engine noise.  Flyby's sound REALLY cool when the exterior sounds are enabled.

By the way, while the new sound engine was running, everything sounded great!  Good work!  :cool:

I don't think you need different sound files with Miles... I think you can just set the sounds internally and externally to use different tone, reverb, and other special effects on the SAME sound files.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
I don't think you need different sound files with Miles... I think you can just set the sounds internally and externally to use different tone, reverb, and other special effects on the SAME sound files.

More then likely u will need 2 sound files.  Files will probably be labeled as xeng.wav for external and eng.wav for internal.  FSX uses this setup for its sound.  2 files for basically everything.  Internal cockpit sounds are in stereo while all external sounds are in mono.  FSX also knows what side the exhaust is on to as far as sound.  When I pan around a plane in FSX, u can hear the difference when u pan around.  Hopefully this is what HTC is gonna implement or something close as it will really enhance the feeling/sound of the planes in the game.  Basically making it more realistic sounding.

To be honest actually, FSX uses about 4 files for eng, 2-4 files for prop wash, 2-4 for files mechanical noise (if any damage).  Reason is this.  At idle, FSX using 1 file that has the idle sound of that plane.  For instance, backfire of the engine at idle.  2nd file then would be 1/3 throttle.  3rd file be 2/3 throttle and obviously 4th file for full throttle.  Now somehow they take all the files (eng, prop wash and mechanical noise files) and blend them all together to give u the actual sound.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 07:25:09 PM »
I expect to hear birds now!

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 08:00:11 AM »

Sudz & Waffle in a threadmill...

Why do you think all the sheep vanished from the game?   Besides everyone knows that Waffle can't run very fast lol, not sure about Suds though.  :P
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
Simple fix for power generation....

Tape the donut on sudz back and put waffle behind him on the same treadmill. I think both will run faster. Might even require a transformer to throttle the power and keep it cleaner.

I suggest adding a tesla coil to discharge some power to keep it from reaching critical mass.   :D

DO NOT place the tesla too close to the treadmill unless you like roasted waffle and sudz all over the place.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 02:01:17 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »
Simple fix for power generation....

Tape the donut on sudz back and put waffle behind him on the same treadmill. I think both will run faster. Might even require a transformer to throttle the power and keep it cleaner.

I suggest adding a tesla coil to discharge some power to keep it from reaching critical mass.   :D

DO NOT place the tesla too close to the treadmill unless you like roasted waffle and sudz all over the place.

I think you have just solved the cheap unlimited power problem.

HiTech

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 09:24:08 PM »
While the inital 'test' of Miles may have been a bit of a flop, I have nothing but the utmost confidence that HTC will get it going and we'll all be 'ooohs and aaahs' when it's finally completed.  Aside from the Vox issues, I found the sounds being produced by their Miles setup to be absolutely stunning.  Even though the game sounds hadn't changed, they seemed more robust, more clear, and more detailed with patch 0.  I nearly wept! (until I hit Vox and my game crashed LOL).  When patch 1 came out which reverted back to the old sound system, the VERY FIRST thing I noticed was how poor the sounds were again.  Not poor so much that it sounded bad, but compared to the Patch 0 sounds... well.. it sucks!

I noticed that as well, and I didn't even bother to read about what was included in the new download version.  The sound quality was very nice, and several times I was thinking to myself that "wow, I've never noticed that before...".  My sound card is a decrepit Audigy Soundblaster something or other that my brother-in-law found in his scrap bin, and said "here, take it...".

I'm looking forward to seeing where HTC can take us.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
I noticed that as well, and I didn't even bother to read about what was included in the new download version.  The sound quality was very nice, and several times I was thinking to myself that "wow, I've never noticed that before...".  My sound card is a decrepit Audigy Soundblaster something or other that my brother-in-law found in his scrap bin, and said "here, take it...".

I'm looking forward to seeing where HTC can take us.

I have a similar sound card...  And I will tell you, it is still nicer than 90% of modern sound cards in existence.  Be proud of that find!  :cool:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 07:52:06 PM »
So does this mean when your on the runway with your squadies and waiting with the engine running and eveyone is idling, are the planes around you going to sound like they are idling instead of engines running full throttle? Ive been in the tower and seen guys landing gear up. Even when the prop strikes the ground you can still hear the sound of a running engine. Just small things like that I hope they fix. Plus to be able to hear the scraping sounds near you when someone is landing that way too.

Its gonna be nice to finally have the sounds of the ocean on the carriers, some ship sounds like the horns and things like that will be great! Hangar sounds will be cool too, but I wonder what kind of tools they used in the 40's.