Author Topic: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?  (Read 3334 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: WW1 arena = Dr1 arena?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 09:46:07 PM »
I could. A lot more variation in combat situations is possible without getting into grab-base-win-war stuff of the other AH mains.
Well quit teasing and tell us what's in that massive brain of yours  :lol You thinking blimps, machine guns nests...what?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:50:24 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
Well quit teasing and tell us. What's in that massive brain of yours  :lol You thinking blimps, machine guns nests...what?

I did more than once on this BBS. But that was back when I was hoping to conserve the initial momentum with relatively little effort and without losing the focus on WW2 arenas.
Now it's too late. You can't bring players back without some major effort (if at all), and that's not going to happen (for good reasons).

and right now my own focus is on fixing my computer, so I can complain about arena caps again. I even missed patch 3 and the following rollback ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 09:54:53 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 10:13:11 PM »
Im going to keep playing in the ww1 arenas fo sure as well as the others.  I love the ww1 era.  I am just frustrated for now.  Looking forward to some new skins and new planes soon.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2010, 10:35:08 PM »
I fly WWI regularly (as most anyone who has flown there can attest) and personally the Dr1 isn't what's so annoying...it's the sheer number of them.  I can typically handle 1 Dr1 in a 1v1 (I fly only the F2 and am only in gunner 0.001% of the time) but when 4-5 Dr1s swoop in for an "easy kill" it tends to get annoying.  Same can be said about any plane but the problem with that is there is almost no other plane!  I'd be happy to take on 3-4 panes if there was a D7 and Camel thrown in, least there's some variety.  My day is perfect when I log in and see someone like AKRaven or any SC on and flying, Raven brings D7 into the mix and the SC's brought Camels in and they knew how to fly their respective planes very very well.

If they ever change the arena to anything but dogfighting I can only hope they only change 1 of the arenas.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2010, 11:15:50 PM »
I posted my thoughts on a WWI oriented game not based on taking territory (something intrinsically wrong for WWI) when it was announced.

A large issue is how much work HTC wants to spend on it.  The more effort spent on WWI, the less effort gets spent on their core product, WWII.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »
WWI was an interesting experiment....
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 12:14:51 AM »
I remember when DoA was being done by Hitech and Pyro and there was PLENTY of interest in WWI then, it never died till IEN killed it with their bogus FM.  All The WWI arena needs is a few more planes (DVa, SE5a, Newport 17, Spad VII, and XIII) for starters along with a couple of Bomber types and some strat targets and wala plenty of guys back in WWI.  

I wanted WWI and will still go in there to fly from time to time but more stuff is needed to make it work, most of the RoF guys are off-line commando's wanting to fly "missions" and fight only AI, but some WILL come for the dogfights, I own both games and I prefer HTC's version of WWI.

I think some of the guys got bored and the limited plane set has hurt too, but if they use the old DoA format I think the arena would draw alot of guys.

BigJim

Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline gon4beer

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
Waited and waited!still in if there's anyone to fight. But boxboys right .Needs more.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
I decided that since I'm an AH masochist that I would fly the F1 Camel, which I still do in the TA.  But right now every flight ends with my plane departing and smashing into the ground.  If I can get a handle on the silly thing I'll pop into WW1 more often, that and I have trouble adjusting from WW1 to WW2 from a plane handling and control point of view.

80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 02:40:24 PM »
HiTech's philosophy about this game and how it attracts us as it relates to WW2 with our dads/grandfathers fighting in WW2 hit the mark with me.  makes good sense...and also explains the short-lived interest in the WW1 arena.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 02:43:43 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
I'm quite afraid it's simply too late to get the arena back on track. And I am very sad about it.

I don't think so.  If they saved some additions and packed a few of them all together in one... such as a couple new planes, and a new arena format that added some strategy elements.  It could draw some crowds back and if it's fun, then it might sustain itself a little better.

