Author Topic: Ok whats the best VidCard  (Read 940 times)

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
Ok whats the best VidCard
« on: October 06, 2001, 06:10:00 PM »
I would like to know what you think the best VidCard is. PRICE IS IRELEVANT. I intend on buying a prepackaged high end gaming system from Gateway, Dell, or Sony. The main games i play are Aces High DUH!, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear/Urban Operations/(Comming soon)Black Thorn, FS2K(FS2K2 soon), and CFS2, Age of Sail, and Fighting Steel.

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2001, 06:17:00 PM »
Check anandtech.com I saw a review of the new Geforce Cards released lastweek.

Looks like the Geforce3 Ti 500 might be what your looking for, although not THAT much better than a  stanard Geforce 3.

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
I heard some mighty good reviews on the new ATI RADEON 8500

Offline Oosik

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2001, 10:35:00 PM »
Hobodog - Gateway/Dell/Sony Make Ok genric computers, if you want a premade system try a company that specilizes in them.   IMHO Falcon Northwest and Alienware are the two best gaming computer systems, I went with Alienware because they were rated better in tech support.  Note I'm note the geek that Bloom & others are (wish I was) or I would have tried to build one myself.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2001, 12:10:00 AM »
if you cant build them yourself, go to alienware.com and pay the extra cash

TRUST ME, you will wish you had if you get a dell or gateway.

alienwares are WAY ahead of those toejamty big companies. and they will put in the video card you want.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2001, 01:49:00 AM »
The new radeons. Heard they o/c faster than gf3 already.

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2001, 06:43:00 AM »
Find a local company to make a system to your specs or go thru Falcon or Alienware.   The Big prebuild companies make a mass produced machine that skimps in some areas in order to keep the price down.  Support from the big companies is not alway top notch, in fact, support services are the first thing cut during these tough economic times.
  Alienware and falcon use top end name brand parts threw out there machines. because of this you are going to pay more , but you are going to get a much better built and faster machine.   I'm sure you can find a local company that will build you a system to your specs that can compete with the Alienware and Falcon machines at about the same prices.   You have lots of options in front of you.  I hope you don't buy a Dell or a Gateway and expect a top notch gameing machine.  It's not gong to happen.

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Best video card is pretty subjective.  All current video cards have areas of performance that differentiate themselves from each other.
The GF2/GF3 cards are really good for some games and only okay for others.  The ATI Radeon and Radeon 8500 are also good for some and not others.
How much do you want to spend?

On the upper end you have the GF3 and ATI Radeon 8500 cards.  Neither is bad, but it appears the 8500 has leaped the GF3 in terms of features.  ATI cards also have a tendency to have a better overall display than the GF cards, but that is also subject to opinion.
No matter which card you get, I would recommend staying with at least a 64MB video card, if you do not want to be buying another video card in less than a year.

Hope that helps.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline jpeg

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.steveo.us
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2001, 12:44:00 PM »
DO NOT buy from Gateway. We use to have a contract from Gateway to provide computers at my work .. they are crap.

If you must buy from one of the above companies then buy from Dell  otherwise build your own or as someone else sugested go with Alienware