Author Topic: HiTech, your thoughs about removing Titanic Tuesday...  (Read 8600 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: HiTech, your thoughs about removing Titanic Tuesday...
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »
Horse to water...............   :salute

My response you quoted was to ZetaNine.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
My response you quoted was to ZetaNine.

Sorry Skuzzy, couldn't tell because it wasn't quoted. 

But I would like to point out that I was correct! Your reply made no sense in response to my post.  :D
Who is John Galt?

Offline A8EJay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »
And this is why I would never run a poll on these type of topics.

What if larger arena's promote more of this type behavior. We have a man who will leave even though he does not see that the larger arena is creating the reason he is leaving.

The key to this is give people what they want, not what they ask for, because most often they are 2 very different things.

HiTech

It made me WANT to quit WHEN I FIRST STARTED.  Just because its not as large of an arena dosen't mean  there wont be a wise guys in there anyway.   Dosent bother me anymore, just frustraing when ur a noob.  Only thing that would make me quit is not being able to find a fight when a large map is capped at 150.  Oh, and i didnt ask for anything, just commented on your cap idea.  Guess you can run your poll..... :aok

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #168 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »
HiTech, this may be a silly and a completely infeasible idea but have you ever thought about setting maps up to have bases and zones that can be 'deactivated' or 'off limits' if the numbers in the arena aren't adequate, therefore condensing the action into a smaller region?   Once the numbers get past the 'breaking point' more zones/bases are unlocked for use.  Would help when the caps initiate in the small numbered arena (usually blue).  Just a thought.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
HiTech, this may be a silly and a completely infeasible idea but have you ever thought about setting maps up to have bases and zones that can be 'deactivated' or 'off limits' if the numbers in the arena aren't adequate, therefore condensing the action into a smaller region?   Once the numbers get past the 'breaking point' more zones/bases are unlocked for use.  Would help when the caps initiate in the small numbered arena (usually blue).  Just a thought.
Woooot linked base capture system :aok :aok :aok :aok.

:noid
See Rule #4

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2010, 04:59:30 PM »
The only way a "New Players Arena" could possibly help new players would be if it made the training arena redundant.
The newbie arena would be different because there real action and competition in it, the training arena doesn't.

[Disclamer] My suggestion adresses only my thoughts on New player retention. Not all retention of all players. It is not related or in conflict, or a counterpoint to split arenas.

This game is very very difficult to play. Having some measure of success at playing it is a big motivating factor, and at some point required for the person to stay on. The key question is whether they will get frustrated before they get good.  I'm suggesting that throwing them in with the experts may increase the rate at which they learn [good thing], but it may increase the rate at which they get frustrated much faster[bad thing].  

In the training arena there's no plane damage, no score and no combat unless you arrange it with someone. It's great for Training, but that's not the same a plying so it's less fun. The success is missing.
In the Da you're back in with experts wiping the floor with you. Agian no success.

In a nubie arena is real combat like the MA but with new pilots, so when I guy gets on your six...guess what he might miss and you might live long enough to figure out how to turn the tables....where of course you will miss, at least for a while.  :aok

As for it being only Nubie...not so. There are plenty or great folks in the AH community that teach as well as they fly. As a first cut I'd set it up like this....

Three air fields [Knit, Bish, Rook] in a small triangle like WWI
Admission would be based on the following criteria
1) flight time in hours
2) K/D
3) hit percentage
4) total kills
5) sorties landed
6) crashes that are not due to plane damage
7) damage points.

These criteria would be added up to a total score. There would be two score criteria, one based on MA scores that you would be required to be below to get in to the newbie arena, and One based on Newbie arena scores that would get you locked out. [limits to be determined by analysis of current and future new player data.]
Once you qualify out of the Newbie arena, there's no going back.
If you haven't qualified out, and your score is low enough in the MA you can get access until you qualify out.
Anyone can fly in the MA anytime they want.
Veteran players intersted in flying in the Newbie arena for the purpose of mentoring and adding experience to the mix could sign up for access. Their access would be granted and monitored based on behavior. There's hundreds of folks I reccommend. Sorry, Kazaa you and your Tempy of death are not allowed. Nor would I [swear to much, especially when the newbs started killing me in big numbers] But the folks that run the scenarios, Delirium, Dedalos, Betty, and many many others that always fly with no drama, and are quick to lend advice and helping hand would be the model.
Access to Newbie arena controlled by score criteria, and special access as described above.

If I recall Snailmans data properly, a 1.0 K/d is top 25%. That indicates a very right shifted success distribution. The bottom 25% was marked by a K/D of [aprox] 0.1 or something very low. An analysis of the kills/sortie, points/sortie, etc versus retention and subscription length would reveal if folks were quitting because they were getting hammered. In other words Time-to-frustration < Time-to-success. I don't have access to that data so I can't know if this a problem.