Offline F6Fraven

• Zinc Member
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
I fly the D7 99% of the time. I will say it is difficult and frustrating fighting against DR1's but it does add some challenge to the fight for me. In my opinion the WW1 arena is almost perfect already. The fun is dogfighting against other players. If some people don’t find it fun then obviously WW1 isn’t for them, but the arena shouldn’t be changed to suite their needs when there are plenty of people who like it the way it is already. We don’t take bases in WW1,win wars, bomb fighter hangars, gv, fly for rank or plan missions. If a player wants to do that then why wouldn’t they just go to the WW2 arena? As far as the number of players online in the WW1 arena, on most weekdays you’ll usually see at least 3-4 players on during the day and up to 15 in the evening. On the weekends the numbers increase a little bit. Those players that are on are in there to furball or fight 1v1. From my experience in there, the 20 or so pilots who regularly fly in the WW1 arena are all excellent pilots, have great sportsmanship and are all fun to be around. I don’t think any of those guys would like to see the WW1 arena filled with the typical MA crowd.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2010, 03:44:19 PM »
We don’t take bases in WW1,win wars, bomb fighter hangars, gv, fly for rank or plan missions. If a player wants to do that then why wouldn’t they just go to the WW2 arena? .

Maybe we would like to enjoy WW1 planes in different combat situations than just a furball or duel 1v1 ´right on the deck?

And why is it suddenly about "capture bases" or "win the war" when we are looking for ways to get more variety in combat, missions and more long-time appeal for more players?

I don’t think any of those guys would like to see the WW1 arena filled with the typical MA crowd.

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 03:47:41 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
I enjoy flying in the WWI arena. I usually go in when there are numbers. It only has 4 planes and is limited to dog fighting only, but
down the line when it is more developed it will do fine. I personally think the slower flying planes are more fun to fly while
others prefer the faster WWII planes.

I have seen some pilots do really well in the camel and the D.VII. It really depends on how much time you spend with your ride.
No one flies behind the F2b for obvious reasons. 

<S>
Mano
 :airplane:
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
Have been a WWI guy for a long time...and we, the larger community of WWI guys, don't currently have a home.  There are a number of new accounts with AH because of the initial effort to develop a WWI arena.  Though BoxBoy's comments are relatively brief, they are pretty much on the mark.

The people who developed AH had a well-populated and relatively well developed sim in DOA - and then it was sold to IEN.  Little has happened in the past 10 years and the current version of DOA is not as well developed as what was there 10 years ago...and predictably there are few pilots.

There is a relatively large, and now wide ranging, group of folks who would prefer the old planes...but simply don't have a place that is very satisfactory to fly those planes.  Most of then have gone to several WWII arenas by default, but if we had our druthers...would be in the old wood, wire and cloth planes.  We remain optimistic...and I will keep my account alive in AH for that reason.  I am certainly not alone in this.  LOL...some of us currently have accounts in 4 different sims hoping one will develop at some point, and fly each now and again if for nothing more than to say Hi to an old friend.

Those folks who consistently complain that "any work on a WWI sim is a waste and simply detracts from further development of currently well developed WWII sim" that is well populated and not likely to have many more members for a modicum of additional development...grow really tiresome.  There is a WWI audience...and when a diverse and relatively well developed arena is built...they will come.

On the DR1...with only a few folks in the arena and the fight on the deck...people are going to fly DR1's because they are more effective in that situation.  When the crowd is a little larger and you can use vertical strategies to pick off individual DR's and then extend ... Dvii's can certainly work.  Most people naturally worry about scores in a simple fur ball arena, you can say "not me"...but I suspect all of us would agree scores are some measure of the motivation to fly as we fly.  In the current situation, you are going to do better in a DR.  If you have patience and are willing to settle for fewer kills/sortie then there is no reason at all you can't do some form of b'nz, retaining superior alt, and be very effective in a Dvii.  But, you are not going to often have 5 kill sorties.  Maybe a scoring system that is more weighted toward survival and pcs would change the flying style.  And, some folks truly like DR's.  Taking them away will only further reduce numbers.

Hope all is well out there...

One