Author Topic: Tank Warz 5/28/10  (Read 3555 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tank Warz 5/28/10
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 11:30:19 PM »
Yea I want to get my squad over to the AvA and we can gv this setup looks nice but, will the planes be able to see gv icons?
No enemy icons. Makes the tanks hard to spot from the air...just little black dots until you get real close.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2010, 11:33:10 PM »
No enemy icons. Makes the tanks hard to spot from the air...just little black dots until you get real close.
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Awesome!

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 11:58:16 PM »
Yea I want to get my squad over to the AvA and we can gv this setup looks nice but, will the planes be able to see gv icons?

Heck yea I never go into the AVA but i'll be there for this one  :aok
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2010, 06:55:24 AM »
Cool.  Let's hear your alternate setup idea please (i.e. put up or shut up).  Maybe Dawger can help you out.  He's great at it.  Just ask him, he'll tell ya. :)

I think the AvA should have a scheduled rotation published in advance, not weekly ideas recycled randomly.

If this setup was run in February why is it already back in the rotation?

If I was going to create a schedule I would start with the terrains available, separate those into major combat theaters.

Then I would create setups for each theater that progressed from early war to late war.

Then I would create a schedule.

An example...... (Just an example for demonstration)

Four combat theaters with 4 terrains in each

Theaters are PTO, ETO, MED, CBI

Terrains for each theater would be North, South,East,West

Separate the war into four time periods Early, Early Mid, Late Mid, Late

Then just create an event for each combination and run them in a logical fashion.

Week 1 PTO North Early, Week 2 ETO South Early Mid, Week 3 MED East Late Mid, Week 4 CBI West Late
Week 5 PTO South Early Mid, Week 6 ETO East Late Mid, Week 7 MED West Late, Week 8 CBI North Early

In this example every theater would have 16 setups, four theaters would create 48 setups.

Of course real history doesn't fall into neat boxes. As an example a Guadalcanal terrain would only fit into a PTO Early Mid war slot. On the other hand a Europe terrain fits all time slots.

And I know there are tons of existing setups that could be plugged into a rotation like this. I've seen many in the AvA. There are lots of event setups that would be ideal for setups. There is a huge potential existing source for AvA setups.

Long before I sat down and wrote a setup from scratch I would gather as many of the existing setups as possible and use them as is or modify them as necessary to create a schedule that brought the AvA through all the major combat theaters and time periods. Then I would fill the holes in the schedule with newly designed setups, terrains etc.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:43 AM »
Dawger,

Maybe this will help, to fine tune the picture.  The 3 chess piece MA system of maps causes a workaround, much of what folks would like to see or do, is just not an option.  These workarounds will not be perfect, but as you have said they should, they are modified from time to time. 

I value your opinion and suggestions, but in fact most of what you said you would do, is already in place.  I too wish there was more publicity surrounding the scheduled setups, and it might surprise you how much of that schedule is laid out. 

Having a rigid schedule is good for time management.  Is it just as good, when it comes to development?  My solution:  Have one day a week, where something different might be run (so basically scheduled setups are run 6 days, then an off day to run special events that are designed to test the waters for upcoming modified setups).

Not all setups or events will be your favorite.  Even some of your least favorites, if given a chance, may help you to discover something new.  Until then, just take it from the veteran AvA players, there is a dark path that we will not go down again.  Most of the darkness occurred in the forums, not in the arena (this comment is not a reflection of recent posts, but only a determining factor that newer players may not be aware of).

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2010, 09:03:05 AM »
If the schedule is based upon theater and time period instead of a specific setup then you have all the flexibility in the world for development.

I'll use my four theaters and four time periods again.

PTO, ETO,MED, CBI

Early, EMid,LMid,Late

A weekly schedule is easy to write.

Early PTO, EM ETO, LM MED, Late CBI, EM PTO, LM ETO, Late MED, Early CBI, LM PTO, Late ETO, Early MED, EM CBI, Late PTO, Early ETO, EM MED, LM CBI

Repeat every 16 weeks.

Then all you have to do after is fill each scheduled slot with an appropriate setup. The rigidity in the schedule is the logical progression through different theaters and different time periods. The individual setups can be very flexible and changing as terrains and other resources come and go.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2010, 10:13:35 AM »
Dawger - that's assuming we have terrains to match every setup - which we don't.  And then comes into the planning - what early PTO scenario?  I do, however, like the idea of posting our schedule in advance, and me might be able to help out more of that in the future.

All of us are volunteers and that requires hours and hours of planning and scheduling - which we don't have, even with the development group.  But we'll try to improve how much we communicate about future setups.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:42 AM »
Dawger - that's assuming we have terrains to match every setup - which we don't.  And then comes into the planning - what early PTO scenario?  I do, however, like the idea of posting our schedule in advance, and me might be able to help out more of that in the future.

All of us are volunteers and that requires hours and hours of planning and scheduling - which we don't have, even with the development group.  But we'll try to improve how much we communicate about future setups.

I have the hours and hours of free time, the  experience doing it for several years and the willingness to participate.

Offline Wolfie

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2010, 12:04:48 PM »
I have the hours and hours of free time, the  experience doing it for several years and the willingness to participate.

:aok

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 12:13:24 PM »
No offense...but you also have a tendency to be short sighted to the point of tunnel vision. We all do it...especially as we get older. Show some abiity to be more open minded and I won't argue with you so much.  :D
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »

Sounds like a shoo-in to be a constant part of the AVA staff or at least the DevGroup to me.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2010, 09:32:11 PM »
No offense...but you also have a tendency to be short sighted to the point of tunnel vision. We all do it...especially as we get older. Show some abiity to be more open minded and I won't argue with you so much.  :D

I think by open minded you mean agree with you.

Nice try with the veiled insults but I won't rise to the bait.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 10:14:15 PM by Dawger »

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:16 PM »
Sounds like a shoo-in to be a constant part of the AVA staff or at least the DevGroup to me.

I doubt it. It seems the AvA is a private sandbox.

Offline MoJoRiZn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »
I doubt it. It seems the AvA is a private sandbox.

has been for some time it looks like, at least that is how it comes off looking like to most people even if it is not
only the faces, the names change and sometimes the thinking of how to use the arena
and people wonder why the population is always low, they need to quit trying to fix what was not broken to begin with and let the Arena description be what it says it is
"Well, I woke up this morning, and got myself a beer
the future's uncertain, and the end is always near     Let it roll"

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »
has been for some time it looks like, at least that is how it comes off looking like to most people even if it is not
only the faces, the names change and sometimes the thinking of how to use the arena
and people wonder why the population is always low, they need to quit trying to fix what was not broken to begin with and let the Arena description be what it says it is

I'm fairly certain keeping the population under 10 is a goal. Only possible explanation.

Once you eliminate all other possibilities the remaining possibility, no matter how far fetched must be the answer. A rough paraphrase of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.