Author Topic: Satalite Internet users....  (Read 2128 times)

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
Re: Satalite Internet users....
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2010, 09:19:58 AM »
"The problem with satellite is 22300 miles up and 22300 back.  

The speed of electricity is the same on a phone line as it is on a T-1."

WELL GUESS WHAT,

radio signals (sat signals) travel at the speed of light 186,000 miles per second,  
electricity travels at   ready     186,000 miles per second

it isn't the speed of the signal but rather all the extra handling that get in the way
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Mystic2

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theunforgivenweb.com
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
I was forced into sat. as my broadband option for @ 6months..

I ended up dropping $9.95 for a dial up account to fly on.

Use the Sat. to surf and d/l stuff and the dial-up to fly on.

That is what I do also. 
FSO Setup CM
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"LIVE FREE, DIE WELL"

mystic2@ahevents.org

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »

Lag has nothing to do with warping. Think of lag being exactly the same as watching a film 1 hour later. Intermittent connections is what will cause warps.

HiTech
That's the most understandable explanation for this stuff I've ever seen
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2010, 10:03:30 AM »
Lag has nothing to do with how you hit something, what you see is what you get. How much you must lead a target has absolutely nothing to do with lag. And is the same for everyone.

The only difference with lag is it will take a little longer before you see them explode. And take them longer to hear a hit.

Lag has nothing to do with warping. Think of lag being exactly the same as watching a film 1 hour later. Intermittent connections is what will cause warps.

In a vehicle, I really can not think of any advantage having a longer lag.

HiTech

Ok, I understand that part but then that also means they do not "DIE" when you shoot them but when the lag catches up correct?  I shot a wirby the other at 400 away and he continued firing for at least 3-5 second after before his turret started smoking.  I know its not me, i check my connection all the time and my ping is in the 50-60 range.  Ive had this same thing happen with other tanks as well.  I fire at them, see a hit sprite, they fire back after the hit and we both die...
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »
Thanks HT. :)

As for the "get dial-up too" thing, are you gonna pay for it?  We already pay $80/month for Satellite, an extra 10 isn't exactly "cheap".  Then add in the fact that dial-up ties up the land-line (40/month) when used, so we'd have to use the cell phones (100+/month).  No, we can't drop satellite and go full Dial-up, we have speed required programs.

Like I said "A 1200ms ping with 1% packet loss is better then a 300ms ping with 95% packet loss." so go complaining to those people.  Banning satellite because a few people make you mad?  What about those who use it and people enjoy fighting?  Why not ban those who have more then 2% packet loss at any given time?

And yes Grumpy,we die when we hear/see the hit, not when you hear/see it.  3-5 seconds is extreme though.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline tf15pin

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 11:03:57 AM »

WELL GUESS WHAT,

radio signals (sat signals) travel at the speed of light 186,000 miles per second,  

it isn't the speed of the signal but rather all the extra handling that get in the way

The speed of a signal depends on the refractive index of the medium in which it is propagating. [n=( relative permability*relative permativity)^1/2 , speed in medium = speed in vacuum / n]  So a signal propagating through free space (n~1) is faster than a signal propagating through glass fiber (n~1.5). In all this does not contribute significantly to lag, maybe a factor of 2 or three between a free space signal and one propagating in a high index material.

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »
The speed of a signal depends on the refractive index of the medium in which it is propagating. [n=( relative permability*relative permativity)^1/2 , speed in medium = speed in vacuum / n]  So a signal propagating through free space (n~1) is faster than a signal propagating through glass fiber (n~1.5). In all this does not contribute significantly to lag, maybe a factor of 2 or three between a free space signal and one propagating in a high index material.

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Can we get that in English please?  LOL  Anyway i agree with some kind of limit to the amount or percentage of packet loss and you get kicked or not allowed to log in.  Many other online games do the same thing though its usually ping related.  I know that would piss off a certain amount of players and im not saying its what should be done here.  The packet loss reason for warping makes sense but is irritating at the same time.  Seems certain players tend to warp when it works for them, for example when guns are fired on their six.  One particular player seems to do this on a regular basis.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »

WELL GUESS WHAT,

Exactly.  Not speed but distance.  20x the distance.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »

I have just learned something new.

HiTech

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2010, 01:07:36 PM »
I have just learned something new.

HiTech

Does that not happen very often...? ;)

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2010, 01:09:46 PM »
<--not saying anything
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2010, 01:29:42 PM »
3-5 seconds never happen to me, its more like 1/2 to 1 second. If it gets bad, I don't fly.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:12 PM »
I think you're the guy I used to sit behind and copy off of in high school!
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2010, 02:22:59 PM »
Players in the States have a choice but it appears most are just too cheap to drop the 10 bucks to stop warping.

it costs more then 10 to maintain a dial up connection.  :rolleyes:
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2010, 02:39:43 PM »

Does that not happen very often...? ;)

Not something as fundamental as this.