Author Topic: Yeeooooooouch! Computer got hit by a double surge  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Yeeooooooouch! Computer got hit by a double surge
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 02:28:37 AM »
Every PSU I have is modular and I would not have it any other way.  That aside...

Have you ever added or pulled memory without unplugging the PSU from the wall? Are you sure the 20/24 pin plug is snug in the socket?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 04:27:06 AM »
Every PSU I have is modular and I would not have it any other way.  That aside...

Have you ever added or pulled memory without unplugging the PSU from the wall? Are you sure the 20/24 pin plug is snug in the socket?

Haven't touched it since I built it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 04:54:26 AM »
Well... the bad news is that the PSU could have taken the MB and RAM with it. I wouldnt do any more until you have the new PSU handy. Then I would start testing everything from ground level just to make sure. Even if the system boots with the new PSU you should test your RAM out at least using Memtest86. It could also be that the GPU was hit and it is preventing your system from starting but usually if you have a MB mounted speaker even if the GPU is bad you will get system beeps telling you the video isnt found. You havent described any beeps so either you dont have a MB mounted speaker or... like I said MB and RAM.

Lets hope its just the PSU.  :)
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 06:16:14 AM »
Just FYI, on surge protectors;  Surge protectors take X number of hits before they stop functioning and allow all surges to merrily pass on through.  It is the nature of the consumer beast.  Replacing surge protectors once a year is the only sure way to protect your gear.

Some consumer surge protectors will have a warning light on them, that will tell you they are no longer surge protecting.  The even better ones have an audible alarm with a warning light.  For home use, those are the only ones I use as I cannot see my surge protectors once they are installed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 06:27:45 AM »
Just a heads up Getback, damages like this are covered on your homeowners (Insurance) Policy. If you had a storm go thru, more than likely you had a lightning strike. That is covered on most policys. Just weigh the costs of the computer against your deductible. (remember all the little things you have in it software,upgrades etc as this will increase the cost of the machine)
 More than likely you can explain to the adjuster that the computer is fried, he will price it (with your help) and cut you a check less your deductible.With that being said,if it is as easy as replacing a couple of parts,the cost after your deductible should cover that.  ie computer is valuated at $1000.00 less your deductible (Hypothetically)$500.00 you get a check for $500.00. Also one thing to keep in mind, its not like car insurance you get in an accident and your rates go thru the roof, with a house they may surcharge you a bit (5% or 10%) but most HO policys have a first time forgiveness and you will see no rise in rates.

Just a thought,unfortunatly most persons dont know what their HO policy covers. Im a Property Insurance adjuster (i like to think one of the good ones ),so if anyone ever has any questions let me know.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:38:08 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2010, 07:14:00 AM »
Not to be rude, but that is FLAT OUT NOT TRUE.  While many computers come equipped with onboard video AND audio, this is done quite often regardless of manufacturer.  Likewise, there ARE some Dells that have separate sound cards and/or separate video cards.  While I'm not necessarily defending the engineering or fabrication practices of Dell, I believe that you should do some research before making a broad statement like that.

I'm not bashing DELL, I think they're a great brand, I had two over the course of 7 years, suited me well. Its just that a lot of them had everything strapped to the motherboard. I understand what you're saying though  :rock

Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 07:24:46 AM »
I have a 2003 Dell that is still going strong.Not the best gamer by a long shot,but a great and reliable PC.

Question is would i buy another one, probably not, after reading these boards,my thoughts are to build one.(and my computer savy is limited to being able to turn one on )
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 07:37:24 AM »
Both my DELLs were 2003 models, ran XP like a charm. Loved those old things. Just too hard to replace parts on the older models.
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 01:32:19 PM »
Just FYI, on surge protectors;  Surge protectors take X number of hits before they stop functioning and allow all surges to merrily pass on through.  It is the nature of the consumer beast.  Replacing surge protectors once a year is the only sure way to protect your gear.

Some consumer surge protectors will have a warning light on them, that will tell you they are no longer surge protecting.  The even better ones have an audible alarm with a warning light.  For home use, those are the only ones I use as I cannot see my surge protectors once they are installed.

Good advice there. Will be grabbing a new surge protector.

I had been been working on my computer studying. I got up to get a drink. Wham the power goes out in the house and comes right back on. I see the computer rebooting, but before the full reboot, another surge and she's dead. There were no storms. It was a clear beautiful day.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:34:50 PM by Getback »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 01:46:54 PM »
Shouldnt matter, damages as the result of a "power surge" are usually covered, I just used the lightning as an example.  I have a situation now where an insd had a car hit a pole,and the pole was repaired by the electric company (incorrectly) resulting in a surge at her house,damaged computers,low volt systems (phones,security systems etc) and it was covered.    Its called Sudden and accidental damage from artificially generated electrical current.    Might be worth a call if your deductible is low enough. Good luck!!

<S>

Mbailey
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:49:40 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2010, 03:18:59 PM »
Just FYI, on surge protectors;  Surge protectors take X number of hits before they stop functioning and allow all surges to merrily pass on through.  It is the nature of the consumer beast.  Replacing surge protectors once a year is the only sure way to protect your gear.

Some consumer surge protectors will have a warning light on them, that will tell you they are no longer surge protecting.  The even better ones have an audible alarm with a warning light.  For home use, those are the only ones I use as I cannot see my surge protectors once they are installed.

Not all surge protectors are created equal that's for sure, I deal with surge protectors and line conditioners at work frequently, I've always liked and used Panamax on my equipment here.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:37 PM »
You should get a surge suppressor on your breaker panel and surge protectors and uninterruptable power supplies at your PC.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 12:36:58 AM »
I have a 2003 Dell that is still going strong.Not the best gamer by a long shot,but a great and reliable PC.

Question is would i buy another one, probably not, after reading these boards,my thoughts are to build one.(and my computer savy is limited to being able to turn one on )

Find a savvy friend or a local small store to custom build you a box. Stay away from branded boxes, seriously. They cut corners and purposedly make upgrades either costly or impossible.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 04:50:37 PM »

mbailey, it's the easiest thing in the world.. once you do it, you'll wonder why you've been afraid to all of this time.

It's nearly impossible to plug the wrong thing into the wrong place.  It's simply.. you pop in the motherboard panel and screw the motherboard in place.  You mount the processor, and then it's heatsink/fan.  You install the memory, vid card, sound card (if applicable), and any other add on cards.  You install the power supply (4 screws).  You then install the CD/DVD/BR, and hard drive(s), (and floppy if you must).  You plug in the wires from the power supply.  Put the side covers on.  Plug in keyboard, mouse, monitor.  Turn it on.. install windows disk.. reboot and done!

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »
mbailey, it's the easiest thing in the world.. once you do it, you'll wonder why you've been afraid to all of this time.

It's nearly impossible to plug the wrong thing into the wrong place.  It's simply.. you pop in the motherboard panel and screw the motherboard in place.  You mount the processor, and then it's heatsink/fan.  You install the memory, vid card, sound card (if applicable), and any other add on cards.  You install the power supply (4 screws).  You then install the CD/DVD/BR, and hard drive(s), (and floppy if you must).  You plug in the wires from the power supply.  Put the side covers on.  Plug in keyboard, mouse, monitor.  Turn it on.. install windows disk.. reboot and done!
Don't forget to plug the wires from the front panel of PC case to the motherboard, otherwise when you press the power switch nothing will happen. :)
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty