Author Topic: Ditch my ATI Rage for a GeoForce ????  (Read 656 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Ditch my ATI Rage for a GeoForce ????
« on: August 17, 2000, 04:26:00 AM »
I've not got toooo bad of a system (Celeron 500, 128Mb RAM, 440Bx board etc) but I can't seem to get sensible frame rates for the hardware I've got IMO and I tend to think it's the ATI Rage128 Xpert graphics card is the culprit. I can get 40-45 fps absolute tops and usually 20-30 and this is running at 800 X 600 16 bit.

Is it worth changing to a Geoforce based card ??- don't want to spend that kind of money unless it will improve things a lot.

Other thoughts were trying to clock my Celeron by upping bus speed but my board won't let me do it.

Ideas anyone??

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2000, 08:26:00 AM »
 I have a PII 333mhz and I'm using a Diamond Viper V770 Ultra (AGP) for mid 30's to mid 40's FPS in 1280X1024 and 32 bit mode.
 I would say a good vid-card upgrade would definately help you.

-Westy

Offline sparkzz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2000, 09:19:00 PM »
A video card upgrade would definitely help your frame rates.  I would recommend the Geforce2 MX cards though over the GTS cards for your particular setup.  Your cel 500 will come up a little short of maxing out the GTS cards so the performance will be about the same as the MX cards, the MXs are about $120+ cheaper than the GTS cards.  

Also I wouldnt really bother trying to overclock your cel 500.  Its pretty much maxed out already.  Most people never broke the 550 mark with the celerons so your gains wouldnt be that significant and not worth the money to upgrade your equipment to get there.  You'd be better off going after one of the newer cpu chips.

On a final note.. I really like your name.  
Sparkzz

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2000, 03:36:00 AM »
Yeh, like the celeronII 566  

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime