Author Topic: German Secret Weapons  (Read 2002 times)

Offline PanosGR

• Nickel Member
Re: German Secret Weapons
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 05:44:54 AM »
Agree with infidelz He-162 is an intresting addition

Offline pwnorris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »
I can see why the Germans had so much trouble bringing their ideas to completion.  :huh  They spent too much of their limited resources on all of these projects.  It apparently didn't occur to Hitles and Spear to limit their attention on those that offered the best chances of success. :rolleyes:

No wonder that the ME-163 and 262 were the only manned "miracle" aircraft to reach combat. :joystick:

Offline jay

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 11:59:26 PM »
ALOT of those pictures were fake i mean ALOT but the Heinkel He162 "salamander" isnt really a "secret weapon"

it never seen service but was studied by the RAF after the war

EDIT: and also no mention of the "Die Glocke"?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:02:42 AM by jay »
"He who makes a beast of himself Gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr.Johnson

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 01:36:47 AM »
I can see why the Germans had so much trouble bringing their ideas to completion.  :huh  They spent too much of their limited resources on all of these projects.  It apparently didn't occur to Hitles and Spear to limit their attention on those that offered the best chances of success. :rolleyes:

No wonder that the ME-163 and 262 were the only manned "miracle" aircraft to reach combat. :joystick:

Remember, Hitler wasn't interested in defensive weapons.  That was a sign of defeat.  He wanted offensive weapons, bombers, to attack England and Russia with.  For instance, requiring the Me262 to be able to carry bombs delayed it's introduction as a pure fighter.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Avanti

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2010, 02:17:39 AM »
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/06/090625-hitlers-stealth-fighter-plane.html

this was a prototype that actually took flight but was too late to see action

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:26:52 AM by Avanti »

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2010, 05:38:02 AM »
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »
ALOT of those pictures were fake i mean ALOT but the Heinkel He162 "salamander" isnt really a "secret weapon"

it never seen service but was studied by the RAF after the war

EDIT: and also no mention of the "Die Glocke"?

A sole Group became operational, equiped with about 30 He 162, the I./JG1 was based in Leck near the Danish border during the closing days of the war, from April 16 to May 8 1945. The airplanes belonging to the Group were involved in some fights such as the loss of Feldwebel Kirchner flying "yellow 2". An other loss happened on April 26 1945, Unteroffizier Rechenbach was shot down above Keck during a fight against a Spitfire.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »
For instance, requiring the Me262 to be able to carry bombs delayed it's introduction as a pure fighter.

wrongway

Another of those WW2 myths.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
Was an excuse at the time. That way Hitler could not frame anyone on the delay, since he ordered the modification himself.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 01:55:59 PM »
Another of those WW2 myths.
Was an excuse at the time. That way Hitler could not frame anyone on the delay, since he ordered the modification himself.

Pretty prevalent myth then.

:salute

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
In January 1945, the Luftwaffe formed an Erprobungskommando 162 ("Test Unit 162") evaluation group to which the first 46 aircraft were delivered. The group was based at the Luftwaffe test center at Rechlin ....  February saw deliveries of the He 162 to its first operational unit, I./JG 1 (1st Group of Jagdgeschwader 1 - "1st Fighter Wing"), which had previously flown the Focke-Wulf Fw 190A.

'The He 162 finally saw combat in mid-April. On 19 April, a captured Royal Air Force fighter pilot informed his German interrogators that he had been shot down by a jet fighter matching the description of the He 162. The Heinkel and its pilot were lost as well, shot down by an RAF Hawker Tempest while on approach. Though still in training, I./JG 1 had scored a number of kills beginning in mid-April, but had also lost 13 He 162s and 10 pilots. 10 of the aircraft were operational losses, caused by flameouts and sporadic structural failures. Only two of the 13 aircraft were actually shot down. The He 162's 30-minute fuel capacity also caused problems, as at least two of JG 1's pilots were killed attempting emergency landings after exhausting their fuel.'

Ripped from WIKI.

So its probably all fabricated nonsense. or should we get one in game?
Whether or not its production numbers or wartime service warrants its addition, the He 162 was a pile of trash and probably would barely warrant a perk price.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »
Pretty prevalent myth then.

:salute

wrongway

Exactly:
"WHY DO VE NO HAVE ZE 262 NOW???"
"mein fuhrer, it vas you zat commanded time consuming modifications"
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 10:57:20 AM »

Performance 162
Maximum speed: 905 km/h (562 mph)
Range: 975 km (606 mi)
Service ceiling: 12,000 m (39,400 ft)
Rate of climb: 1,405 m/min (4,615 ft/min)
Armament: Guns: 2 × 20 mm MG 151 cannons with 120 rpg (He 162 A-2)

Performance 262
Maximum speed: 900 km/h (559 mph)
Range: 1,050 km (652 mi)
Service ceiling: 11,450 m (37,565 ft)
Rate of climb: 1,200 m/min (At max weight of 7,130 kg) (3,900 ft/min)
Thrust/weight: 0.28
Armament: Guns: 4 × 30 mm MK 108 cannons (A-2a: two cannons)
------------------------------------------------------------------

Except for armament it appears to be in similar performance class as 262.  Does pile of trash refer to production quality or did I miss something?

Just curious.

Infidelz

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
Except for armament it appears to be in similar performance class as 262.  Does pile of trash refer to production quality or did I miss something?

Just curious.

Infidelz
Let's put it this way; I'd rather not fly a jet fighter made primarily of plywood.
As Galland said of the Volksjäger, the only advantage it had over the Me 262 was that you could not strap a bomb to it and call it a Blitzbomber.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 12:46:30 PM »

Just curious.

Infidelz
Let's put it this way; I'd rather not fly a jet fighter made primarily of plywood.
As Galland said of the Volksjäger, the only advantage it had over the Me 262 was that you could not strap a bomb to it and call it a Blitzbomber.