Author Topic: HiTech, your thoughs about removing Titanic Tuesday...  (Read 8716 times)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Re: HiTech, your thoughs about removing Titanic Tuesday...
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2010, 10:39:52 AM »
If you want to help, come up with a better way to implement the split arenas.  Keeping in mind the goal is to make sure they are all populated with enough players to make those arenas fun to play in.

Split into zones at same arena/map instead splitting into several arenas. Each zone could be capped the same way the arenas are now. After each sortie one could see if there is room at a particular zone where his buddies are. Limit the cesspool communication by allowing public comms only to the neighboring zones. If/when the chat is the problem, fix it. If the player numbers and massive fights are the problem, limit take-offs per time per airbase e.g. with dynamic fuel consumption from an airbase's reserves. Every plane taking off takes some of its fuel and it regenerates at some rate. I am sure there are still several approaches that have never been tried ;)

The problem with split arenas has always been wondering where one's buddies are and during more quiet hours, wondering where a decent fight might be. A large map with less than 100 players often offers far too many sight-seeing patrol flights.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2010, 10:50:12 AM »
That was a rib at "HiTec," not at you hehe :P

oh I see sorry  :uhoh

Blauk- That's thinking outside of the box and your onto something there.  Something like this has potential  :aok
The overall picture I see with your idea looks promising.  You would still be able to talk to your squaddie's reguardless what zone you are in and be able to check the caps of each zone without having to exit an arena.  Htc this needs looking at - great idea Blauk  :salute
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
Well now that I no why we have caps I think we should do 180 player set cap that wont fluctuate... Well maybe that will not work either because the eny could get out of control really fast...Unless there was a way to no before u log into the arena what country's were open..

Blue Arena.
bISH   60
Rooks 60
Nits   55

I am sure there are plenty of problems with that idea..
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #153 on: May 25, 2010, 10:59:32 AM »
If all the arenas are capped at 150, you will 2 players right away, me and my bro.  Not everyone likes small crowds in the arenas.  The only thing that made me want to quit when i first started is the attitude of some of the players on the game, just downright rude and dont yu dare ask for ANY kinda help when youyr new, all u get is ALT-F4 anwsers.   Not threating just saying.  And what exactly is the limit when things start to turn into a "cesspool"?  300? 400?

And this is why I would never run a poll on these type of topics.

The only thing that made me want to quit when i first started is the attitude of some of the players on the game, just downright rude and dont yu dare ask for ANY kinda help when youyr new, all u get is ALT-F4 anwsers.

What if larger arena's promote more of this type behavior. We have a man who will leave even though he does not see that the larger arena is creating the reason he is leaving.

The key to this is give people what they want, not what they ask for, because most often they are 2 very different things.

HiTech
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 11:28:51 AM by hitech »

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: May 25, 2010, 11:17:12 AM »
The key to this is give people what they want, not what they ask for, because most often they are 2 very different things.

This is the genius of Hitech.

Also, I like the idea of hiding the fact that there is a late war arena split. Automatically choosing which arena the player goes in and never showing him two arenas to choose from would end most of the rancor over this issue.

The biggest drawback to this idea is splitting squads up willy-nilly but there are ways around that.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2010, 11:24:03 AM »
This is the genius of Hitech.
Also, I like the idea of hiding the fact that there is a late war arena split. Automatically choosing which arena the player goes in and never showing him two arenas to choose from would end most of the rancor over this issue.
The biggest drawback to this idea is splitting squads up willy-nilly but there are ways around that.

Actually, if you read my logic path, it would avoid splitting up squads, as the first thing the "logic" would check for is which arena your squad is in, even before figuring out if you can be fit in that arena.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
Kite nice write up btw.

HiTech

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2010, 11:37:52 AM »
Knite man. Thats the most intricate and well thought up setup written so far :lol

no wonder why HiTech said good write up...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:51 AM »
I agree Knite nice write-up and thought out  :aok 
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
Actually, if you read my logic path, it would avoid splitting up squads, as the first thing the "logic" would check for is which arena your squad is in, even before figuring out if you can be fit in that arena.

I wasn't specifically commenting on your method of solving the issue splitting squadrons up. It appears to be a good solution. Basically I was just showing my agreement with your proposal for disguising the existence of split late war main arenas from the players.

The squadron issue would have to be addressed but only HTC can comment on the feasibility of any particular method of accomplishing that. I have no clue if the structure you propose is technically achievable in AH so I declined to comment. It wasn't a slight against you.

Hitech himself appears to like your writeup. It would be great if he took it and implemented it in two weeks. :)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2010, 02:04:02 PM »
For the reasons HiTech already listed, your idea will not work.  I will go further to add, when a returning player signs back up he is going to be stuck in the newbie arena and will promptly come to the board to complain about it.

You instantly create a hostile 'us' versus 'them' environment where the so-called 'pros' will complain about the 'newbies' entering the 'pro' arena.  This board would get really ugly.

Then add to the fact the new player will still not be getting any help, along with the fact they will be lunch meat for the so-called 'pros' when they are booted from the newbie arena to the 'expert' arena, they will quit.

Newbies do not know any better.  As an simple example, they will HO. They will get lambasted for it.  Most players will not offer to help them, as they do not see why they should waste their time.  To a point, they are correct.  However, that point means we lose a potential customer, not because the player does not want to get better.  They are just ignorant as to how to get better and the arena where they want to play is full of players who are there to play, not teach.

You cannot do something that drives a wedge into the community without having severe negative consequences.  We already have that, to a degree, from players who are country-centric thinkers.  We do not need to promote more cliques.

No offense, but you , like HiTech didn't read my post competely or correctly. <sigh>
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »
No offense, but you , like HiTech didn't read my post competely or correctly. <sigh>

The only way a "New Players Arena" could possibly help new players would be if it made the training arena redundant.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #162 on: May 25, 2010, 02:33:44 PM »
As an additional idea to Knite's idea, when arena caps are being approached, say 20-40 below cap, always put squadless people like myself in the lower population arena in order to increase the chance that spots for squad members to play with their friends are available.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #163 on: May 25, 2010, 02:38:37 PM »
As an additional idea to Knite's idea, when arena caps are being approached, say 20-40 below cap, always put squadless people like myself in the lower population arena in order to increase the chance that spots for squad members to play with their friends are available.

Ah, I see what you're sayin Karnak. Instead of the current system where it always puts people in Arena 1 as long as the "max cap" hasn't been reached, after the squad check, do a LOWER #s check, not just a max # check.

As in change this section :
Is customer in a squad?
     No. - Is Arena 1 > 125% of Arena 2? Y/N?
          Y - Is ENY of country attempting to be joined in Arena 2 > 5.0? Y/N?
                    Y - Prompt if customer wants stay with country, or change to another country (i.e. choose stay with country, or lower ENY)
                    N - Assign customer to Arena 2, standard Country
          N - Is ENY of Country attempting to be joined > 5.0? Y/N?
                    Y - Prompt if customer wants stay with country, or change to another country (i.e. choose stay with country, or lower ENY)
                    N - Assign customer to Arena 1, standard Country
To
Is customer in a squad?
     No. - Choose lower populated arena
           Is ENY of Country attempting to be joined > 5.0? Y/N?
                    N - Assign customer to Arena 1, standard Country

?

P.S. Thanks for the kind words on my thought. Sorry Dawger, was just trying to be sure if I was or wasn't being clear. =)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:41:03 PM by Knite »
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2010, 02:42:29 PM »

My response you quoted was to ZetaNine.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com