Author Topic: Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude  (Read 4932 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »
What is the CT? I don't think I've heard of it or been in there?
Combat Theatre. The previous name of the AvA.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2010, 08:53:05 AM »
On the one hand I can understand, but I've never been one to consider "balance" and "fair play" when it comes to combat simulations of any kind. I've found myself on the bad end of situations like that in the AvA more times than I can count and no matter how many times it happens, it's always a thrill because I learn something every time and once in a while I come out on top or I get away. With the AvA settings, if there is a lot of action going on, situations change so fast it's more difficult to stay out of a situation like that until you're already committed to do something.

If you find that yourself in a situation like that again, say something tactfully on 200 and bring it to everyone's attention. Most of the regulars will police themselves and at least try to get the new people to comply. I've seen it happen.

Pfffft. Yeah, right.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
Pfffft. Yeah, right.
You got something intelligent to say SunBat?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 10:40:46 AM »
:rofl. :devil
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2010, 10:47:15 AM »
What he's trying to say is simple....BS on that. It's the typical excuse people use to justify their actions. Obviously I consciously chose to fly on the low #'d side. Instead of circling to alt and hanging on my side I flew out in search of the red guys. Thats about all I can do on my own to promote any kind of decent game play. Now once I reach "you" {and this is not aimed at you personally} the only people who can control your actions are each of you.

I'll gladly fly into a 1 on 2 or 3 repeatedly but if its simply an "all on 1" regardless of numbers or circumstance then why bother? For this to actually move forward in a constructive way its a set of individual choices, not a bunch of individual excuses...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 10:59:19 AM »
I thought the whole point of the AvA or the CT was to promote more realistic flying and situations.

What's unrealistic about piling on to make sure a disadvantaged enemy gets put down before he can kill one of your buddies?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2010, 11:12:10 AM »
Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2010, 11:13:32 AM »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2010, 11:33:32 AM »
I thought the whole point of the AvA or the CT was to promote more realistic flying and situations.

What's unrealistic about piling on to make sure a disadvantaged enemy gets put down before he can kill one of your buddies?

Wiley.

So when the disadvantaged enemy decides not to fly another hop what do you do? Or when someone goes to the other side so you guys can fight and you gang him also? How about the fact that maybe your buddy was having a good time and you stopped his fun. I fly for one of the larger squads in the game. Our squad buffer is often so full in prime time it scrolls, yet all of em will leave me alone if they see me in a one on one. Why, because they know that I would rather lose a good fight then have the other guy picked off a pelt.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 11:40:05 AM »
*shrug* I never said it was right, I was saying that was the behavior.  Something should really come up when one starts the game stating 'This is how you should fly.'  Then we would all know what we're supposed to do to keep everybody happy.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
What he's trying to say is simple....BS on that. It's the typical excuse people use to justify their actions. Obviously I consciously chose to fly on the low #'d side. Instead of circling to alt and hanging on my side I flew out in search of the red guys. Thats about all I can do on my own to promote any kind of decent game play. Now once I reach "you" {and this is not aimed at you personally} the only people who can control your actions are each of you.

I'll gladly fly into a 1 on 2 or 3 repeatedly but if its simply an "all on 1" regardless of numbers or circumstance then why bother? For this to actually move forward in a constructive way its a set of individual choices, not a bunch of individual excuses...
Humble, if that is indeed what he was saying, it may be the "typical excuse" for most of the AH players but I'm not typical. I don't hesitate to jump into situations where the odds are stacked against me, unless I'm with a squad mate or two who don't share my sense of adventure. It's just what I do, without complaint. I don't disagree with you that people in a group should at least try and make an attempt to avoid jumping on one person all at once. And I do understand where repeated incidents of such situations is frustrating as I also get frustrated at times, but just like many such situations, it can be avoided on both sides of the line. Last night was somewhat unsual especially when several people decided to grab 262s, and the situation you found yourself in happened on both sides.

No offense Masherbrum but I'm guessing that means in your book that if a person doesn't 1v1 he lacks whatever talent people here consider themselves possessing in a virtual world. What about the person who chooses the 1 against 2 or more?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2010, 11:56:23 AM »
No Icons?  No thanks.  EOM
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
*shrug* I never said it was right, I was saying that was the behavior.  Something should really come up when one starts the game stating 'This is how you should fly.'  Then we would all know what we're supposed to do to keep everybody happy.

Wiley.

I can see how that might be useful for people who start this game with absolutely no previous game experience of any type, and who have zero concept of "fair play" or how this game, like any other, requires a "balance" between teams, and a "self-policing" of behavior (since we don't have referee's).

How would we word it, so that people who fit that description could understand what we meant?
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »

: salute Snap
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 12:03:55 PM »
No Icons?  No thanks.  EOM
Thanks for letting us know, we'll be sure not to wait up for ya.