Author Topic: View Question  (Read 1094 times)

Offline IBFLOYD

• Zinc Member
View Question
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:34:48 PM »
I'm a new player coming from Fighter Ace and I have a question about setting up my joystick for differnet views. Right now I have my stick set up with the forward hatswitch set to “look up” and the button on either side of the hatswitch to “look up left” and “look up right” and the rest of my hatswitch views are on the default setting. This is working pretty good for me but I was wondering if any of the old pros have any suggestions. Also, is playing without Tracker IR a big disadvantage when going against someone who has it?  Thanks.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Re: View Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Most typical is 1 button set to "up" (pinkie if you have it) and standard 8 way hat. Track IR offers no advantage over the hat view system but a lot of guys swear by it...all a matter of preference IMO.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:48:23 PM »
Check out this area for view settings

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

If you can use a button that is easy to use at the same time as using the hat and map that to look up, as with what you have set up at the moment is about half of the available views...

Between track IR and AH views...personal preference really...there is no major advantage one over the other once you have your views set up to how you like them  IMO
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:50:28 PM by SPKmes »

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 10:52:24 PM »
TrackIR is more for immersion and a feeling of "really being in the cockpit".  The view system in AH is really pretty good.  With your views adjusted properly, you don't get any less coverage than with TIR.

Being new, I would suggest browsing the Aces High II Trainer Corps website.  Here is a link to the section on setting up your views.  Hope this helps, and welcome to Aces High.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:22:46 PM »

8)Forward UP
9)Forward Right
6)Right
3)Back Right
2)Back
1)Back Left
4)Left
7)Forward Left

Now set a button on your joystick to the UP view.

With this setup you have the best viability and you can keep eyes on your opponent at all times which is key.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:54:29 PM »
I do this:

8)Forward Up
9)Forward Right
6)Right
3)Back Right
2)Back
1)Back Left
4)Left
7)Forward Left
8+S3)Up
9+S3)Forward Right Up
6+S3)Right Up
3+S3)Back Right Up
2+S3)Back Up
1+S3)Back Left Up
4+S3)Left Up
7+S3)Forward Left Up
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2010, 07:31:57 AM »
2 major schools of thought here.

What Lute said was one way, set a key or button to look up, use that along with hat to get the UP views.
This is most likely the overall most common method people use.

The other method sets a key or button for switching modes, mode 1 would have all the flat views, mode 2 would have all the up views. Then you simply set a button to switch modes to alternate between them.

While this method is harder to setup, and more complicated, it also offers some elegance.
You can in effect double the number of commands available for your buttons.

Example, set  joystick button 3 in mode 1 to flaps down, set the same button in mode 2 to flaps up.

Trigger can be set to fire all in one mode, fire primary in another.

Which way will work best for you only you can decide.

What is truly vital, is the ability to pass someone nose to nose, look over your shoulder, and follow him while at the same time looping up into an Immelman merge. Back, back up, up, up forward, gunsight.

You have to be able to make that smooth transition from back through up, and forward in views or your always going to have problems. And you need to be able to do it while pulling a loop.  So you can see when "oops, he pulled to hard, stalled it" and adjust your flight path accordingly. Or you can see "he's pulling max gee's going for angles", I had best pull easy and zoom above him giving me an advantage.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »
After these last 3 fine sticks have typed...........  I have nothing to add really! 

Ghosth.... I have never thought of that but when I get home I'm going to map it!  Thanks!!!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:53:07 AM »
After these last 4 fine sticks have typed...........  I have nothing to add really! 

Fixed.   :D
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 10:19:54 AM »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
IBFLOYD:

Welcome! You will find an almost religious dedication to various opinions on the subject of view setup. Most people use the "Hat Switch" in combination with some kind of "UP" shift as described by several of those that already posted. It works great for a lot of fine pilots.

However, don't disregard the STANDARD view system, which is preconfigured by default with every AH installation unless you change it. It works especially well for right-handed people.

Set your joystick down immediately to the right of your keyboard, so that the numeric keypad is adjacent its left side, as close as you can get it to your throttle lever. Use your right hand for joystick functions, and use your left hand on that numeric keypad for views. This gives you constant, instant access to all 33 available views, leaving you with a big advantage over those that get by with only the best-known 17 views.

The hat switch view settings then become redundant, and you always have the option to remap them, giving you constant access to your favorite right-handed functions. I like to use my hat switch for "targeting" functions (like view zooming) that I want extremely handy in the heat of battle.

