Author Topic: Seeking opinions on Saitek X36 USB combo  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Seeking opinions on Saitek X36 USB combo
« on: August 20, 2000, 03:39:00 AM »
Well, its nearly time for me to be thinking about upgrading my controllers.

I've been considering the Saitek X36 USB combo ... perhaps pairing it with the CH USB Pro Pedals.

Now, a few years ago just mentioning the X36 on a certain BBS brought down howls of derision ... crappy pots, bad drivers etc.

How's the situation now?  Any good, or bad experiences anyone would care to share?

------------------
C.O. Phoenix Squadron
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
Aces High Training Corps

Nath-BDP

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2000, 04:06:00 AM »
I use a Saitek Cyborg 3d which is real smooth, I don't see a need for rudder pedals if i have rudder on joystick twist axis.

Offline blitz

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2000, 06:28:00 AM »
Hi jekyll,

i know that Kirin, one of my former squad mates owns a saitek USB combo for about 2 month now. Maybe you can contact him online to get some information.

blitz

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
I use one now it is very stable, once you figure out what to do its very easy to program also. It can be used with analog pedals as well. I use CH pedals (non usb).
 My wingies use it also jackel and wildone.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
Indians Home page were links to help pages can be found.
Indian's Homepage

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2000, 10:46:00 AM »
I switched from an old somewhat worn set of Thrustmaster F22 Pro, Tqs throttle, and rudder pedals to this new USB x36 combo Saitek throttle, stick,, and even the CH USB Pro Pedals you mentioned. As a result I left a stick set up with numerous button options and hats.

Originally I purchased it as the only USB set up available until CH products would release their USB equipment, but I was very surprised to find this Saitek x36 combo to be superior to my old Thrustmaster. It's smooth as silk, easy to program, has more button/hat options than you can find commands for, has an excellent feel in the hand, and has just the right amount of spring action.

Make sure you absolutely get the USB version. All the problems you heard about on bulletin boards were related to the old analog version. It's automatically calibrated everytime you boot up, and I haven't had any spiking at all. With Thrustmaster I used to have to set dead bands and dampers fairly high. I have my dampers set to zero with this Saitek, and my dead bands are barely off the bottom of the slider.

As for the rudder pedals I could barely take off in an F4u with my old Thrustmaster pedals. I had to have damping turned up, and a fairly good dead band which cuts down on the accuracy of your control. With the new CH USB Pro Pedals I have damping all the way off and only a small dead band. I can put the calibration cursor exactly where I want on the chart very quickly.

This is an excellent combination, and the only fully programmable set of Throttle/Stick and Rudders on the market. The current CH USB stick lacks enough programmable buttons/hats.

I have nothing negative to report about this combination, and it is very easy to set up with Aces High. The product will indicate that it does not work with stand alone rudder pedals, but it does in Aces High.

If you make the right choice and get this product feel free to download my Saitek Profile offered on the downloads page. It was given a lot of testing and thought, and it will get you started quickly. If you need help setting it up in Aces High with rudder pedals let me know. It's very easy, and I believe the read me file attached to the downloadable profile explains how.

Good Luck,

Ranger Bob

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2000, 08:41:00 PM »
Salute Jekyll

The X36 Combo is about the best thing that ever happened to me in regard of flying sims. It's a fine piece of work. The stick absolutely smooth and very, very excact. Lots of buttons to use and 2 coolies. The force is almost perfect. Not too hard, but strong enough to allow small, excact inputs. Although it is made for rather big hands. Otherwise you have to change handposition to get all functions. The Throttle is a beauty and very functional. Lots of buttons and dials also. Only problem with is that you cannot fixate one position freely - like 40% thrust. You have to keep your hand on it to maintain a constant value different from O or 100%. The only drawback of the combo: rudders - it's a small rocker switch on the frontside of the throttle - it needs a lot of force (for fingers) to move and thus does not allow fine input. It takes a long time to get used to it. The programming software is easy as can be and USB port makes connection a piece of cake.

4am here - forgive my spelling.. soo tired going to bed..

hope I helped ya

Kirin
Real men fly Radial!

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2000, 09:57:00 PM »
I got the X36 flight system with CH Pro Pedals USB. I've very happy with them.

Kirin, what are you talking about? You can adjust the stiffness of the throttle so it stays in any position. Mine works fine, I can put it at any setting (any pressure of the manifold I want) and leave it alone.

I was a little disappointed though that it doesn't have indented positions for 25%, 50% and 75% throttle like other throttles, but it's no big deal.

BTW I'm trying to get used to the rudders rocker for WB (which doesn't recognize my rudder pedals), and I have a hard time. Not because it's hard to control, but because of the way the throttle rotates around an axis (instead of sliding), so when it's at 100% the wrist gets bent and it causes me discomfort to use, and after a while, pain (I got carpal tunnel syndrome).

Bah, I'm probably going to drop WB anyway.

I definitely recommend rudder pedals.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2000, 03:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I just want to confirm that the Saitek USB set you are talking about is identical with the ones described on the following page:
 http://store.yahoo.com/fsc/saitx36consy.html

They are described as being both USB and gameport compatible.

Jekyll

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2000, 03:38:00 AM »
Thats right Jekyll: the USB has optional gameport.
Other than that I can sing the same song: good stick, lots of buttons ect, nice programming facilities (though not easy to start with for dweebs like me: go http://www.saitekhelp.com/).
Im not wildly impressed by the ergonomics of the throttle.A couple of small buttons here can be hard to hit correctly in the heat of battle, so programmimg has to be done with care.
The rudder function takes time to learn.Further more I come as a long time Sidewinder man (wrist rudder), so I have to "think" rudder in a new way.Gunnery down from .11 to sub .5 area ugh!Have had it (in effect) 1.5 months now and I begin to feel comfortable.But I recon at least 1 more month before things begin to flow - still Im a notorious slow learner ;=)

Summa Summarum: recommended.

danish

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2000, 06:24:00 AM »
Oh, and one final question  

Can anyone recommend a good online store for purchasing both the X36 combo and the CH Pro Pedals?

Chips n Bits currently have the X36 on back order, but they don't even list the CH Pro Pedals.  Flight Sim Central have the Pro Pedals, but have apparently never heard of the Saitek combo.

Since I live in Australia, shipping will be a major cost component, and I'd prefer to buy the lot from one supplier rather than pay two hefty postage bills.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Jekyll:
Flight Sim Central have the Pro Pedals, but have apparently never heard of the Saitek combo.

Eh?  They do have it. Look here.

They will tell you that the X36 flight control system is not compatible with rudder pedals, and ask you if you still want to order them with CH Pro Pedals. What they mean by that is that the USB version of the X36 can't recognize rudder pedals from another maker as its own. The previous gameport version could, I gathered, and the Saitek software could control the external rudder pedals. Not anymore, not with the USB version.

What that means is that you will be able to use both the X36 and the CH Pro Pedals USB at the same time with a very limited number of games, including AH and MS Flight Simulator 2000. They won't work together with WarBirds, Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator, Janes' WWII Fighters or EA European Air War simply because those games don't recognize multiple controllers.

I almost bought my gear at Flight Sim Central, but I finally found two Canadian online stores that sell those items. (Shipping cost from US to Canada is really too high, we're on the same damn continent dang it!)

Saitek Help Center lists Harris Technologies from Sydney as selling the X36, and they appear to have it in stock (they got less than 10 though). ("Saitek X36 Flight And Throttle Controller Bundle USB" should be the one you want.)

Before ordering the pedals offshore, try to find some Australian online store that has them. I bet you'll find stores you never knew existed.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF [WB]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)