Author Topic: WW1 is great fun why?  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: WW1 is great fun why?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 06:37:15 AM »
Snefens nailed it!

A good F2b pilot like Excelsior can give you conniption fits.

The Dr1 can be beat, you just need the right tactics and situation.
Outnumbered and lower your not going to do it.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 09:55:58 AM »
A long as I log into the game with five people (myself included) in the arena and four of em are nmy Dr1s circling my field I wont be staying in there for long. 
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 10:42:52 AM »
Snefens nailed it!

A good F2b pilot like Excelsior can give you conniption fits.

The Dr1 can be beat, you just need the right tactics and situation.
Outnumbered and lower your not going to do it.

Awww Thanks Ghosth. :)

As for the Dr1, the one thing I've found that makes them harder to kill isn't their ability to turn but their altitude.  If a Dr1 comes in above you, don't turn/climb to try to keep an eye on him/avoid.  As one of the better Dr1 pilots (iwlf) does to me, he gets me to turn to avoid a fake BnZ and then circles a little and gets me in a better spot for him to get my six.  Try to get away and get alt or get so low that he would have to risk losing a lot of alt to get to you or keep his speed in a BnZ and risk ripping apart.
In a Co-alt match don't try to make a sharp turn to get right on their six, you'll fail (unless you're in a Dr1).  Try to pull up and to your left using rudder to help you and you should be able to flip your nose right at them as they continue to turn.  If you have to turn with one try to make them turn right as you turn left.  These planes turn better left then right so you should be able to cut into his turn for a good shot.  If you both end up turning left try to remember that unless the Dr1 pilot has been flying a while he likely won't know how to keep the unstable nature of that plane from stalling out and a few jinks should get him to a speed/spot where it drops.  Changing your direction of turn after about 1-2 circles can also cause them to lose control, and if you fly an F2 don't try this unless you have alt or it will only hurt you more.
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline onerka

• Zinc Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 02:22:20 PM »
If you have the patience to stay out of the swarm...and use classic B'nz tactics...you can beat the DR, but most folks enter the arena for relatively quick action.  A knife fight in a phone booth is what the DR wants, and what lots of folks want in WWI.  You are probably not going to win that fight alone in the other planes now available...maybe sometimes, and maybe even often if you have good wing mates...but, either an F2B or Dvii, using vert moves and never giving the DR co-alt...and patience, lots of patience.  It's probably possible to get good enough in a camel...at the next "black belt" level of patience, to compete with DR's on your terms not theirs.  You won't have the best kills per sortie or kills per hour, but the DR's are not going to be able to finish you very often without a lucky shot.

Admit I like to fly the DR from lots of years of these planes...but there are other planes that can compete.  Of course that depends on the specific sim and fm...with any luck a spad 7 or 13 and perhaps an SE5a, again depending on the fm, but those should be successful alternatives should they appear.

Bottom line, stay outa the swarm...and if it is on the doorstep, maybe take off away from the base till you get alt.  Suspect you know that Yeager.

Will commit to a TOD in a different plane soon...maybe the camel.  Should be fun, and heck, they have a new one for you each time you loose one, such a deal!

Take care,

One

Offline 68Hawk

• Silver Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »
I think it's important to remember that, while the content in the WW1 area seems to be rather limited at present, all the work our benefactors have put into it represents some very important proofs of concept, and some very neat groundwork that will make the WW2 content all the more enjoyable.  The increased damage points are one example of this.  The WW1 arenas aren't really my forte or interest, but there's some beautiful stuff they've put into it.  I'm happy to see their hard work pay off.
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the reaper no more fear the Lancers!
http://www.68thlightninglancers.net

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 04:57:33 PM »

Awww Thanks Ghosth. :)

