Author Topic: How? Combine MS Sidewinder PP w/CH Pro Peds  (Read 890 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
How? Combine MS Sidewinder PP w/CH Pro Peds
« on: August 20, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
I know this should be a no brainer, but I can't get it to work. I want to transfer rudder control from my SWPP twisty handle to a set of peds...CHPP USB.

AH joystick set-up recognizes the Sidewinder and the CH Peds. I selected "rudder" under AH controls which highlighted the Sidewinder. Under joystick input I selected "none" So far, so good; my Sidewinder no longer inputs rudder control.

Next I selected rudder under AH control, selected CH Peds under joystick, and have several options under joystick input: none, Y axis, X axis and Z axis. Which do I use?

Z axis does nothing and X or Y bring the rudder to full left setting upon spawn.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks  :)

Offline MAC

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
I contacted Microsoft because I too have the Sidewinder PP and CH Pro pedals which I could not get to work instead of the twisting rudders.  I told them that I could get my CH throttle to override the SW throttle but I could not get the rudder to be overriden.  Their response was that they could offer no help, since what I was doing was technically/theoretically impossible occording to all their support techs.  They said that the SW can NOT be overriden.  I asked them if they had an explaination for my doing what they said was impossible and they had no answers.  When you figure out how to override the SW rudders, please post it!

Thanks

MAC  :(

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2001, 12:40:00 PM »
According to CH Products, you CAN combine USB rudders with an analog (MSPP) gameport stick. As mentioned, I WAS able to disable the rudder function of the twist handle.

Let me ask this another way, if I were adding rudder peds to a NON-TWISTY stick, how would i go about doing that in AH stick set-up?

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Quote:

"According to CH Products, you CAN combine USB rudders with an analog (MSPP) gameport stick."

Isn't the MSPP a digital joystick? If it is, it can't be analog.  You may be barking up the wrong tree.

I too would like to see a solution to this problem. Good Luck.

delta/fGonzo

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
I use MS Ppro 1 USB with CH Pro Pedals USB.  No problems at all.

Make sure you have the CH pedals in "separate" mode.
The Z axis is the rudder axis of the pedals.  X and Y are the toe brakes.

It setup for me sooo easily it wasn't funny.
Ppro is Game controller 1, pedals are game controller 2 in control panel, gaming options

Guys this overriding the MS twisty thing has no bearing on this discussion at all...
DO NOT ASSIGN any control action to that axis of the stick.

SKurj

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: SKurj ]

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2001, 02:30:00 PM »
if its for AH, go to Setup, Joystick, Select joystick and map the axis to the desired sticks.

I can have my Sidewinder FFB2 (usb), my CH PRO rudder pedals (usb), my Suncom Dual Throttle (non-usb) and the TM Top Gun stick *plugged to Suncom Throttle* mapped in AH with no problem. I have to map NO axis to the Top Gun, though I tried once to map the trim tabs to it.. not much fun with a spiky stick I tell ya hehe.

Offline delta

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2001, 04:30:00 PM »
Question:

Can the same be done with a non USB set of rudder pedals. in particular a Thrustmaster set of pedals?

delta

Modification.

Thanks for the info Skurj.

[ 08-21-2001: Message edited by: delta ]

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2001, 05:33:00 PM »
I've made some headway.

I've got the CH Peds to take over rudder control but they only work in toe brake mode - i.e., if I push the left pedal forward, I get left rudder...if I depress the left pedal, I get nothing.

What I did was select rudder under the AH Controls, then select the Sidewinder and then select "none" under the joystick input option window ---that disables the rudder input from the Sidewinder "twisty".

Next, I went back to AH Controls, selected rudders, highlighted the CH Peds and finally assigned them the "Z" axis.

Final question: Can I modify what I now have so that rudders are activated by stepping down on the pedals, rather than pushing them forward?  Hey, I'm lazy  :)

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
Don't think so Dmax, the toe brakes are 2 axes

You will need to calibrate the pedals to gettem workin properly i think.

delta, yes, i used to use a racing wheel and pedals with my Ppro.  I used the TM pedals for rudder with my twisty stick, and didn't use the wheel at all, even tho the wheel had to be hooked up for the pedals to work.

SKurj

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: SKurj ]

Offline fightme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2001, 07:18:00 AM »
this is the only 1 that i know of that works with non usb microsoft sidewinders and sidewinder is dig not analog thats the problom good luck

rudders

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2001, 09:26:00 AM »
DMax if you are still having trouble give me a call.

Also after you do the stick input selection, recalibrate.

Do not run any combiner software that does axis stick mapping.

HiTech

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2001, 02:06:00 PM »
After Reading this thread...

I have simply decided I like my Twisty Stick.
Too complicated for this *Puter Dweeb*

BOOT

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2001, 10:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by hitech:
DMax if you are still having trouble give me a call.

HiTech

HT, when's the best time to find you? How much Cragganmore will this take? <G>