Author Topic: F6F-5P. VF-84. USS Bunker Hill  (Read 3868 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
F6F-5P. VF-84. USS Bunker Hill
« on: June 02, 2010, 12:27:01 PM »
I think this aircraft would be OK it seems to be an armed photo reconnaissance aircraft so if any one wants it claim it. Thought it would add some colour to our F6F'S with the yellow nose. Also have colour video of this plane some place that I can't find right now.

http://www.diecastairplane.com/store/p/31464-F6F-5P-Hellcat-VF-84-USS-Bunker-Hill-February-1945-1-72-.html

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Re: F6F-5P. VF-84. USS Bunker Hill
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »
Awesome skin  :aok
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 09:37:46 PM »
From what I can gather, the Bunker Hill only ever had 6x F6F-5P assigned to in in the last 6(?) months of the war in 1945. The bulk of the fighter squadrons were F4us by this time (3 squadrons on the ship). I'd check to make sure the -5Ps actually saw any combat. I don't know myself, but it would be a welcome splash of color to those otherwise boring late-war USN paint schemes!

I just wish the USN was more imaginative!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
From what I can gather, the Bunker Hill only ever had 6x F6F-5P assigned to in in the last 6(?) months of the war in 1945. The bulk of the fighter squadrons were F4us by this time (3 squadrons on the ship). I'd check to make sure the -5Ps actually saw any combat. I don't know myself, but it would be a welcome splash of color to those otherwise boring late-war USN paint schemes!

I just wish the USN was more imaginative!
From what I have read the yellow noses were done so when the planes returned to the ship the deck hands that dealt with the photo equipment would know their planes were in bound & could pick them out easily amongst all the other aircraft. The yellow noses were only placed on the photo reconnaissance aircraft. So this aircraft we already have in game  from the Bunker Hill must be a photo recon bird as well if the info I have read on line is correct.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:47:17 PM »
That answered my question!  :aok

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 08:59:27 AM »
I guess the Bunker Hill painted the noses of some of there aircraft white as well.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:33:46 AM »
That looks like a different time period. Note the different tail and nose markings. Keep in mind towards the end of the war the Navy was using different ID markings for each ship that changed I BELIEVE with each campaign or operation. This aircraft would not have flown at the same time as the yellow-nosed bird we have currently.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:19:14 PM »
I guess the Bunker Hill painted the noses of some of there aircraft white as well.

(Image removed from quote.)

That is a VMF-112 Corsair from the USS Bennington. The Bunker Hill used the larger white arrow markings.
The F4U in your photo has the Christmas Tree markings of the Bennington.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »
That is a VMF-112 Corsair from the USS Bennington. The Bunker Hill used the larger white arrow markings.

As I said, I think that was also from a different time period. IIRC, the carrier air group markings changed with the operation.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 01:58:10 PM »
As I said, I think that was also from a different time period. IIRC, the carrier air group markings changed with the operation.

Yeah I saw what you said. What's your point?

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »
That even if it WAS Bunker Hill's bird, this:

isn't completely accurate, anyway, since the yellow and white noses didn't necessarily fly at the same time.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »
That even if it WAS Bunker Hill's bird, this:

isn't completely accurate, anyway, since the yellow and white noses didn't necessarily fly at the same time.

So your post ended the thread and nobody else should reply?

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 06:46:43 PM »
Not that a die cast is always right I would say it is the same aircraft though?
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-US33014

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 09:39:08 PM »
Not that a die cast is always right I would say it is the same aircraft though?
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-US33014
Leave it to Corgi.  :lol

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 01:50:22 AM »

Do we not have a VFM-112 Corsair from the USS Bennington?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group