This is a tradeoff. It increases your view options, but it moves your left hand slightly off of your throttle lever. That tradeoff turns out to be advantageous for me in "Boom and Zoom" and "Energy Fighting", but others point out that it may penalize the "Turn Fight". You might want to give some thought to the kinds of aircraft you prefer to fly, and the type of fighting to which each is suited:

Boom and Zoom: In this kind of fighting, you'll work to create situations where you are moving 100 to 300 MPH faster than your opponents. The distances between you and your targets will be extremely dynamic, and you'll be zooming up and down through the fight. At long range, you'll sometimes want to zoom your view in so you can see the orientation of your target. At other times you'll want to zoom back out for an increased field of view to help you take in the big picture. Shot opportunities will be brief, and it will be very easy to visually lose track of your prey unless you can easily zoom your view back out. Most of the time your throttle will be either FULL ON or FULL OFF. The extra view flexibility of the standard view system delivers a big advantage in this situation, and the cost is minimal.

Turn Fighting: In this kind of fighting, you'll work hard to get a lot closer to your opponents and it will be somewhat easier to see them on average. You won't need to zoom your view in and out as often, so it's OK to map those functions to a less convenient location than the hat switch. You'll be making frequent adjustments to your throttle, and you'll spend a lot more time nudging it around, between its extremes. Your shot opportunities will last a lot longer, and you'll have more chances to fly into your own personal "sweet spot" for shooting at your preferred distance. Your mind may settle into a specific target image for that distance, and you may find that dynamic view zooming can be disruptive to your long-held aiming habits.

I also have a TrackIR system. I like it for "tourist" flying. But in combat, I keep going back to the standard system, with my hat switched remapped for targeting. That's the system that gets me the most success in combat.

Like I said, there are a lot of opinions and options. The point is that Aces High offers you many, many choices. You will probably be re-thinking this over and over again during your first year or two with us. Eventually you'll figure out what you like best. Enjoy the process!

-Peabody-

Offline MoJoRiZn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

8)Forward UP
9)Forward Right
6)Right
3)Back Right
2)Back
1)Back Left
4)Left
7)Forward Left

Now set a button on your joystick to the UP view.

With this setup you have the best viability and you can keep eyes on your opponent at all times which is key.

IBFLOYD,
this is the best VIABLE option, and is really all you need, the most primary views are forward, forward up, up, back up, back which are in line with your lift vector and will be used 90% of the time while in a fight. all other views are secondary, really and will be used mostly when crusing around looking for a fight

if you are zooming in and zooming out, you are wasting to much extra time in a dogfight even if you are bnz'ing

work on setting up your views and read the trainers website as linked to above to understand how you can manipulate each head position by moving it up , down, and side to side in each separate view and save that individual view position independently for each different plane

get with a Trainer and they'll help you set up your views if you have trouble with it

welcome to aces high  :banana:
"Well, I woke up this morning, and got myself a beer
the future's uncertain, and the end is always near     Let it roll"

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »
Which way will work best for you only you can decide.

What is truly vital, is the ability to pass someone nose to nose, look over your shoulder, and follow him while at the same time looping up into an Immelman merge. Back, back up, up, up forward, gunsight.

You have to be able to make that smooth transition from back through up, and forward in views or your always going to have problems. And you need to be able to do it while pulling a loop.

Agreed, also agree with snaphook & WMLute...........  Mojo basically says same thing as Ghosth posted.......

I also agree that trackerIR doesn't have any significant advantage over the AH view system.........
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
Agreed, also agree with snaphook & WMLute...........  Mojo basically says same thing as Ghosth posted.......

I also agree that trackerIR doesn't have any significant advantage over the AH view system.........

I have one little tidbit to add...

If you can, map your HAT swith and "Look Up" button to the same hand.  Personally, I'm using my right thumb for my HAT switch, and my right pinkie for the "Look Up" button (I use an X52, with the Look Up mapped to the pinkie switch.

Now, if you have a "rocker" type stitch, or another HAT switch available for your left hand, you can map it to slide your head left/right, just like the arrow keys do.  I use the 4-way HAT switch on the front edge of my throttle.  That way, my left index finger is always resting on this button.

This set-up allows all the views, plus the ability to slide your head l/r with ease, which is really nice for being able to quickly/efficiently check your six, etc...  It's also nice to be able to quickly shift your head while in forward view to see things blocked by the canopy frame, etc...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline IBFLOYD

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 11:32:31 PM »
Thanks for the info. The hardest part of coming to this game from Fighter Ace is not having the padlock that I'm used to. I'm starting to get used to the different physics but the view system will take some practice and experimenting.