From my experience, I think it might be. If so I think an arena where you have a chance at success while learning would help in "new" player retention.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:11:53 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #171 on: May 25, 2010, 05:00:03 PM »
It made me WANT to quit WHEN I FIRST STARTED.  Just because its not as large of an arena dosen't mean  there wont be a wise guys in there anyway.   Dosent bother me anymore, just frustraing when ur a noob.  Only thing that would make me quit is not being able to find a fight when a large map is capped at 150.  Oh, and i didnt ask for anything, just commented on your cap idea.  Guess you can run your poll..... :aok

I rest my case about not running a poll.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #172 on: May 25, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »
These criteria would be added up to a total score. There would be two score criteria, one based on MA scores that you would be required to be below to get in to the newbie arena, and One based on Newbie arena scores that would get you locked out. [limits to be determined by analysis of current and future new player data.]

Veteran players intersted in flying in the Newbie arena for the purpose of mentoring and adding experience to the mix could sign up for access. Their access would be granted and monitored based on behavior. There's hundreds of folks I reccommend. Sorry, Kazaa you and your Tempy of death are not allowed. Nor would I [swear to much, especially when the newbs started killing me in big numbers] But the folks that run the scenarios, Delirium, Dedalos, Betty, and many many others that always fly with no drama, and are quick to lend advice and helping hand would be the model.

From my experience, I think it might be. If so I think an arena where you have a chance at success while learning would help in "new" player retention.

I do this now in the MA's.   If someone has a question, I try my best to provide an answer, but another Arena is redundant. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline vafiii

• Copper Member
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:26 PM »
Like the idea! Take it one step further and have smaller maps with less bases. Let the battle begin!

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: May 25, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
I do this now in the MA's.   If someone has a question, I try my best to provide an answer, but another Arena is redundant. 

No it isn't. Read the whole post.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #175 on: May 25, 2010, 05:22:03 PM »
No it isn't. Read the whole post.

Honestly, another Arena with more "Score" is not needed.  Get rid of all scores.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline killrDan

• Copper Member
      • Rolling Thunder Website
« Reply #176 on: May 25, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
Wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see TT abolished and thrown into the abyss where it belongs   :devil 
THUNDER MOB - CO
Battle Over the Winter Line - II.SG4 GL

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #177 on: May 25, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »
Honestly, another Arena with more "Score" is not needed.  Get rid of all scores.  

I see your point on scores, but I think they're here to stay so I thought they would be the easiest [there may be better ways] way to gate access for the newbie arena.  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: May 25, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Like your Idea about the New guy arena first off. I started playing AH when I was 15 offline loved it, sucked at it, but wanted to learn. But unlike most of the kids who jump in the MA they dint know a B-17 from a 757. and the fact that they are usually decimated all the time, dosent help either. I got killed all the time but unlike the kids growing up today i had and still have an unusual amount of patience. even teaching two grown guys living with me here in the Barracks I told them to be ready for frustration before they got good/better. and now they are more than less decent pilots who will play for a while to come. Why not take one of the arenas not being used heavily right now like one of the ww1's? I like teaching the new guys when I get a chance and when they can sit still long enough to listen :D. Kids and sayin that I still am a kid at only 20, now a days kids arent brought up how they used to be and in order to keep up someone will have to adapt a plan to hang with them in order to retain as many as you can.

I do this now in the MA's.   If someone has a question, I try my best to provide an answer, but another Arena is redundant. 

Even Halo playing online before you can actually get into the serious online play your forced through a "Basic Training" until youve done well enough to be kicked out into the real fighting. Now Call of Duty has too picked this up. now its not without issues such as old dogs slipping in with new names or inviting older players to their matches and that will have to be monitored with to score system of course and it gives kids a goal to shoot for. Drives them I need to get better I need to get my score I want in the MA where the real game is played. I was lucky to grown ina house surrounded by books and models of a/c from all over so started the game with a great base knowledge but your average player is sorely lacking in this department and needs a bit of help. And you have a large pool of good and experienced players to choose from to fill this roll I myself would love to do this when time permits for me.
On the original topic for this TT is ok but not the best for me due to the map most of the time.but during the week being deployed in Germany, and Im sure the rest of the Europen players run into this wanting to get into a big fight then forced to chase down 20 guys in an arena built for many many more folks. and not only are you stuck in this arena with a few people but you may be their for a while then oh darn back to work. (playing over lunch). anyhow theres my two cents I now i dint see what goes on but here's what Im seein on my end thanks and yall have a nice day.  :airplane:
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
Baumer had a good idea. Don't ask me how to make it work. But looks good on paper.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,288469.15.html
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken