Author Topic: This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg
« on: June 04, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
WELCOME TO OKINAWA 1945

LATE OPERATION ICEBERG

ALLIES - BISHOP
AXIS - KNIGHTS

Royal Navy
Seafire IIC
F4U-1A
TBM
LVT's
PT Boats

USN
F6F
F4U-1D
TBM
LVT's
PT Boats

USAAF
P-38L
P-51D
B-25C/H
B-26B
C-47
M Series
Jeeps
M4A3

IJA
A6M5
Ki-61
Ki-67
Ki-84
NIK2-J
C-47
Type 1 Ho-Ha (Sub SdKfz)
Type 98 Ke-Ni (Sub M-8)
Type 3 Chi-Nu (Sub T-34/76)
Jeeps

IJN
A6M5
LVT's
PT Boats

Arena Settings
Downtimes: 60 minutes
Capture: 30 troops
Enemy Icon Height: 500ft +
EnemyLowIconRange: 0
Radar Dar: 52800
Radar height: 500ft
Sector Dar: 105600
Sector height: 1000ft
All others Ava Norms

STORY

It's springtime 1945 and the Allies are now in full-swing with Operation Iceberg.  With the help of British carreir forces, the American Army and airforce are trying their best to ensure the pressure on the Japanese forces occupying the island is not let up.  Japan's single and remaining carrier is already a main target of both forces but has managed to elude Allied forces for months.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: This week in the AvA: Okinawa 1945 - Operation Iceberg
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 01:08:22 AM »
Heya Mister Fork,
what does this mean?

Enemy Icon Height: 500ft +

does that mean enemy icons are turned on above 500 ft? and distance range is under 3K ?

or does
EnemyLowIconRange: 0

mean no enemy icon?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 01:22:06 AM »
please, oh please, don't bring the nasty icons backs, they hurts us.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline Mighty01

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 02:14:14 AM »
please, oh please, don't bring the nasty icons backs, they hurts us.

how so?
you can't run away? or
hide in the sun? or
hide on the deck? or
you can't fight? or
or won't be able to hide your 2 or 3 or 4 attacking 1? or
what?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:15:55 AM by Mighty01 »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:19:08 AM »
Mighty1,

Actually, there are some concessions that are being made to further the realistic feeling for air combat in the arena.  Since its implementation, no enemy icons has received much praise from old and new players of the arena.  The fact that there are more than two other players in the arena has been a plus.  What I would ask you to do, is to keep an open mind, and wait and see if things like dot dar, and wingman tactics would improve your experience.   

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:04:11 AM »
Well, considering no enemy icons is supposed to be a standard setting at this point, Fork probably did a copy/paste from an earlier setup without changing anything.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
I don't know, a lil different arena setting my be a good thing, especially for the newer ex-Fighter Ace players that have came to Aces High.......

I know I wouldn't mind the setup if it had icons turned on for Enemys under 3k ....... and disappearing when below 500ft AGL.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:27 AM »
New FA people are enjoying the no enemy icons, what's throwing them off is the apparent focus of furballs in the setups. With friendlies at ~2.5k it's pretty easy to pick out the enemies once you get used to it. I'm guessing you haven't been in the AvA when there is a decent crowd?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 02:11:38 PM »
Looks fun assuming the icons are still off. I'm assuming they are and the description is in error.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
Icons are off.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:02 PM »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 10:07:14 AM »

No enemy icons makes the AvA arena fun and different (i.e. the ONLY arena with no icon setting).  To those that want icons, feel free to go to the other 20 arenas with icons on.

To management, please don't succumb to the icon crowd and leave the no icon crowd with nowhere to go.
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 11:04:33 AM »
No enemy icons makes the AvA arena fun and different (i.e. the ONLY arena with no icon setting).  To those that want icons, feel free to go to the other 20 arenas with icons on.

To management, please don't succumb to the icon crowd and leave the no icon crowd with nowhere to go.

just so you know... their are some of us here who flew in the CT / AvsA for many years as it was "WITH ICONS" and only had problems when others came in and decided they needed to change the way things were

the "NO ICONS" only came about earlier this year..... ( like 3 or 4 months ago )

so in doing so it watermelon canned those who loved the arena the way it was before others said it needed "CHANGES" and before people needed to impose "THIER GAMEPLAY WAYS" onto those who already originally participated in this AvsA arena for over 8 years

so take your "NO ICONS" and shove them..... and thank you for taking away the only arena others and myself truely appreciated before the "no icon / supposedly more realistic, but it's not BS" that has just recently came about......

maybe HTC could offer us a CT arena with ICONS ON, since they canned the "Combat Tour" idea........ and we can go back to having a Combat Theatre like we had in the beginning?????

and no thank you, I don't care to fly in the AvsA with no icons......... I'll just stick to only flying KOTH, FSO & Scenarios from now on.....

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »
abraham lincoln once said, "you cant please all of the people, all of the time!" that being said, we're trying to do the best we can TC. I'm sorry if you don't like the settings and that is your right. most of the people seem to like the setups so we're going to stick with it until public opinion changes. for now it will be no icons but like everything else around here, that could change in time. Thanks for your understanding and we will miss you and I personally hope you might change your mind or atleast stick your head in once in awhile.   :salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 11:22:04 AM »
we're trying to do the best we can TC.

Thanks for your understanding and we will miss you and I personally hope you might change your mind or atleast stick your head in once in awhile.   :salute

I was not really directing that at you or the AvsA staff Jaeger, I was specifically directing that at those who did not ever really fly in the CT or AvsA until just recently......

I understand why you did it, and as I said before hope it brings ALOT of people in for ya.....   :cheers: