Author Topic: Case/Power supply for AMD  (Read 657 times)

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Case/Power supply for AMD
« on: August 30, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
Ok while waiting for my insurance company to get off it's dead arse I have been gleaning what I can about current chipsets.  I believe I will be going with the K7-800 on a Asus K7V w/o the onboard sound.  
I do keep reading references on making sure you have the right power supply for the AMD systems.  Here is the question:
What Case/Power supply is AMD certified so I don't hose up and end up with a chunk of cash in something that wont work right??

S!
Rocket

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2000, 06:39:00 PM »
Hi Rocket,

I have the same question in my thread, Questions about an upgrade. I hope you get a better response than I have had.  

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

ovmech

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
One of the things I notice when I see vendors selling power supplies is "AMD" approved.

Anyway..... due to all the power requirements for todays systems I think it wise for you to select 250W or higher.

"The Athlon is a very complex CPU and because of that complexity, it tends to draw more power than most Intel CPUs.  The high transistor count of the Athlon is the main culprit for the high power requirements of the CPU: the more transistors you have, the more current your CPU is going to draw.  This not only puts a strain on your power supply, but also on your motherboard, which is part of the reason why we didn’t see as many Athlon motherboards at the launch of the CPU.  Luckily, the motherboard manufacturers seem to have perfected their designs to a level that motherboards are no longer a major issue when determining the stability of an Athlon platform (as long as they’re on AMD’s recommended motherboard list).  This leaves the power supply as a potentially major cause of system instability if it isn’t able to supply enough power to the motherboard."

go here.... search for "power supplies"  and there is a whole article on them.

http://www.anandtech.com/index.html

ov

------------------
ovmech, Lt Col Commanding
  ovmech@cfl.rr.com  
82nd Fighter Group
82nd Fighter Group

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2000, 07:12:00 PM »
Rocket go with the Thunderbird version of the Athlon and the ASUS A7V.  You will be MUCH happier in the long run.  All new AMD processors will use Socket A, and the K7V only supports up to 800 MHz.  The A7V will support 1000 MHz +.

The A7V also has a bunch of extra features worth getting: Promise ATA-100 built in, Ability to set FSB in 1 MHz increments, and more.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2000, 11:09:00 PM »
ovmech and bloom thanks aton  
I am making out the parts list now and getting it more and more in stone.

S!
Rocket

p.s. Mav hope that helped you too!

nonoht

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2000, 10:26:00 AM »
i've Duron 600 with soltek motherboard..
i use a 350W power supply   i've no problems with it...
250w is too weak for new stuff