Author Topic: Skill Or Heridity  (Read 3797 times)

Offline lilsquid

• Copper Member
Re: Skill Or Heridity
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 07:19:54 PM »
Didn't see your modify about the second pic.

Is that first one a 47?  The canopy looks like a 51, but I'm not sure.

Another picture:
(Image removed from quote.)

Yes its a 47 and your pic is when they were reunited with their warbirds
Freedom is strangely ephemeral. It is something like breathing; one only becomes acutely aware of its importance when one is choking. - William E. Simon

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
No offense but the CAF Archives show them in p-47's ack-ack they moved to p-80's after the war i have pictures of them in p-47's if someone will help me by telling me how to post pictures on here ill show you them

Here is a war time picture of both of your relatives.

These are pictures of the P-51Ds they flew.

“Little Rebel”

Here is another picture of the P-51D "Little Rebel"

"Sweet and Lovely"

Looking further, the CAF archives were correct, they did fly P-47s for a short time while stateside after the war for the 54th Fighter Wing of the Georgia Air National Guard while both were attending engineering school at Georgia Institute of Technology.  Both were recalled to active service and flew Mustangs again with the 31st FG and then assigned to the 36th Fighter Group in Germany to fly the P-80s.  

Both were really lucky to spend most of their career together in the same units.

Here are some links you can find more information about your relatives.

Sky Blazers

Lt. Gen. Charles C. "Buck" Pattillo

Maj. Gen. Cuthbert A. "Bill" Pattillo

ack-ack

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:39:25 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 07:28:19 PM »
Yes its a 47 and your pic is when they were reunited with their warbirds

It is a P51, not a P47.
Where they both aces as well?(pictures look like it)
Who cares about the TBirds in all honesty, twins that where WW2 aces. Is there any other example of that?

Offline lilsquid

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
It is a P51, not a P47.
Where they both aces as well?(pictures look like it)
Who cares about the TBirds in all honesty, twins that where WW2 aces. Is there any other example of that?

i care, and not that i know of...
Freedom is strangely ephemeral. It is something like breathing; one only becomes acutely aware of its importance when one is choking. - William E. Simon

Offline Bucky73

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
So I'm asking do you think I'm skilled or have i inherited the genes of 2 early genoration Pattillo's who happen to be combat pilots out of WWII

No

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Mustang... yummies.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 07:52:02 PM »
So I'm asking do you think I'm skilled or have i inherited the genes of 2 early genoration Pattillo's who happen to be combat pilots out of WWII.

Im related to Ed White, and you dont see me blowing up on the runway........Oh wait, yes you do.

And i wouldnt proclaim on AH BBS that I am a "Skilled pilot" some will ALWAYS disagree.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »
It's ignorant to state that skills are genetic. Predispositions, perhaps the DNA tells your brain to form in such a way that it processes 3d spacial logic better, but to translate that into saying "I have good SA, it's genetic" is idiotic.

The genes just build the body and perhaps give it predispositions. It's how you use it, what you've learned, and your experiences as a whole that make the person and the skills. If you think otherwise you've been watching too many Sci-Fi or fantasy movies. Keep in mind people used to eat the brains of their enemies in the hopes of gaining their skills. That's also wrong.

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:28 PM »
Hereditary...?  If you were doing the SAME thing they were doing and exhibited the same skill set then Id go for the Hereditary...

The best I can tell you is My Daughter was 13 last year...Her and I went ELK hunting..I am considered a very good shot hunting...I drooped my BULL ELK at 407 yards on the run...a trot really.  5 min later she shot her BULL ELK at 150 yards while it was on a Trot also.  She had iron sights I had a scope..I believe that is Hereditary. Out of all my 4 kids shes the most like me. Same interests, mechanics, fishing, hunting, etc.

KAM

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
Referring to your original question though,  there are no "good pilot" genes.  Although things like reaction time, dexterity, or endurance are genetic traits that could effect your piloting ability, this is a game.  An AH dogfight does not put the physical stress any actual dogfight would.  I would say the overlap is very little and genetic skill is an insignificant variable in this game.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 08:20:20 PM »
Buck and Bill Pattillo flew P47's with the 54th Fighter Group of the Georgia National Guard after they were released from active duty in 1945 and were attending school. They were recalled to active duty in 1948 as P51 pilots and were assigned to the 31st Fighter Group in Albany, Georgia. After that they were assigned together flying P80's with the 36th Fighter Group in Furstenfeldbruck, Germany where they assisted in forming the Skyblazers and flew P80's and F84's. In 1953 they were assigned to Luke Air Force Base, Arizona where they helped form the original Thunderbirds.

Oh, you can meet both? or just one? of your great-great grandfathers they live in Tampa, Florida as of January 2010
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:44:15 PM by wgmount »
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
Physical skill sets are 100% genetic gentlemen...some skills are passed down and some are not but to say that specific physical skill sets are not genetic is uninformed.  

How many baseball players are third generation pros?  Football? yep...and for the coup de gras...guess what a Congressional Medal of Honor winner receives other than flying anywhere for free for his lifetime?  Any guesses?  HIS CHILDREN ARE GRANTED CONGRESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS TO ANY MILITARY ACADEMY OF THEIR CHOICE.  Now, while being heroic is not specifically a "skill" it is a character trait and that character trait is recognized as possibly being "passed from generation to generation"....is character, or lack thereof, a genetic trait or environmental?  The skill set that IS applicable to about 99% of the CMH winners is a calm, cool, head under life-taking circumstances WHILE acting or giving orders that saved a ton of lives and that, my friends, is a skill.  Even falling on a grenade required the forethought and the critical decision making process that becomes selfless...it may appear to be "reaction" or instinct but you and I know different...they knew they were going to die to save someone else and they made that decision.  

Hand-eye coordination is genetic....great vision....genetic....my bet is you will find a significant amount of information regarding military genetic studies; and physical skills and flying, naysayers, is a specific set of skills....including taking G's.  Im sure there are folks that have such great hand-eye skills they can play handball with the curb but put them in a high-performance aircraft and they will blow chunks everytime you turn it.  

Good SA comes from experience....but if you can't fly the plane well...who cares how good your SA is?  The tools to have good SA ARE genetic...excellent vision, excellent spacial aperception, excellent depth perception....those are God given gifts.

I am not saying that EVERY physical skill is passed on to heirs....I am saying its biologically impossible not to pass some.  Hey, its how human genes work men and if you deny that, well, you need to go back to school.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 08:40:06 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 08:42:44 PM »
How many baseball players are third generation pros?

Yeah, and the fact they were totally surrounded by intelligent people from birth, telling them every little detail about how to swing a bat or throw a ball since they were born, and groomed from birth to be good at something, has nothing to do with it, right?

Believing genetics control everything is foolish. You take an orphaned chinese kid and you raise it in America and what do you get?

An American that looks Chinese. They don't grow up to pledge aliegence to the communist flag in the morning unless they're taught to. They don't grow up liking noodlies and kung pao chicken. If they are surrounded by these things from birth, told by their parents "This is good" then maybe, but physical predispositions only extend so far as how you use them.

Or do you also believe that red heads are all slovenly drunks, the devils mark, and the sign of lowly Irish lineage?

Puh-LEASE....  :rolleyes:

P.S. Before I get flamed, I'm pointing out some very negative stereotypes, not my own personal beliefs about redheads. Substitute any racist stereotype to suit your preference here.

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 09:32:59 PM »
EPIGENETCS...look it up..can have an impact on generational genetic lines.

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/epigenetics/

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:21 PM »
eugenics.

Look it up.

It scared (scares?) multiple generations.

Unless you believe that blacks are genetically predisposed to be criminals? Or you think that jews are greedy? Or you think that the Polish are genetically stupid, or the French genetically cowardly.

Racism takes a lot of forms. A lot of them are related to genetics, lineage, and ignorance.

P.S. Epigenetics has nothing to do with inheriting good piloting skills (or any learned abilities) as this topic was suggesting.