Author Topic: New sound system?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
New sound system?
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:53:12 AM »
So, what do we get with the new Miles sound system when it works?

Better effects?

More channels i.e. more concurrent sounds?

Support for EAX 4.0 or newer?

More reliable compatibility with different soundcards around?

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Online zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: New sound system?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:55:44 AM »
We will soon see :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:46:36 AM »
Well....we did have no game vox which was certainly an improvement.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:54:23 AM »
I think that the sound system is geared to help computers without sound cards.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:50:14 AM »
Support for EAX 4.0 or newer?

More reliable compatibility with different soundcards around?
EAX support is separate from  Miles...basically 2 different sound device API's ...EAX is a Creative Labs API and Miles is somewhat of an open source API (privately developed)...Miles has a better hardware compatibility and lower process overhead.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 09:22:38 AM »
What do you get? That depends on if you have a sound card or not. If you don't have a sound card, you'll be consuming less processor cycles on retrieving, decoding, and playing sounds (things run faster). If you do have a sound card, you may not notice much of a difference in terms of speed.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 09:47:47 AM »
Well....we did have no game vox which was certainly an improvement.

We went back to the old sound system for now while they work on Miles.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:05:37 AM »
From what I understand, Miles will allow them to do more customization of sounds, with better sound detail and quality while using LESS resources.  If... scratch that.. WHEN they get it working, this will be a very smart move for HTC, allowing them to have their cake and eat it too.

As users, we constantly complain about not wanting to upgrade our systems, and complaining that the newer graphics of Aces High could not run on systems that previously could run it.  Since HTC worked out the bugs in that, the opposite was true.  Turning off all the eye-candy actually allowed for better playability on dated systems.  This is just another example of that.  Also, for those of us who DO choose to upgrade, we are 'rewarded' with extra eye-candy (and soon to come ear-candy) to further enhance our gaming experiences here.

Now, HTC has been kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.  It is increasingly difficult to recruit new paying subscribers with graphics and sounds that could be considered 'inferior' to competing software.  It is ALSO increasingly difficult to support legacy systems that many of our veteran players use, and if they are confronted with the options of either upgrading or quitting, many would probably choose to quit.  I for one can't blame them because if they have a computer that is capable of everything else they want to use it for then it doesn't seem fair to me to ask them to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to upgrade just so they can play one single game.

This is what impresses me most about HTC.  I believe you'll find that (aside from the bugs that are being ironed out) AHII is probably the single most EFFICIENT software out there right now... ESPECIALLY when it comes to games!  HT and the crew (kudos to all of you by the way) know how to crank every bit of horsepower out of every cubic centimeter of every piston of their game engine and because of this you have a lean, mean, dogfighting game machine!

While the inital 'test' of Miles may have been a bit of a flop, I have nothing but the utmost confidence that HTC will get it going and we'll all be 'ooohs and aaahs' when it's finally completed.  Aside from the Vox issues, I found the sounds being produced by their Miles setup to be absolutely stunning.  Even though the game sounds hadn't changed, they seemed more robust, more clear, and more detailed with patch 0.  I nearly wept! (until I hit Vox and my game crashed LOL).  When patch 1 came out which reverted back to the old sound system, the VERY FIRST thing I noticed was how poor the sounds were again.  Not poor so much that it sounded bad, but compared to the Patch 0 sounds... well.. it sucks!

Offline avionix

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 03:44:18 PM »
2 weeks.   :D
treekilr in game.   
"Please. This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
Here everything you didn't want to know about the Miles sound system. It's pretty sweet. After HiTech works out the bugs it's gonna be great.

http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
Advantages of miles.

1. Better codec for vox.
2. A clearer sound mixer with the ability to easily choose multiple devices and surround sound settings.
3. Round 2 of implantation will be environmental sounds, things like random sounds in tower, hanger different terrain areas.
4. The ability to ship mp3 sounds embedded in our resource files. This will allow us to do back ground music. Most licensing of mp3 music requires you do not ship it in a stand alone file.
5. We will be able to ship in blink format allowing better compression in distribution with faster decodes.

Round one is just to get the prim system stable like our previous system. Yesterday I fixed one of the voice bugs that was causing the echo probems, but there is still a bug in the microphone side, so we backed out until I have a chance to get to that. Right now are bigger fires to put out. We most likly will be working tomorrow. Also dang power has been out all day here so we are on generators.

HiTech

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »
Also dang power has been out all day here so we are on generators.

HiTech

Yea, yall been getting hit with nasty weather.  I can only imagine the size of your backup power system  :O

Currently 62 F, sunny, light breeze (& no humidity), with abount 19 hours of daylight..............winter is finally over in Fairbanks........... :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

All your hard work is appreciated HTC  <S>

<S>
Rokit

(edit)  PS: BTW, how many Miles do we get when we start using the new system?  :huh
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:39:49 PM by SWrokit »
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx

Offline doleboy

• Copper Member
      • mushrooms
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »

Blah blah blah...
HiTech

Let us have the proper individual sounds for each plane/vehicle then!!!!
 :bolt:
We shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 05:39:39 PM »
Yea, yall been getting hit with nasty weather.  I can only imagine the size of your backup power system  :O

Sudz & Waffle in a threadmill...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:44:06 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SWrokit

• Nickel Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com/index.php
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 05:42:06 PM »

Sudz & Waffle in a threadmill...

LMAO  :rofl  Have picture both running after donut hanging from string.......just out of reach  :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

<S>
Rokit
SWrokit; CO~125th Spartans

RIP.......SWfire, SWmac, GMC, SWonyx