Author Topic: Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude  (Read 4929 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Sadly...U can turn off the icons...but not the attitude
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2010, 02:23:37 PM »
Just to counterpoint Wiley's point - gangbanging doesn't happen all the time. I was at a base, (having just had my backside shot off), upped and there were 2 a20's and a couple of other planes inbound. Didn't have the time to climb up to their alt, so concentrated on gaining a measure of e.

Humble was in one of the a20's (dunno who the rest were, getting old and my memory is shot!). At that stage, I was the only defender in the air, yet there was no ganging - got engaged, evaded and eventually killed a 190 - regained e and engaged an a20 - got my backside handed to me in short order.

That could have gone onto a very familiar 4 v 1 - yet it didn't - I had fun, hopefully they had fun and I kept reupping to try and kill a few of them.

Hard work when alt and e is against you, but - and an important but - I had a great time evading and trying to shoot straight. Numbers evened out eventually, but I had to log after that.

Point I'm trying to make, we are responsible for our conduct in arena's - irrespective of which one. We determine whether its fun or not. Do I expect to get ganged - hell yeah - some of the most fun fights I've been in were 8/9 v 1 or 2 of us - mostly I dont survive, sometimes I do. Do I appreciate the occasional 1 v 1, or 1 v 2 in the fight - yep. However, if its continually 9 v 1 or whatever, it stops becoming fun v. quickly so I'll move or log off - which reduces the numbers in the game, and leaves you with no one to fight.

ymmv,

Wurzel

Wurzel has the right of it..

The side with the numbers showed some class and DIDN'T gang and wurzel kept coming back, fun for all. Had all 4 jumped him the first time out what are the odds that he would have upped even a second time? Pretty slim I'm betting.

These are the same things that made it useless to fly in CT and early AvA as well. I havn't flown steady in there in a long time due to the same "MA Crap" infesting AvA. I go to the Mains because while its the same crap, there are more targets. I stop in AvA now and then, and at most I only get a flight or two before I'm discussed enough to move on.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »
You got something intelligent to say SunBat?

On holidays I prefer not to exert too much effort and simply relax and point out unintellegent things that other people have said.

It's sorta the cyber equivalent of sitting on the front porch, fannin' myself, sippin' mint juleps and swattin' flies.
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2010, 02:30:37 PM »
I go to the Mains because while its the same crap, there are more targets. I stop in AvA now and then, and at most I only get a flight or two before I'm discussed enough to move on.

Ah well, to each his own.

Iv'e never seen anything happen in AvA that would make me choose the MA instead.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2010, 02:31:40 PM »
Humble- Why do you assume I'm a gangbanger?  I'm not defending it or saying I condone it, I'm just saying it happens and expecting anything less when the other side has the numbers to do so is pointless.  It's expecting your opponents to put an artificial limitation on themselves for the sake of fair play in an online game.

Read that last sentence again, and let it sink in.

Wurzel-  I didn't mean it as a dig at you either, <S>.  Your last paragraph about sums up my feelings with the exception of replacing 'hope' with 'wish'.  I don't think it's likely to change.

Jimson- I disagree.  I would be willing to go as far as to say that the majority in the game AREN'T looking for an even fight.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »
On holidays I prefer not to exert too much effort and simply relax and point out unintellegent things that other people have said.

It's sorta the cyber equivalent of sitting on the front porch, fannin' myself, sippin' mint juleps and swattin' flies.
That's special. The question still stands, especially after your wonderful insight. If you didn't quite understand the statement the dummy version is, my choices, my adventure, no one else to fault but myself when things don't work out the way I might want.

As for this 1337 cartoon ace pile-it world, there are no written rules as to how a person engages opponents, it's all opinions.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
Anybody that shoots humble down sucks....

Just ask him.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »
That's special. The question still stands, especially after your wonderful insight. If you didn't quite understand the statement the dummy version is, my choices, my adventure, no one else to fault but myself when things don't work out the way I might want.

As for this 1337 cartoon ace pile-it world, there are no written rules as to how a person engages opponents, it's all opinions.
Sometimes, when there's a particularly annoying fly, I like to just barely swat him so I don't kill him  just stun him. Then I pull his wings and legs off one by one, set him down and watch him wiggle around.
AoM
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Thanks for letting us know.
Been there, done that.  Got the T-shirt  :rock
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
Sip
AoM

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2010, 03:27:30 PM »
Ahhhh....
AoM

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
Anybody that shoots humble down sucks....

Just ask him.

lol....my very own peanut gallery.  :D

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2010, 03:45:07 PM »
lol....my very own peanut gallery.  :D

Who's Dawger?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »
Who's Dawger?

ack-ack

The guy you can't beat in a P-38

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2010, 03:53:17 PM »
I got the chips.

Someone need to grab some brews.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2010, 03:54:39 PM »
Its memorial day...who doesn't have the brewski's lined up?