Author Topic: New/Old Saitek 36X combo  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« on: August 15, 2001, 11:01:00 AM »
Gave my old one to Geeman (man, talk about excited! Took him 5 min. to settle down!) since the bushings around the base of the stick were getting alittle sloppy, stick still worked excellent, never replaced the pots, just alittle too sloppy for my tastes.

Bought a 'refurbished' X36 combo for $39 bucks..expected the worst, found out its a brand new friggin' stick! More than pleased!

My summary of HOTAS sticks:
(Note: I am quite 'hard' on sticks, I either bolt them down, or use this super duper double back tape to hold them to the table, I bang them, trash them, slam them side to side...after all, being a user-end beta tester for Thrustmaster in 94,95 taught me to  do that! Right SOB?  ;) )

1990-1996  TM products(analog)

Good stuff for its time, but alot of maintainence, pot replacements, spring replacements. Had to sodder new pots on.  Hat switches wore out regularly.  Programmability learning curve for me on scale from one to ten: 2 (pain in the bellybutton until you learned it)

1996-2000  CH Products (analog)

Also good stuff, not as 'tight' as TM products but you get used to it.  Never replaced a spring, never had slop.  Pots needed changing every 2 months. No soddering, simply pull the clip, push the new one on, took 3 min to change pots.Hat switches didn't wear out as fast as TM, but still wore out eventually (within 6 months) Programmability learning curve for me on scale from one to ten: 9 (very easy)

2000 to present: Saitek X36 (Digital)
Carefree, no spring changes, no pot changes, only wear around gromment at base, though it did not affect flight, only the 'throw' of the stick manually.  Nary a hat switch has worn out. Programmability learning curve for me on scale from one to ten: 4 (easier than learning TM)

Verdict for me: Saitek X36 is best I've used in 10 years of HOTAS set ups simply because I've never opened it up in 10 months.

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: Ripsnort ]

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 12:22:00 PM »
Rip, you looking to buy the new Couger when it comes out?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
No, all I do is sims, so I don't see the extra axis helping me much, its sure looks purdy though!

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
Extra Axis?  Looking forward to the Cougar, and already have one on order with Flight Sim Central.   :)

Hopefully they got some of the things right that TM#1 got wrong.  The metal shaft is definitely a step in the right direction!

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
I like my X36 too cept the bottom most hat on the stick is wearing out. Ive had mine apart, just cause I wanted to see inside  :)

You can still get refurbished X36 combos? URL please.

I may look into the cougar, not sure yet, its a lot of money "to me"  I could order another X36 and have a spare for less money than the cougar.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 02:07:00 PM »
Rosco, just click the Saitek URL on the LINKs here at HTC website, you'll find the refurbished ones there for $39.00!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 02:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by rosco-:
I like my X36 too cept the bottom most hat on the stick is wearing out. Ive had mine apart, just cause I wanted to see inside   :)

You can still get refurbished X36 combos? URL please.

I may look into the cougar, not sure yet, its a lot of money "to me"  I could order another X36 and have a spare for less money than the cougar.
http://store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/recprod.html
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
So, anybody still getting "sticky keys" with the usb version?  I loved my X36 (serial) but  it gave me fits with keyboard lockups all the time. Even with all the tweaks, I never got it to a dependable level.

Anybody know if the usb still suffers the same fate or does the problem no longer exist?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
Sticky keys has been completely cured with the Digital version.
Its also easy to program to have dual throttle control for use with P38 etc.
Btw keep your old analogue for spares as the hat switches will fail and they are exactly the same as the analogue ones.
Mine is outa warranty now and is being kept alive by robbing the analogue switches etc when needed.

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
Sticky keys are a non-issue with the USB version.  Ive been using my set for over a year and the only problem is the lower hat (that I use constantly) is wearing out.  

It still works fine, but no longer 'clicks' into each position.  Gota take it appart to see how to replace it   :eek:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2001, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by 214thCavalier:
Sticky keys has been completely cured with the Digital version.
Its also easy to program to have dual throttle control for use with P38 etc.
Btw keep your old analogue for spares as the hat switches will fail and they are exactly the same as the analogue ones.
Mine is outa warranty now and is being kept alive by robbing the analogue switches etc when needed.

I don't fly the 38 much but would be interested in seeing how you programmed the engines
thx
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Yep, the only problem I have with the X-36 are the main POV hat switches on the joystick which I find wear out fairly quickly (I use Pan 99% of the time which probably speeds up the wear process).  I'm on my second X-36 and will be on my third shortly - though this will be under guarantee - I'm waiting for it to be exchanged for the updated X-45 when it's out.

A good stick!

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2001, 04:42:00 PM »
What's the story on the X45, since you mention it? I know Saitek has a new stick otw, but have nto read anything about it.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2001, 05:32:00 PM »
Just ordered myself a backup hotas  :)

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
New/Old Saitek 36X combo
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2001, 12:52:00 AM »
The new Saitek X45 or whatever they named it is basicly an X36 but with improved gimble.  Will reduce the slop the X36 has when centered,ie more sensitive stick.  That's the rumors I have read.  Anyone else know anything about it?

I think it will be on the shelves in September.