Author Topic: I hope that this ? belongs here....  (Read 475 times)

Offline Airwolf

• Copper Member
I hope that this ? belongs here....
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:16:26 PM »
When using the 5" guns, I know that they have a proximity fuse...But at what distance from the plane do the shells explode?...(I take it that shells explode when close to a plane)....

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: I hope that this ? belongs here....
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »
I don't know the range, but it is fairly distant.  At least 10-15 yards.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:17:39 PM »
Im not sure how it works in the game precisely but the shells in the war were designed to detect closing distances and to explode once optimum range is reached but also to explode if the range begins to increase again (depending on the fusing and here I am talking about the Crosley fusing of 1943).

The Crosley fuse was produced from 1941 until at least 1946. It included miniature vacuum type tubes that made up the circuit and were designed to withstand 20000 Gs (yes thats twenty-thousand) and 25000 rpm. The fuse had to withstand the force of tremendous acceleration (which also arms the fuze in order to protect shell handlers) and still be able to determine closing rates while also self-destructing after a predetermined interval (to prevent examination by the enemy). Secret developments were IFF capabilities and miniaturization to the point fusing could be used in 50-caliber ammunition (determined to be of no value). Crosley manufactured about 1/4 of all fuses used during the war and the most effective against V-1s (at least according to Churchill).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 06:45:11 AM »
Its been my experience that if they are close enough to explode they will do damage.

Some planes may take 2 hits, especially if one of them was not particularly close.

Very seldom I've ever seen a single plane take 3.