As for the Dr1, the one thing I've found that makes them harder to kill isn't their ability to turn but their altitude.  If a Dr1 comes in above you, don't turn/climb to try to keep an eye on him/avoid.  As one of the better Dr1 pilots (iwlf) does to me, he gets me to turn to avoid a fake BnZ and then circles a little and gets me in a better spot for him to get my six.  Try to get away and get alt or get so low that he would have to risk losing a lot of alt to get to you or keep his speed in a BnZ and risk ripping apart.
In a Co-alt match don't try to make a sharp turn to get right on their six, you'll fail (unless you're in a Dr1).  Try to pull up and to your left using rudder to help you and you should be able to flip your nose right at them as they continue to turn.  If you have to turn with one try to make them turn right as you turn left.  These planes turn better left then right so you should be able to cut into his turn for a good shot.  If you both end up turning left try to remember that unless the Dr1 pilot has been flying a while he likely won't know how to keep the unstable nature of that plane from stalling out and a few jinks should get him to a speed/spot where it drops.  Changing your direction of turn after about 1-2 circles can also cause them to lose control, and if you fly an F2 don't try this unless you have alt or it will only hurt you more.
Hey there X,
How was the transition from Jets to WWI planes? :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline TUK

• Silver Member
      • 13MPG
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »
I Prolly wont revisit the WW1 arena until they make a speciall event using the plane set..  Just my 2 cents.. :salute
CO WD40 (FSO)
Death From Above (DFA) - Main Arena

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
Hey there X,
How was the transition from Jets to WWI planes? :)

Hey there Spikes The Jet Dweeb Extraordinaire!
Gotta say it's been interesting.  Going from 450mph to 130mph is hard transition but seeing as I was an F2 fightin' dweeb from day 1 of WWI it hasn't been too bad (compared to Skuzz anyways).  Now to get all those Dr1 dweeb in a D7! :D
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »
Fly into the swarm....the swarm is good.     :D
The F1 is a DR1 killer if yall have a bit of patience.
325th Checkertails

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 01:22:21 AM »
Try turning off the engine govenor in the DR1, all of a sudden it's not uber machine anymore.  With it off the DR1 has to be flown more historically keeping speed at around 90-95 to avoid over rev in a dive.  I think maybe if Hitech removed the option for engine governors you see a change in the number if DR1's being flown.
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 02:17:01 AM »
Now to get all those Dr1 dweeb in a D7! :D

No  :neener:

The Few GFC

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:33 AM »
Fly into the swarm....the swarm is good.     :D
The F1 is a DR1 killer if yall have a bit of patience.

You can only hold the high ground so long......before you need to come down and fight  :devil
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 08:43:07 AM »
Try turning off the engine Governor in the DR1, all of a sudden it's not uber machine anymore.  With it off the DR1 has to be flown more historically keeping speed at around 90-95 to avoid over rev in a dive.  I think maybe if Hitech removed the option for engine governors you see a change in the number if DR1's being flown.
If you split those two ww1 arenas up between Governor enabled and Governor disabled which arena do you think the current crop of ww one'rs would flock to? 

I flew with the governor off from the very start, because it was the manly thing to do......but after a few weeks of getting looped and dived into oblivion by Dr1s seemingly impervious to the restraints I was voluntarily holding myself to I gave up and went with engine reduced/no failure mode, which is what the engine governor really is.  I would prefer if it were disabled permanently but that isn't going to happen.

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:40 AM »
It's a pickers nightmare!
Dobey

Offline passssao

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »
I left AH for a year after 9 years of flights and fights, got something bored, now I only return because there is a ww1 arena, and exclusively fly in there. About Dr1, well main arena is full of Spits and Lalas. In ww1 arena, the low numbers made a very close group of flyers, with a cortesy well over the standard you can find in other arenas, people fly with honor and respect, no mind how is your level of flight, everybody helps, salutes are a common thing there.
People enter the arena if they see people there, go into, fly, and the number will increase, 1vs1 will convert in 5vs4, enough to get fun and enjoy.

For me is the reason I fly AH now, biplanes had my heart now