Author Topic: If we had  (Read 757 times)

Offline 76646

• Zinc Member
If we had
« on: May 25, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
Invaded Japan. What would have happened? I've been thinking about this for a couple days now.
VMF- 214 "Blacksheep"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: If we had
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 02:14:03 PM »
Well we never invaded them but we ran their country and 'rebuilt' it for around 5 years...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:16:19 PM »
Watch Episode 9 of 'The Pacific', and multiply it by 10.. and every time a native was seen it would have been shredded apart by our soldiers' gunfire.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
women and kids were lining the beaches with bamboo polls. It would of been a blood bath
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
There are estimates, and the invasion itself would of cost millions of lives on both sides. Assuming they still didn't quit guerrilla tactics would of kept the war going for a few more years likely and only stacked the casualties higher. All in all I'd imagine it would of screwed Japan out of becoming the economic power-house it is today.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 03:04:46 PM »
sorry...double post. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:13:03 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »
With the development of the atomic bomb, invasion was no longer a option. But if we hadn't used it Russia have already agreed to come in from the north. 100s of thousands more people would have lost their lives and the Empire of Japan would have been divided up as Germany was.
If that were to have happened half of Japan would look a lot like China I suspect, with the north being under communist rule. Which that would mean Korea would also probably be all communist today as well. Interesting thought indeed.
Lighten up Francis

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
PBS did a documentary I saw recently based on this hypothetical.  I forget what it was called, but it was very well put together.

Bottom line, casualties in the tens of millions, probably would have been an even greater death toll for the Japanese, then the eastern front was for the Russians.  And the initial US invasion would have been like D-day times 10.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:59:35 PM by saggs »

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:22:15 PM »
women and kids were lining the beaches with bamboo polls. It would of been a blood bath
Bamboo polls are more binding than straw polls and more indicative of the final result than exit polls.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »
PBS did a documentary I saw recently based on this hypothetical.  I forget what it was called, but it was very well put together.

Bottom line, casualties in the tens of millions, probably would have been an even greater death toll for the Japanese, then the Battle of the Bulge was for the Russians.  And the initial US invasion would have been like D-day times 10.
So your saying no one would die?
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 03:54:13 PM »
Invaded Japan. What would have happened? I've been thinking about this for a couple days now.
a million American/Allied causalities was estimated and considering how far underestimated the enemy strength and allied casualty estimates always were in the pacific I'm guessing two million American/Allied casualties and 10-12 million Japanese dead/wounded in a full on invasion.
I just cant fathom that ever happening. 

Anyway....My call is "No Invasion" but instead the "continual application of atomic bombs on Japanese population centers until there was no fighting population left."

On a related note: I remember my dad telling me how grateful he was for the atomic bombs that finally forced Japan to capitulate.  Dad turned 16 yrs old in the spring of 45 and figured sure as hell he would be fighting in Japan and likely dying there before his 18th birthday.  Pretty heavy for a young kid to have to think that way.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
So your saying no one would die?

LOL

Sorry,  was thinking eastern front, and typed something else entirely.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:06:15 PM »

Anyway....My call is "No Invasion" but instead the "continual application of atomic bombs on Japanese population centers until there was no fighting population left."

MacArthur was in favor of nuking Japan to hell and back, but it was decided that the radiation fallout would be just as bad for the Allied troops coming ashore. I do believe though, that the US would have done that, if Japan had not surrendered when they did, just to keep Stalins hands off of the island.
It's really scary to think what would have happened if the Empire of Japan hadn't surrendered when they did.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:25:07 PM »
I dont think it matters since the bombs we DID use were so expensive to make (in fact I think we were Winchester). I also dont think the bombs played as large a role as you all seem to be saying.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »
Chalenge, we bombed tokyo worse than the nagasaki and hiroshima bombings. Yet, the two atomic bombs saved more lives than it took.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27