Author Topic: Patcher fails to close on Win7  (Read 776 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Patcher fails to close on Win7
« on: May 15, 2010, 02:58:32 PM »
The patch applications have all failed to close after finishing patching the game on my copy of Windows 7. They sit in memory (using about 4000k) until forced out by the Task Manager or the computer restarts.

DxDiag
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Patcher fails to close on Win7
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:13:16 PM »
Hrmm... no problems here using 7 home premium 64 bit...

<shrug>

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Windows 7 Ultimate 64, here

all patches have worked without issue

all new versions have worked without issue ( since last May of last year 2009)

as far as loading up / installing / patching / updating correctly.......

OOZ662,
your problem sounds like something I had posted regarding Windows 7 on some systems hanging programs / or using memory / or possible memory leak  ( posted in the Hardware  & Software Forum about it awhile back )

possibly........ might be something else all together.....  sorry can't offer you anymore than that  :(
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 09:55:27 PM »
This install does hang programs quite often (notably Steam and another I don't remember atm), but the patcher always hangs. Everything installs fine and it's "invisible," but the process is still there. I'll see if I can find your thread later.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 05:41:49 PM »
I know several times when I have updated mine the system will kick back a message window saying it did not install correctly asking if I want to re-install. Are you sure it is not that message that you see hanging up? :salute

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 05:45:51 PM »
Are you sure it is not that message that you see hanging up? :salute

It is the message, and it occurs when I force the installer to close with the Task Manager.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 12:16:23 AM »
Most of the time I will just choose No and leave it as it doesn't seem to have any issues. It may have something to do with the game directory not installing to the Program files folder, but not real sure. It is definately a Windows 7 issue though. :salute

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »
It may have something to do with the game directory not installing to the Program files folder, but not real sure.

I do have it installed to Program Files, but have it set to run as Administrator (which is what installing it elsewhere circumvents).

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
I do have it installed to Program Files, but have it set to run as Administrator (which is what installing it elsewhere circumvents).
I think the whole point of it not installing in the Program Files is so that there isn't any problems... Have you tried not installing it in Program Files and just letting it do the default?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
I think the whole point of it not installing in the Program Files is so that there isn't any problems...

The reason for installing it outside of Program Files is to fool the operating system. Windows Vista and 7 require a program to run under the Administrator account in order to create files in the directory the program expects. The average user that doesn't figure that out will start screaming to Skuzzy when the game's preferences, screenshots, and films don't save properly, so they moved it. I run Aces High as Administrator, thereby getting rid of that problem.

Now, question is, does the installer run as Administrator? It prompts asking if it should be allowed to make changes to the computer, but that may not be running on an Administrative level. I'll try running the patch manually as an Administrator next time.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
I get the same thing, OOZ.  W7 with game installed outside Program Files (Default and I try not to install games there), and the patcher is finished yet shows a process running for every patch installed until closed or computer restart.  It does it during auto and manual installations.  I have every annoying W7 "security" feature turned off (unless it's tied to Anti-virus protection) and everything is run as administrator so I'm not sure what causes it.  But you aren't alone. :)

Nice Lappy name too, what's next Compy Compe? :P
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
Nice Lappy name too, what's next Compy Compe? :P

When I get another desktop. :D This is the one I've had for five or six...maybe seven years. I've lost track.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 08:05:10 PM »
Manually ran the newest patch as Administrator. Same thing.