Author Topic: Fourth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results  (Read 26350 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Fourth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket & Results
« Reply #435 on: July 13, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »
Joey,

Choosing your opponents favourite ride after losing is ridiculously bold. You sure as hell wasn't lying to me when you said " I'm confident in my ability with the 109K4". After watching those fights you sure as hell wasn't lying! :o

Even after losing the 4th fight in the K4, I too was confident that I was going to win.  It was an easy choice to pick the 109K4 for the deciding fight and I wasted no time calling it out on 200.  The fight developed in almost identical fashion as it had in the 4th fight and I had put myself in an even more favorable position in this one.  I worked my angles to the best of my ability to the point where I thought I had it.  To the point where I thought to myself, "It's about to be over."  I came down to finish him off and the gun solution simply wasn't there.  He had worked his plane into the perfect spot, slow and stalling.  His foresight to know where to put his aircraft and avoid my advantaged attack at least 5 seconds in advance was incredible.  And just like that, the fight turned.  I had just a tad more E, which is the worst spot you can be in in a rolling scissor.  Not enough energy to E fight him, but not slow enough to risk getting slower in an attempt to get on the bottom half of the rolling scissor.  I questionably opted for an 'all the marbles' E maneuver, but in hindsight, didn't quite bait him laterally against the torque long enough before bringing it vertical before planning a torque stall, down upon his struggling aircraft.  He simply kept his nose up, got his piper right on me, and ended it before anything of significance could develop.

I'm glad the title of this tournament was decided by an epic 5th round, and a fight that I can say I have no regrets about.  I would fight it the exact same way if given another opportunity.  It took incredible effort, guts, poise, and above all, skill, to come back and win this one.  A much deserved victory by TonyJoey, and once again proving that he is one of the best pilots in Aces High.

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #436 on: July 13, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »
TonyJoey, and once again proving that he is one of the best pilots in Aces High.
:aok great fights you 2 wtg Joey!
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #437 on: July 13, 2010, 10:42:07 PM »
Duels from my perspective if interested-

Spit14: http://www.mediafire.com/?mjhmhy5ziuyyywr

109K4: http://www.mediafire.com/?nmgzmezdmwl2tim

P-51B: http://www.mediafire.com/?1yw5yxjhjn2nnlq

109K4: http://www.mediafire.com/?htyzywwzjqyjtoh

109K4: http://www.mediafire.com/?ko0wutrednnz0md

That 4th and 5th fight were almost identical, except I lucked out of your guns (I honestly thought you had me there), and the E difference was the killer. It's almost impossible to convert such a minute E adv. in to a win. Like you said, the worst possible situation in scissors.

That was just one of those any-given Sunday duels, where I barely snuck by. It was definiteley a pleasure to fight you. A big return :salute to a great stick and sport.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 10:44:49 PM by TonyJoey »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #438 on: July 13, 2010, 11:10:20 PM »
I haven't gotten to see the films yet and probably won't until this weekend but wanted to throw out a congrats to TonyJoey.  Interesting choice of the K4 in round 4 down 2:1 and having lost in it in round 2.  Those are cajones.

It might be the weekend before I get the final bracket posted too but I'll try to get to that sooner if I can.  TJ... don't forget to print that out.  You can show off those big cajones to some hot WAC.   :D

I'm curious what the quarterfinalists thought of the 5 round duels and the somewhat unusual choice rules.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #439 on: July 13, 2010, 11:22:03 PM »
Congrats TJ (or should I say JT :D). I haven't had a chance to watch the films yet but I talked to Grizz on the telepwn and from what I gather you pulled off an epic victory with some truly fantastic cartoon flying.  I know how tough a fight Grizz is and to pull it out in a K4 from behind like that is just awesome.  Congrats again. 

AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #440 on: July 13, 2010, 11:24:57 PM »
I'm curious what the quarterfinalists thought of the 5 round duels and the somewhat unusual choice rules.

It's ironic that Grizz was one of the most vocal proponents of the 5 round duels and it cost him the championship.  ;)
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #441 on: July 14, 2010, 01:25:44 AM »
meh my money was on grizz. oh well...
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #442 on: July 14, 2010, 04:24:46 AM »
congrats Joey    :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #443 on: July 14, 2010, 06:23:51 AM »
wtg Joey :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #444 on: July 14, 2010, 06:53:25 AM »
WTG Joey . Lost my money ..
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #445 on: July 14, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »
It's ironic that Grizz was one of the most vocal proponents of the 5 round duels and it cost him the championship.  ;)

That's because Grizz knows a best of 3 is a ridiculous small sample to determine who's the best player overall actually is; I for one would agree with him.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #446 on: July 14, 2010, 07:46:10 AM »
Congrats TJ

:salute
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #447 on: July 14, 2010, 08:20:43 AM »
I had a couple of minutes this morning so here's the final bracket.  Congrats again to TonyJoey:

The next tournament sign-ups will begin around September 12th and run for two weeks.  That will, as always, allow us to complete the fall tournament prior to the Thanksgiving holiday.

I'd like to see more participation in that one... spread the word about the tournament between now and then.

Until then...
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #448 on: July 14, 2010, 08:54:18 AM »

I don't think the tournament could have went any better then it did, the new rules best of 5 was nice to see.  Had to be a rules official on one duel as they were not aware of the new rules and wanted to quit after 3  :P

I'll have to set the next one out more then likely we'll see how life turns out.  If so I would like to be a board member on the BE chamber of commerce  :D 

Thanks BE
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #449 on: July 14, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
congrats TJ great fights both of you
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey