Author Topic: HiTech, your thoughs about removing Titanic Tuesday...  (Read 8736 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: HiTech, your thoughs about removing Titanic Tuesday...
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
Vink wrote:

I wasn't trying to. I think crowds are great. I think I was solving the problem of retaining new players because it was suggested that you implemented the split MA policy because of the environment that crowds have on new players. If you are saying that crowds just plain ruin game play, it has not been explained, by you, why that is.
we have explained it many many times, go do some research because even if we explain it again you still will not believe the simple facts.

More people have fun, HTC makes more money.

When I have a choice of creating more fun or not, what do you believe I will always choose.

Is it possible I put my money where my mouth is when I do research on arena changes and the effect of that arena change along with all other things we do?

HiTech

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2010, 04:03:22 PM »
there is a point at which how many players are  in one arena starts making the game play less fun.

HiTech, can we agree that this *point* in which the game play starts to decline varies based on map size?  If we can agree on that, then shouldn't there be an emphasis placed on which maps are in play?  When there are two giant maps in each orange and blue where each has more bases than players, game play "fun factor" has not hit the minimum in either arena.

I've said this before (Along with many others) and I'll say it again, the simplest thing, which puzzles me why it hasn't been implemented yet, is always having a 'small' map in blue.  Not only does this give players the choice of if they want to play on a small map or a large one, it also allows Blue to achieve a fun atmosphere without a very large player demand.

If I am incorrect in this assessment and am missing a key point, I am all ears, but have yet to hear a reason why this would be a bad idea.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2010, 04:14:55 PM »
HiTech, can we agree that this *point* in which the game play starts to decline varies based on map size?  If we can agree on that, then shouldn't there be an emphasis placed on which maps are in play?  When there are two giant maps in each orange and blue where each has more bases than players, game play "fun factor" has not hit the minimum in either arena.

I've said this before (Along with many others) and I'll say it again, the simplest thing, which puzzles me why it hasn't been implemented yet, is always having a 'small' map in blue.  Not only does this give players the choice of if they want to play on a small map or a large one, it also allows Blue to achieve a fun atmosphere without a very large player demand.

If I am incorrect in this assessment and am missing a key point, I am all ears, but have yet to hear a reason why this would be a bad idea.

No it does not always make a difference on bigger maps. Past a certain point making maps bigger does not allow for more players.

First, we used to play only small maps, players asked to also have the bigger maps included,so now there is a mixture.

2nd it does not change the problem of people not being able to get into a full arena.

3d When 1 arena is a large map and the other is a small one (this currently happens) has it changed the issue in any way?

And multiple arenas is here to stay, the only issue is different ways to split the populations reasonably equaly. I may try just simple multiple arenas all at 150.
HiTech

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2010, 04:25:17 PM »
No it does not always make a difference on bigger maps. Past a certain point making maps bigger does not allow for more players.

I agree, however, it takes more players on the large maps, i.e., Ozkansas, trinity, compello(i believe), for there to be enough players to sustain a fun level of gameplay.

2nd it does not change the problem of people not being able to get into a full arena.

No it does not.  I think the Cap system you guys have developed is pretty good.  The pros outweigh the cons but there will always be whines.  I've suggested 3 things in the past and I will type them up again. 

1) A note on the startup screen next to the arenas that says something to the extent of "What are arena caps"?  Clicking on it will give the player a detailed explanation on the system so there is a better understanding.  That would cut the whines to a fraction right there. 

2) Caps times need to vary based on the time of week.  Week day cap initiation times should not be the same as weekend initiation times.  I can't say the exact times because I don't have the hard statistics, but generally speaking, weekday cap times should start a few hours later than they do currently, and weekend should start either slightly earlier or stay where they are at. 

3) Blue needs to be a small map.  The minimum number of players needed to sustain healthy play is always a small number on smaller maps, because the players won't be spread out as much.  It will be easier to find action.  If you combine this with more efficient cap times based on the time of week, you will have the blue arena fill up quicker AND to the point of 'minimum sustainability' that much quicker, hence minimizing the problem.

I may try just simple multiple arenas all at 150.
HiTech

Please don't.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »
HT I really Don't want to search through 8 pages, but what would be wrong with Kaz's idea for one arena over the weekend?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
There is a "New Player Arena". It's Fighter Town Lake in the DA.

You can tell FT graduates when they come into the MA's. Their best move is to HO and HO often. Pick and Pick often. Fly in packs and help make hoards. With time they assimilate into the MA culture and find a squad. But, the FT graduates do learn all the mechanics they need to function in the MA's. In FT everyone is good about answering questions along with developing their ch200 attitiude for the MA's. It's not the TA but, it's closer to the idea of AW's relaxed realism arena then you would think.

By hosting a forum so subscribers can whine or toss around game ideas HiTech is showing he's not blind to subscriber input and wants to keep abreast of the communities feelings. It's sad sometimes seeing that he and the HTC staff have to wear Mecha Armor and carry a power prod just to have civillised conversations with some of us.

We are very good at telling HiTech what he should do to make us happy campers. In most cases he would go broke if he tryed to COAD every whim that each of us can come up with. Especially with so many of us knowing how to A thru Z run a company and produce a product like his. Eventualy to impliment all of our whims he would have to put up as many arenas as there are players. How many of you really enjoyed playing in those hacked HtH free 8 man arenas run by sqweeker meglomaniacs? It's probably a good thing the arenas he makes available to us are the current product of his best work over the last 20 years.

Some of you spend so much time being unhappy with HiTech's work. Then there are players like Grizz who make lemonade with lemons then find players with Vodka to party. How many of you have ever asked HiTech "how can we help make this easier for you?"

HiTech common put up a 16 color arena with 2D terrain and permenant stall limiter. It's hard for these numpties to appreciate where they are if they have never experienced where it all came from...... :aok
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2010, 04:30:22 PM »
If the majority of players are heading to the more populated arena does it not seem like thats what the most players want. More players and not less to fly around with. They have a choice now to go to the less populated arenas and they do not.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »
HT I really Don't want to search through 8 pages, but what would be wrong with Kaz's idea for one arena over the weekend?

This wish seems counter intuitive to me.  If more players play on the weekends, then it would seem more logical to have two arenas open on Fri-Sun.  2 full arenas = more fun for all.  During the weekdays (less players), have one arena.

Sry Kazaa, I think you got it backwards but I like where your head's at.  :aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »
Hitech I was serious about a hard reset when caps change.

No more whines about 250/100.

Though whines about the daily boot will commence. :devil
See Rule #4

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2010, 04:37:54 PM »
If the majority of players are heading to the more populated arena does it not seem like thats what the most players want. More players and not less to fly around with. They have a choice now to go to the less populated arenas and they do not.

It's amazing to me that Hitech and company even take the time to reply.  It's been explained a thousand times.  They've done their research, been at this business far longer then any of the players, folks keep trying to tell them they have the wrong answer.

Just because sheep follow the flock off the cliff doesn't mean the shepherd  should drive them towards the cliff.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »
Given that greater mass communication in large arenas = greater tendency to cesspool

why not create a max range for channels like 200 such that it can be set under arena properties. Then from a coms (cesspool tendancy) point of view  a single large arena (always accessable to all) is split into smaller zones of mass communication with lower cesspool tendency.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2010, 04:43:19 PM »

I suppose it could go either way. More people in 1 arena could be more fun...usually more people means more squaddies on, and problems getting into the arena during the 'best' time to play, with squad members.

But I see the other way...more people, two arenas, less people, one arena.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2010, 04:49:42 PM »
It's amazing to me that Hitech and company even take the time to reply.  It's been explained a thousand times.  They've done their research, been at this business far longer then any of the players, folks keep trying to tell them they have the wrong answer.

Just because sheep follow the flock off the cliff doesn't mean the shepherd  should drive them towards the cliff.

I haven't told them how they should do anything just pointing something out. If they don't change the arenas it wont bother me.
It could be explained a million times it does not hurt to bring it up as a topic of discussion on a forum for general discussion.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Greg

• Zinc Member
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2010, 05:11:19 PM »
I love TT just the way it is now its the one day of the week I make shore I can play its also my squads, squad night. being a dedicated GVer I can almost always find a good fight during TT other days of the week not so much.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
I agree, however, it takes more players on the large maps, i.e., Ozkansas, trinity, compello(i believe), for there to be enough players to sustain a fun level of gameplay.

No it does not.  I think the Cap system you guys have developed is pretty good.  The pros outweigh the cons but there will always be whines.  I've suggested 3 things in the past and I will type them up again. 

1) A note on the startup screen next to the arenas that says something to the extent of "What are arena caps"?  Clicking on it will give the player a detailed explanation on the system so there is a better understanding.  That would cut the whines to a fraction right there. 

2) Caps times need to vary based on the time of week.  Week day cap initiation times should not be the same as weekend initiation times.  I can't say the exact times because I don't have the hard statistics, but generally speaking, weekday cap times should start a few hours later than they do currently, and weekend should start either slightly earlier or stay where they are at. 

3) Blue needs to be a small map.  The minimum number of players needed to sustain healthy play is always a small number on smaller maps, because the players won't be spread out as much.  It will be easier to find action.  If you combine this with more efficient cap times based on the time of week, you will have the blue arena fill up quicker AND to the point of 'minimum sustainability' that much quicker, hence minimizing the problem.

Please don't.

+1.  Items 1 and 2 I agree with and support as an improvement to my situation and the other players I regularly play with.  Item 3 I support but would like to argue that: a) Compared to the number of available/current large and medium-large maps in rotation, there are very few small or medium-small maps in the roation.  More smaller maps in the rotation I feel means more small maps will be randomly hosted instead of the larger variety we see more often. b) If smaller maps are actually in the rotation as much as the larger maps, then I'm (and many others) are not seeing it.  This either because they are hosted and then defeated/rotated very quickly or we just have bad luck.  If they are being hosted 1 for 1 with the larger maps, then I wholey agree that one arena should constantly host small maps so that way everyone has a chance to participate in them when they can.

Lastly, I want it stressed here as it has been brought up but I don't think everyone has let it sink in:  The "debate" on arena caps is more of a debate on "how many players is too many".  This varies from one players opinion to another, in addition to radicaly varying as we take into account map sizes and time of the day.  It's most likely an argument with no certain agreeable end, so if you can't think and contribute positively then please don't.

-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.